1 2
alleykat
alleykat New Reader
1/15/14 6:14 p.m.

fragile POS... just sayin'

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
1/15/14 6:17 p.m.

All BMW cooling systems are irritating and stupid. Maybe all German cooling systems...

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/15/14 6:17 p.m.

and you just had to use "abortion" to describe your problem, great. you're a class act new guy.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
1/15/14 6:21 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

Seriously, did I offend you?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/15/14 6:24 p.m.

Plastic cooling system components don't like age and constant high heat?

That's why everybody here recommends a complete cooling system overhaul on all BMWs.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/15/14 6:29 p.m.

I just replaced my wife's radiator, coolant tank, pump, t-stat, idlers, belts and all hoses at 119k miles for under $500. As far as I could see - there wasn't anything wrong with it as it was. No cracks, etc. I just did it because she who shall remain nameless drove it with a dry power steering pump until it seized on the coldest day of the year... and the belt ripped off one of the pulleys... figured it was time to do the rest.

It's a little harder to service than an E36 but all-n-all... WTF are you crying 'bout. HTFU!

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
1/15/14 6:33 p.m.

I managed to break the new expansion tank trying to wiggle a new upper radiator hose on the thing. I know those hose clamps are good for fast production lines. But I sure would like an old fashioned hose clamp when it's time to replace hoses.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/15/14 6:43 p.m.

It is just part of owning a BMW, I did mine at 100K, it has been perfect ever since

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/15/14 7:57 p.m.

You mean spring clamps? Do you have the correct pliers? They're great because they never get loose and are always just tight enough.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/15/14 8:03 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: You mean spring clamps? Do you have the correct pliers? They're great because they never get loose and are always just tight enough.

Yep. I hated those clamps too until I bought a set of the pliers. Now I love 'em. So much faster and more precise than worm-drive clamps. Pretty much zero risk of over-tightening.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/15/14 8:24 p.m.

I think you will find that BMW cooling systems are considered a "replaceable part" that should be done every 100,000 miles. The plastics do not like too much heat and vibration, but start to get really fragile after that point.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/15/14 8:31 p.m.

Not just BMW's. I had to replace the radiator in the ex-g/f's '96 Volvo 850 for the same issue. Upper hose broke off. Makes me kinda wonder if after 10 years and over 300K miles, the radiator in my '03 may be 'due.'

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
1/15/14 8:44 p.m.

Wait until you have to do all of the plastic tubes under the intake manifold.

Hint: BMW did not make it simple to pull the intake manifold. You know how in the Red Dwarf books, Rimmer kept fantasizing about having a simple "Ship Start" button instead of a back-breakingly laborious procedure to start the ship's drive? You'll be fantasizing about introducing BMW engineers to the idea of a bulkhead connector, with the same level of invective and profanity. I'd rather do another 3000GT VR-4 transmission than an E46 intake manifold.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
1/15/14 9:16 p.m.
plance1 wrote: and you just had to use "abortion" to describe your problem, great. you're a class act new guy.

I guess you must not like arrested development (the tv show either).

from m-w.com

Abortion: arrest of development (as of a part or process) resulting in imperfection; also : a result of such arrest

• monstrosity
Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
1/16/14 12:04 a.m.

On the topic of coolant systems, there is a special place in hell for the person(s) that decided plastic end tanks on radiators were acceptable.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
1/16/14 5:26 a.m.
Lancer007 wrote: On the topic of coolant systems, there is a special place in hell for the person(s) that decided plastic end tanks on radiators were acceptable.

Desert state? (mouses over username, nothing happens because of forum change, clicks profile) Desert state.

Six of one. You have plastic and rubber bits failing, we still have the tubes failing or the crimps corroding apart long before the plastic breaks. They still last a ton longer than those heavy old copper/brass monstrosities.

Consider it compensation for living in a state where the major structure of the car isn't considered a wear item and you don't need to get out the torches every time you need to remove a fastener

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/16/14 8:28 a.m.
alleykat wrote: Seriously, did I offend you?

This is the internet. Some people log on just to be offended.

Back on topic, yes, every time someone asks me if they should buy an e46, I say "yes"--then list the coolant system items they need to address. For some reason, they keep walking away from the purchase!

Margie

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
1/16/14 9:51 a.m.

Could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of this magical wrench which will make me love the new hose connectors?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/16/14 9:56 a.m.

you're talking about the -_- looking ones right?

If so, IIRC, these work. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25198?seid=srese1&gclid=CIT6qMeHg7wCFY1FMgodPwMAxA

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/16/14 9:56 a.m.

I think it's part of the massive german plan to take over the world. You see, the war didn't end when Germany surrendered in 1945. It's still going on, to this very day. The over engineering of every intricate piece of German automobiles is their torture device, and we're the detainees. The CEL on VAG's are designed to harm our vision for the next invasion. Their uniforms will be orange, their planes and tanks as well. We'll literally never see them coming until it's over.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/16/14 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

LMAO!!!!

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
1/16/14 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Hmm, makes me wonder about the automotive fallout from the Korean war.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/16/14 10:02 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Hmm, makes me wonder about the automotive fallout from the Korean war.

Ever worked on a Korean car? Super simple. you need a 10/12/14/17/19 anda #2 philips and you can take the whole car apart. Everything is easy to change. Even here in the Salt belt.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/16/14 10:11 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Hmm, makes me wonder about the automotive fallout from the Korean war.
Ever worked on a Korean car? Super simple. you need a 10/12/14/17/19 anda #2 philips and you can take the whole car apart. Everything is easy to change. Even here in the Salt belt.

In the unlikely event that you would actually need to repair something

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/16/14 10:12 a.m.
yamaha wrote: you're talking about the -_- looking ones right? If so, IIRC, these work. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25198?seid=srese1&gclid=CIT6qMeHg7wCFY1FMgodPwMAxA

I skipped the piece-meal approach and bought a kit that will do pretty much all of them:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-18453-astro-pneumatic-9406.aspx

I use the cable one for most spring clamps (typical on VAG products). A must-have for clamps that seem to be in impossible locations. The 3rd one from the left works great on the flat-band clamps common on MINI's.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zteGSGDOPsCJPeWcuWbPlC1WCYVE424VXkqnWl7QNGTg6Aq6WnAEAqujLOxszBx5