lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
4/1/10 10:57 p.m.

I'm shopping for an e36 for daily-driver / autocross use and came across a listing that sounds too good to be true. And you know how the rest of that saying goes.

An example like this would normally be listed at $7000 or $8000 in this area.

So if I go check this one out, what e36 specific things should I be looking for? I know all the body panels should have BMW tags on them, for instance. Any other Bimmer nuances I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help. I haven't had a German car since our distinctly citrus-like VW Passat VR6 and I still haven't quite gotten over my Germ-o-phobia.

Here's the listing:

Josh
Josh Dork
4/1/10 11:45 p.m.

There is no such thing as an M-package on a 1997 328i, unless that's what the Canadians call a regular sport package. In any case, that looks like a sport package car with the 16" wheels and sport seats. There were a limited number of M-tech 328is coupes in '99 that had more of the m-goodies (seats, door panels, moldings, M3 bumpers, M3 sideskirts, M3 suspension) but this isn't one of those.

As far as what to look for, I generally just post this link to a writeup on Unitedbimmer.com that covers pretty much everything, better than I could in a quick forum post anyway.

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/bmw-oem-parts-department-diys-faqs/3824-ultimate-e36-common-faults-faq.html

They require a little more attention than a generic asian car, but the major stuff is pretty much bulletproof. It's still the best driving practical sedan I know of. I love my commute :).

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/2/10 1:26 a.m.

M PACKAGE!!!! hahaha.

That is a 328i with 110k miles. Nice car... $2400

Josh
Josh Dork
4/2/10 5:58 a.m.

Are you implying that car should cost $2400? Good luck with that. Anything worth buying with that mileage, manual, sport package is going to be at least double that. The price is actually lowish if that's a dealer listed car.

4/2/10 7:32 a.m.
Josh wrote: Are you implying that car should cost $2400? Good luck with that.

Around here 7k buys you a 130k mile M3. That car is a plain jane 328i with the sport package. The 'is' had 2 doors.

I had a black 97 328is - it was a nice car but in no way special or worth a premium over a nice 328i. Sports packages on anything after '92 are pretty weak and you can buy the parts that everyone else practically throws away on an M3 to upgrade with better stuff, first of which would be a LSD.

miatame
miatame Reader
4/2/10 8:25 a.m.

Yeah I wouldn't say too good to be true, but it is nice to see how much car you can get for $5k.

E36 M3s are really dropping in price right now...sadly for me since I already have one! lol I've seen a few in this mileage range go for under $10k.

The E36 328 is really a great car though. It is 80% of the M3 at 50% of the cost (used)...but isn't that always the way? You pay for what you get. For a DD 328 is probably good enough, if you push it to 10/10ths the M3 just can't be beat.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
4/2/10 8:30 a.m.

Don't forget: the OP is in Canada (prices are usually significantly higher for these cars there). Importing BMW's from the US is slightly harder than other vehicles, since BMW requires about $800+ for various paperwork and inspection. (The recall letter was $500 last I checked).

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox New Reader
4/2/10 8:34 a.m.

My wife is bugging me to buy an E36 convertible. We sold a '98 model about two years ago. The E36 part was pretty good. The interior was pretty cheap looking and little bits seem to break regularly. The electrics were a tad dodgy and the climate control and computer displays looked like they were from around 1970. But, the engine was great and the steering and braking were outstanding.

The convertible part not as good. The top was the worst thing. I had the top motor replaced for over $800 soon after I bought it. The top was always coming out of alignment and the hardware was always threatening to break off. The inside of the top seemed to be in a constant state of disintegration with this weird thin plastic coating stuff flaking off and getting all through the interior. I cringed with worry every time I put the top up or down, not quite the liberating experience people like to have with a drop top.

For a convertible, I'd much rather have a Miata. For a coupe, I'd rather have an RSX or something similar. But, if I needed a 4-dr sedan with a manual, E36s are hard to beat.

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
4/2/10 8:42 a.m.

Thanks for the replies, all.

I should clarify that yes, I'm in Canada. The sport package, up here at least, includes the M wheel and shift knob and the better seats.

I'm nervous of this one for a couple reasons; 1. Cheap price at a curbside dealer gives me the willies 2. No service records

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox New Reader
4/2/10 8:43 a.m.

In reply to lesabre400:

Well, you'll need service records. Otherwise you might want to plan on replacing the entire cooling system at some point.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/2/10 8:48 a.m.

Don't know about Canada, but the asking price seems to be roughly in line with the eastern US market. It is not a smoking deal, but not over priced either - assuming maintenance is up-to-date.

To the OP's question - these cars need a cooling system service by that mileage and usually also need some suspension bushings and perhaps front lower control arms. If that has all been done, then the price looks more attractive.

Having owned both 2 door and 4 door versions - I prefer the 4 door for day-to-day use. Not just because of the practicality of the rear doors, but also the full frame around the door glass and (I believe) the slightly larger trunk.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
4/2/10 8:58 a.m.

I second the 4 door over 2 door. In addition to being more practical, for some reason the interiors on the sedans seem to hold up better.

4/2/10 9:01 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: Having owned both 2 door and 4 door versions - I prefer the 4 door for day-to-day use. Not just because of the practicality of the rear doors, but also the full frame around the door glass and (I believe) the slightly larger trunk.

See, now... I go the other way on that because the 4 door door frame hits me right in the temple with the pointy edge when I'm trying to move around in the garage with the car doors open.

Definitely easier to put a cage in the 4 door though

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
4/2/10 9:29 p.m.

I'd run, not walk away from an E36 without any service records unless I was:

• getting it for a song and dance AND
  • willing to invest significant time (and $$$) towards deferred maintenance

My motto is to buy the best example you can within your budget when it comes to a European car.

ZOO
ZOO Dork
4/3/10 6:54 a.m.

I looked for quite a while and didn't find any manual E36s that cheap in Eastern Ontario. I'd look at it, and pay close attention to all of the documented areas of issue. If it is clean, and the maintenance checks out, that's a good deal.

I was pretty fortunate when I made a similar post in December because another forum member offered me his 98 M3 Sedan. 3000 miles later I couldn't be happier :)

If the car is near me (Kingston) I am happy to look at it for you.

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
4/3/10 12:12 p.m.

Last oct. I bought a 97 328iS for 4000.00 BUT it needed 4 tires, and control arms, tie rods, shocks, etc. What I call BMW disease.... it isn't perfect but straight, no rust, good paint, good interior So far I like it a lot.

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
4/5/10 8:03 p.m.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Josh: I appreciate the link to United Bimmer. Haven't seen that one.

ZOO: Thanks for the offer to go look, that's damn decent of you. But honestly, I'm not getting the warm fuzzies from that car anyway. It's too cheap considering it's a dealer and the lack of service records creeps me out. I think I'll keep looking.

I went to see a different one tonight. It had only 145,000 kms and had only seen one winter but it was a 320 and I'd rather hold out for a 325 or 328. The search continues.

Thank again guys.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
4/5/10 10:13 p.m.

You guys got the 320i? I will never understand why Canada gets different models than we do.

ZOO
ZOO Dork
4/6/10 5:16 a.m.
nderwater wrote: You guys got the 320i? I will never understand why Canada gets different models than we do.

Cars are more expensive here (not just because of taxes and duties, either). As a result, we get some weird combos. Even when we get the same model as the US, the trim packages and options may differ. For example, we can't get a "track" package on the Genesis Coupe -- but we get a GT package with all the same things.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CpbAx1E8l7ElQqdDGrXx22IgHPAhZJ4RPqUDX3D8RytodXENv2DDZPcvuDlnCWCm