angelh00ner
angelh00ner New Reader
11/13/19 9:59 p.m.

I came across a 1995 M3 with 200k miles on it (I know I know). But it looks like it's been well-maintained, exterior wise. And it hasn't been in any accidents. I have yet to see it and inspect in person, im still trying to decide if the hour drive is worth it. It looks so damn good and I've never wanted a car this bad. I'm willing to put the money it to get it back to its prime. From your guys personal experience, should I strive on or look in a different direction? I just want this car man but ughh

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/13/19 10:00 p.m.

easiest of the modern BMWs to work on.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
11/13/19 10:08 p.m.

Buy. It.

Love. It.

Live. It.

The ultimate driving machine.

spandak
spandak Reader
11/13/19 10:12 p.m.

The interiors don’t hold up well so if this one has you’re probably good to go. It’s everything you can’t see that just works on these cars. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/13/19 10:20 p.m.

even then, you can get interior parts on ebay easy enough.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/13/19 10:57 p.m.
spandak said:

The interiors don’t hold up well so if this one has you’re probably good to go. It’s everything you can’t see that just works on these cars. 

Totally agree with that. If the interior isn't a pile of E36 M3 by now the whole car was probably well taken care of. 200k on the motor and trans doesn't bother me if the price is right.  I rip 200k mile motors to redline on a literal daily basis, and i mean multiples. 277k and 189k yesterday, 187k and 227k today. I've long held the opinion that 200k is kind of the sweet spot for me as a mechanic to pick something up cheap and beat the hell out of it. As long as it's not already near death from previous abuse, it should be fine. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/14/19 5:26 a.m.
Vigo said:
spandak said:

Totally agree with that. If the interior isn't a pile of E36 M3 by now...

Irony/

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/14/19 6:03 a.m.

Oooh, is it the M3 that's been kicking around the for sale board? The want is strong for that one....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/14/19 9:45 a.m.

as Vigo said, 200k is nothing for the S50.  Mine had 202k when i bought it and all i did was hoon the berkeley out of it in the industrial park at work.  would do again.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields HalfDork
11/14/19 10:03 a.m.

I think if someone was planning to drive their car for a long time, chances are they maintained it well. I would be more afraid of one of those ridiculously low mileage cars.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
11/14/19 10:03 a.m.

If it's at 200 the cooling system has probably been replaced and that's the one big thing to worry about on E36s. My S52 car is at 150k and the only issues it's really had have been external cooling system problems, although it's had many of those.

spandak
spandak Reader
11/14/19 11:34 a.m.

Quick note to those who own these or want to: I put an electric spal fan in to replace the hand grenade that was the old mechanical fan. It’s crap. The mechanical fan works great and if I did it again I would just replace that. I’ve had over heating issues with the electric. 

Mine is at 227k and runs like a top. The drivetrain anyway, the suspension is tired but that’s on me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9nPX8LfXDwovrVbzF9ZXyKwaE0yADa4X9BcLuEyzqNeUbymOkz5sX7aOeie5NjY2