arivera
arivera
4/23/12 4:31 p.m.

Hello, i am new to this site but i have my eyes set on a 2003 e46 wagon. it has 140k miles on it so i am interested in a v8 conversion. years ago, i put a small block chevy in a toyota, it was fun for a first time project. I like all the kits available for the e36 through this site, does anyone know where i could find a similar conversion kit for the e46? I do not care if its a ford or chevy conversion as much as i care about the ease of doing the conversion. thanks for any advice in advance...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/23/12 4:46 p.m.

Nothing to add except you are going to fit in around here

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
4/23/12 4:58 p.m.

Good luck on that.... Electronics are the killer if you want to keep the stock gauges. Mounts are going to be custom as noone I know are commercially available.

dj
dj Reader
4/23/12 6:33 p.m.

So all it really needs is custom motor and transmission mounts plus a custom cluster/stack dash...

How hard could it be?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/23/12 6:36 p.m.

indeed.. the E46 has a lot more electronics running everything than the E36

unevolved
unevolved Dork
4/23/12 6:50 p.m.

You'd better have an electrical engineering degree... We had an E46 in a shop I used to work in with some SMG shifting issues, and wound up chasing down issues in a headlight.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/23/12 6:57 p.m.
unevolved wrote: You'd better have an electrical engineering degree... We had an E46 in a shop I used to work in with some SMG shifting issues, and wound up chasing down issues in a headlight.

Bet it had HIDs and autoleveling?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
4/23/12 7:56 p.m.

No, it was pretty thoroughly track-prepped. Not enough, apparently.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
4/23/12 8:14 p.m.

Where are you located?

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
4/23/12 8:16 p.m.

Were you thinking modular 5.0 or windsor and do you have emissions testing in your state? My thinking would probably be along the lines of a bmw 4.0 swap for maybe a better electronics connection or the stripped down track version. But then again, the electrons tend to befuddle me when they get into CAN bus configurations, but it's not impossible.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
4/23/12 8:35 p.m.

Not quite a 5.0, but a similar concept.

e46 wagon with LS1

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
4/23/12 8:49 p.m.

Might want to read up a bit:

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7939

Fair & crew have more than a little GRM cred.

arivera
arivera New Reader
4/24/12 8:29 a.m.

I read through the article and it doesn't take much to see that this is still in the developmental stages. Perhaps another year to two will clear things up. I cannot warm up to the e36 body styling, I've tried but no can do. I do like the nostalgia of the e30, something to think about. I like the wagons, wish they were more readily available. Thank you for your thread on this topic, these discussion groups are awesome...

unevolved
unevolved Dork
4/24/12 10:16 a.m.

I say do it. See what you can learn. So long as you're not too attached to the body electricals, what's the worst that could happen?

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
4/24/12 10:26 a.m.

YOU NEED TO DO THIS !!

(And take lotsa photos.) (Grin)

e_pie
e_pie Reader
4/24/12 11:06 a.m.
dj wrote: So all it really needs is custom motor and transmission mounts plus a custom cluster/stack dash... How hard could it be?

Famous last words.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RFVLMQFEy9Rq6eSxisQrIkSF2dGrVTYLMndrx0eZe5UZxTxIFzWu9twlIC2QdPts