1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/20/15 1:43 p.m.

Coworker is selling his 2002, 525i E39, manual trans wagon. I'm trying to tell myself I don't want it. Electric blue, no issues, well maintained and 100,000 miles. Eh, I'm sure he'll want too much money for it, anyway...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/20/15 1:52 p.m.

Purely for a point of reference, Edmunds puts private party value at around $4000 in "average" condition.

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
5/20/15 1:59 p.m.

They aren't a bad car overall pretty reliable with an inline 6 motor. The 8 cylinder ones are where you get into more interesting issues, but again just a level up on the maintenance scale.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/20/15 2:01 p.m.

Huh. NADA lists "clean trade" at 5000 and "clean retail" at 7500. If he'd take 4000 for it I'd have a hard time saying no...he showed me pictures, and it's really clean. Then again, I've no idea if it needs the BMW cooling system maintenance on it or not.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/20/15 2:01 p.m.

Electron blue?! Wow. Dream wagon...

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
5/20/15 2:04 p.m.

100k it will need the cooling maint. if not already completed

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/20/15 2:34 p.m.

Sport option or regular?

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
5/20/15 2:42 p.m.

My guess would be this color. Look right?

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
5/20/15 2:55 p.m.

I've noticed prices on these have come down pretty sharply in the last year or so. I've seen a few in the 4-5k range - and yes, manuals. E60s and E61s are out there for less than 10k which I think keeps driving the prices down. (talk about unicorns - e61 manual).

yupididit
yupididit Reader
5/20/15 7:26 p.m.

This car has been my e39 wagon inspiration for awhile.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
5/20/15 8:29 p.m.

One of my favorite cars I've owned, and I've owned some really neat stuff

photo SU1HMDA5NjctMjAxMTA3MDgtMDYwMS5qcGc.jpg

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/20/15 8:47 p.m.

One of the few cars I'd give up my manual I6 E39 sedan for is a manual I6 E39 wagon. Do want.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
5/20/15 10:11 p.m.

I shopped for mine for close to 2 years before buying the right one on Long Island - I'm near DC.

These are a car where KBB isn't necessarily representative of what a good one will fetch. Consider that in 2001 BMW imported 190 manual e39 525iTs - the 540iT was automatic only. Mine has sport suspension, the small sunroof, the simple HVAC system, cold weather package and that's it. Just under 100k miles, enthusiast owned - he put M5 front/M-Technic T rear bumpers on - and a thick stack of service records.

I paid about $10k and he was deluged with offers.

I'm keeping it forever, probably swapping in an M54 B30 engine to make it 530iT - my ideal BMW.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/21/15 7:20 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Yup, that's it. I don't know the actual BMW name for it, but it's very pretty.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
5/21/15 7:31 a.m.

Let me know if you pass on it. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Of course I have no idea where you're located, but I'm fairly centrally located.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/21/15 7:35 a.m.

I'd be interested in hearing what the location and asking price is if you pass on it, too.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/21/15 8:46 a.m.

Will keep this space notified thusly. :-)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/21/15 11:27 a.m.

Asking 7000, has newly installed HIDs, cooling system replaced at 70k, new tires, rear diff changed from 3.23 to 2.93, and 7-series armrest. Also has (not installed) fresh air intake, ECU map, and old diff/ center armrest.

No sport package- sport pack had air springs in the back on wagons, this has a conventional suspension. No premium package (that had window shades, which this doesn't have). Factory wheels. 6k on new Continental sport all seasons.

Selling because he bought a new Passat- TDI, manual trans. ;-)

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/21/15 1:17 p.m.

Sounds excellent, although quite different from the rest of your fleet.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/21/15 2:37 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Sounds excellent, although quite different from the rest of your fleet.

Hey, just because I mostly only buy and drive old crap, doesn't mean I can't aspire to nicer things. ;-)

Actually, a friend of mine is quite interested. If he passes, though, I'll let this group know.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/26/15 1:26 p.m.

My friend decided to pass (no issue with the car, just not a fit for them right now). If anyone here is seriously interested, I can pass along contact info. The seller is a co-worker on mine, so no flakes or tire-kickers, please.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/26/15 3:32 p.m.

Passat TDI manual???

<-- scampers off to vw.com...

Holy crap! When did they bring that back??? Does make me curse their decision to nix the Passat Wagon. Still... I was in a Passat a few months ago - friend's brother got one for a company car. Very nice place to spend time.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/27/15 7:21 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Yeah, if he'd gotten a new Passat TDI manual wagon he'd have won the internets.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
5/27/15 8:23 a.m.

Location?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
5/27/15 12:39 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: My friend decided to pass (no issue with the car, just not a fit for them right now). If anyone here is seriously interested, I can pass along contact info. The seller is a co-worker on mine, so no flakes or tire-kickers, please.

And just like that my wife said I can't hang out with you anymore

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZGU7yMM23gbVdOJFlYxowjvKl2eH13yU9QjcTAy57tjoAiKaMCSz341vS5LPDkyt