1 2 3
Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
10/19/09 11:51 a.m.

True, but we're talking 25-year-old cars here. Even though the steel is high quality, no galvanizing lasts forever. Besides, the zinc is "sacrificial so once that's gone, the steel is next.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe New Reader
10/19/09 12:07 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: The 944 was galvanized IIRC, so rust was never really and issue with them.

tell this to my battery tray. if you can find it.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
10/19/09 12:36 p.m.

944 bodies do not just rust out. You can get localized rust in the battery area, but general rust is very rare.

The 944 has a good combination of zinc and rubberized undercoatings that give it a very good protection. I personally live in a dry climate so I have never seen any rust on a 944 other that in the battery area. Even ones that have sat outside wrecked just don't rust. In this climate the tub will indefinitely.

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/19/09 2:30 p.m.

They don't salt the roads here so we have no problems. 1st Gen RX-7's are known to rust in certain spots and mine is clean as a whistle. Same story on the P71 and every other I've ever owned up here.

Of course looking at 944's in NH isn't going to help...

Joe,

Thanks again for the advice. I am definitely favoring the 83-85 cars now. I looked really close at the early / late interiors and I really think I like the early ones better. It probably helps that they are so similar to my 7's interior...

I'm looking really hard at making a deal with Carrera4 and his 66K mile 83 944 in the Classifieds. Were hung up on shipping but looking at a possible swap.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
10/19/09 2:45 p.m.

83's are nice due to the manual steering rack. This is great for track use. I converted my 84 to manual steering by using an 83 rack. The downside is heavier feel on the street especially when parking. Also for autocross you really need to develop Popeye arms. I used to autcross my 83 that I got for parts. Fun car to run, but I really had to toss it in the tight slaloms. In more sweeping corners the feedback from the manual rack was superb even with street tires.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe New Reader
10/19/09 3:05 p.m.

be sure to check the battery tray no matter what, I peeled back some fiberglass on mine and was looking at my shoes

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/19/09 4:16 p.m.
Tetzuoe wrote: be sure to check the battery tray no matter what, I peeled back some fiberglass on mine and was looking at my shoes

Wow. I live in Indiana, and we have our fair share of rust, and I've never really seen a 944 rust here. Although the battery hold down nut rusted to the bolt, and the whole damn stud broke off last time I changed my battery. I guess that will happen when it's left sitting outside under a tree, and leaves clog the battery tray drains.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/19/09 4:18 p.m.
Tetzuoe wrote: be sure to check the battery tray no matter what, I peeled back some fiberglass on mine and was looking at my shoes

Actually, if you took a good look at the Fox, you'd KNOW we get rust around here!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
10/19/09 4:24 p.m.
joepaluch wrote: 944 bodies do not just rust out. You can get localized rust in the battery area, but general rust is very rare. The 944 has a good combination of zinc and rubberized undercoatings that give it a very good protection. I personally live in a dry climate so I have never seen any rust on a 944 other that in the battery area. Even ones that have sat outside wrecked just don't rust. In this climate the tub will indefinitely.

I'm in CA and you're in AZ (been to Pima by the way). That's why I was telling P71 to come out west. They last forever here so it's possible to buy one affordably with absolutely no rust at all. Of course, the interior will be fried so that can be sourced from a cooler climate.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
10/19/09 4:30 p.m.
pigeon wrote:
JeepinMatt wrote: I remember back in high school/early college when I was looking for a project car I very seriously considered a 944. Gettin nostalgic about it. Pricey though, and in the end I'm glad I got the E30.
I remember back in high school 944s were new, which I guess makes me OLD

depends on your point of view... XKE's were still selling new when I finished high school... (1967)

EricM
EricM HalfDork
10/19/09 4:50 p.m.

Rust: I think that I read someplace that all the steal for 944s were galvanized, as such, I would expect them to resist rusting. Mine has some surface rust near the rear wheel wheel, but I am just going to scrub it down and hit with a rust inhibiting paint.

The whole car is getting an overspray (same color) sometime, probably after I fix the leaking power steering. And the ususal exhaust / suspention / tires / seat modifications.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/19/09 6:24 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: booo, deserter....hiss, whip him within an inch of his life......
50 lashes with a wet noodle traitor.

Like hell. I plan to load a M16 clip with apex seal springs and go traitor huntin'.

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/19/09 9:35 p.m.

Washington state is the West Coast fellas... Again they don't salt up here, none of the 100+ cars I've drug home have had rust issues. My RX-7 is spotless without even any surface scale. I know the 944 battery box issue comes from battery acid leaks and I will look out for that.

And I'm no traitor, I'm just waiting for Audra to tire of her GP GT and get an RX-8, she loves them Either that or wait for the 16X to finally arrive so I can shoehorn it ino something.

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/19/09 9:38 p.m.

Joe,

One of the 944's I've driven was an 83, and I liked the manual steering. I'm already used to autocrossing a manual steering RX-7, which is recirculating ball so it's not even all that great. I think the 944 will feel similar but better.

Carrera4's 83 is in the GRM classifieds if you don't mind checking it out. He's getting me some additional pictures.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
10/19/09 11:41 p.m.
P71 wrote: Washington state *is* the West Coast fellas... Again they don't salt up here, *none* of the 100+ cars I've drug home have had rust issues. My RX-7 is spotless without even any surface scale. I know the 944 battery box issue comes from battery acid leaks and I will look out for that.

Sorry, man. I forgot you were from Washington.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe New Reader
10/20/09 7:46 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
Actually, if you took a good look at the Fox, you'd KNOW we get rust around here!

here, found the pic: thats looking down through the corner of the battery tray.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/20/09 7:56 a.m.

WOW!!!!! I wonder if it had a battery explode at some point?

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe New Reader
10/20/09 8:07 a.m.

I think it was installed on its side or something. Imagine my surprise when I first washed it down, hey its got a passenger foot washer! (yes, that's the passenger's carpet in the pic)

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/20/09 8:26 a.m.

At least you didn't have to worry about water collecting in the rain tray!

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/20/09 8:28 a.m.

Yikes!

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe New Reader
10/20/09 8:42 a.m.

yeah so, moral of the story, be wary of fiberglass in the battery tray. I want to smack whoever's idea it was to lay it over rust. there was even a patch of fiberglass in the wheel well, it dropped to the ground when I poked it, hence the shot above. Ive already welded a plate in there and im waiting for a buddy to cut up his parts car to get a whole new tray.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
10/21/09 8:56 a.m.
P71 wrote: Joe, One of the 944's I've driven was an 83, and I liked the manual steering. I'm already used to autocrossing a manual steering RX-7, which is recirculating ball so it's not even all that great. I think the 944 will feel similar but better. Carrera4's 83 is in the GRM classifieds if you don't mind checking it out. He's getting me some additional pictures.

Seems like a decien car at a decient price. However transporting it will cost as much as the car. If you look you can probably fine one much closer for similar money. Their are alot of 944s in California.

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/21/09 3:02 p.m.

We're seeing about $800 right now. SoCal is $400 though, so not much better. There's quite a few local cars. I found a gunmetal one in Seattle that looks promising.

I need to get serious about selling the RX-7 though...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xSsXpQizjO6380vTJkR1EGnph4g1jhL2YISXovzwEjuB4SbCoidsRlkL1myQDpRI