1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/16/14 10:18 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Hmm, makes me wonder about the automotive fallout from the Korean war.
Ever worked on a Korean car? Super simple. you need a 10/12/14/17/19 anda #2 philips and you can take the whole car apart. Everything is easy to change. Even here in the Salt belt.
In the unlikely event that you would actually need to repair something

Well, the older ones required timing belt changes. Now it's just a 5 minute oil change and the occasional tire rotation.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/16/14 10:52 a.m.

Worm gear clamps offend me. OEM-style spring clamps are cool, but having to buy a special tool to work with them offends me. Plastic radiator end tanks offend me because the last time I had one fail, the radiator only lasted 13 years. The nerve of those people! Offensive people offend me. Defensive people offend me also.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/16/14 10:55 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
yamaha wrote: you're talking about the -_- looking ones right? If so, IIRC, these work. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25198?seid=srese1&gclid=CIT6qMeHg7wCFY1FMgodPwMAxA
I skipped the piece-meal approach and bought a kit that will do pretty much all of them: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-18453-astro-pneumatic-9406.aspx I use the cable one for most spring clamps (typical on VAG products). A must-have for clamps that seem to be in impossible locations. The 3rd one from the left works great on the flat-band clamps common on MINI's.

All i see here is that spring clamps suck so berkeleying bad that you need to have a 7 piece plier kit on hand to work on them properly.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/16/14 11:02 a.m.

He's not talking about the spring type hose clamps. BMW uses a large circlip to secure hoses. I have found that the Behr coolant reservoirs leave the small outlet about 1mm too long for the the hose to clip in place. I always file off the tip off the small neck to get the hose to snap in place. Using some lube helps too.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/16/14 11:36 a.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Using some lube helps too.

Also a good idea if you have the work done at the dealership...

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
1/16/14 11:37 a.m.

These little devils get are an absolute pain to slide of and on. In my case, I actually cracked the overflow reservoir (the second I have had to replace in 100k mi) at its base.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/16/14 11:39 a.m.

Huh... I just got a call from the Mercedes dealer across the street. Said he wants to take me to lunch. SHould I be worried? He mentioned somethign about "discussing the plan in depth" and then "visiting the lake for a nice chat".

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IDkUz3HJo4WjDwTAcNNfD4Mt1ng2X0Cndsc9dsZtU5O8kOdRiIrAdW9epDqlKXgG