alleykat
alleykat Reader
8/12/17 7:21 p.m.

Any body in the Richmond Va area willing to weld in new passenger sway bar mount? I have the part and will do all the grunt of cutting the old one out. I will be happy to throw some money/parts/beer/pizza your way. Otherwise could anyone recommend a mobile welder?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
8/13/17 8:19 a.m.

If you can get it to Los Angeles, I'd be happy to :)

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/14/17 2:02 p.m.

If this is a tube strut housing with a removable Koni insert, cool. If it's another setup and the sway bar mount is on the actual shock body, I'm not even sure you CAN weld a new mount on there. I think the potential for heat-deforming the body tube would mess with the piston sealing ability whenever it hit the deformed spot.

The main reason I wouldn't do it, is I weld like a farmer. Which means sometimes I burn through. Which is bad when the other side is oil under pressure. If I found a talented TIG welder that was willing to take it on, I still wouldn't let him do it on my premises, but admittedly I'm being a pansy.

Ground Control used to sell a bolt-on sway bar tab/mount as a component of their coil-over conversion kits. You could call Jay and see if he would be willing to sell you one. I don't know of another supplier.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/14/17 2:09 p.m.

Op- you're not talking about where the end links connect to the strut (m3) or the control arm (non m3) right?

You're talking about the mount that holds the bushings?

If you are talking about the end links connection, I recommend getting new m3 shocks and bolting them in. I see to remember that the non m front bar is actually bigger than the m3 version, because the m3 version bolts to the shock and has more leverage than the control arm mount. If you use a non m bar with m end links and shocks, you will get the stiffest front setup possible with factory stuff.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/14/17 3:27 p.m.

I think the E36 tends to rot the mounts off of the body

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/15/17 10:52 a.m.

D'oh! If OP means the stamped metal "cup" that is spot-welded onto the front frame tube to face the sway bar bushing bracket, that makes more sense. Sorry!

alleykat
alleykat Reader
8/17/17 12:52 p.m.
JBasham wrote: If OP means the stamped metal "cup" that is spot-welded onto the front frame tube to face the sway bar bushing bracket, that makes more sense.

That is exactly what I am talking about. It had rotted to the point that the bolts holding the sway bar bracket pulled through.

I found a local race car fabricator/builder who is welding on the replacement cup for $200.00 That seems like a very reasonable price to me.

That will allow me to get it inspected and back on the road.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/17/17 6:40 p.m.

yes, E36s like to rot those away. Not a whole lot of protection for them from road salt, water, and grit coming off of the road

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dTKpZ2ONDordnO0erCjz1yGaXSGV71hyVGi6kk7tqV9BspOVbx6ZMBdEBlJx3aB1