1 2
phongshader
phongshader New Reader
1/17/17 1:05 p.m.

I've searched the interwebs for this info but found no info other than bore x stroke and other internal engine dimensions. What I'm looking for is the external dimensions of the engine, height, width, and length of the engine. Any one have the info?

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/17/17 1:12 p.m.

Supposedly the block itself is roughly 8.5 inches tall by 11 inches long...Probably not quite what you're looking for, but maybe you can extrapolate something mildly useful from it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/17 1:14 p.m.

Contact Ford Racing. It's a crate engine, they should be able to provide dimensions.

phongshader
phongshader New Reader
1/17/17 2:06 p.m.

I did a quick search on the Ford Performance website and there was no listing for a 1.0 Ecoboost crate engine, do you have url?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/17 2:40 p.m.

This is the sort of situation where a single phone call is a lot faster and more effective than searches and forum questions. For some reason I thought they had a 1.0 crate, looks like they may only have all the others.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/contact-us/

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
1/17/17 2:46 p.m.

Interesting that you're looking for dimensions. What are you planning to put it into?

Ecoboost mini-Locost would be cool.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
1/17/17 3:35 p.m.

And that brings up another interesting question: What RWD transmissions bolt up to the Focus ST motor?

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/17/17 3:57 p.m.

In reply to jstein77:

That should be the NC Miata 5 and 6 speed, 2001.5+ Ranger 4cyl 5 speed, or T5 if you pop for a Quad4Rods bellhousing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/17 4:47 p.m.

Does the 1.0 Ecoboost use the same bellhousing as the 2.0? The latter will fit the Miata trans. I don't know about the little one.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/17/17 4:48 p.m.

Supposedly fits in a suit case.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/17/17 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I am under the impression that the 1.0EB likely has the current 1.6 pattern, rather than the current 2.0/2.3/2.5 pattern.

MrChaos
MrChaos HalfDork
1/17/17 5:47 p.m.

the block is the same size as an A4 piece of paper. here are some pics

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
1/17/17 8:41 p.m.

From what I've read on the forums, the 125 hp version of the 1.0 liter Fox (which is, I think, the one we got here in the USA) can make about 160 with just a reflash. But if you swap in the stock turbo from the 1.6 liter Sigma (and reflash) you can make 200 hp. If you could mate that engine to the MX5's 6-speed trans, you'd have an awesome package for a super light car.

How awesome would it be to have an engine like that in, say, a TR6 chassis? It would basically be a front-mid engined car!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/17/17 8:52 p.m.

Supposedly, coming from the British Locost forums, it's a torquer not a revver and not at all fun to drive.

I thought it would make a good transverse middie 7 since you could easily balance the weight to keep it from being tail happy. Transverse middies tend to be a little bit Porsche like in their handling characteristics and want to bite you (see all the posts and tests on the Atom).

But that's because the engine is such a huge percentage of the weight so with the smaller engine you could balance the thing so that you or I ought to be able to work out the handling.

But from what I understand, once again from the Brit site, there doesn't seem to be a harness or easy way to use the engine like there is on the 4 cyclinder version.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/17/17 9:06 p.m.

I'm thinking Insight. A 1.0 and manual trans should be a whole heck of a lot lighter than a K24.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
1/17/17 10:38 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Supposedly, coming from the British Locost forums, it's a torquer not a revver and not at all fun to drive.

Can you provide a link? I perused a number of UK Locost threads and did not get that impression at all.

phongshader
phongshader New Reader
1/18/17 9:29 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Interesting that you're looking for dimensions. What are you planning to put it into? Ecoboost mini-Locost would be cool.

Kreb and I are doing research into putting one in an Abarth SP1000 http://lightningbugcars.com/1000SP.html

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/18/17 1:44 p.m.

One of my coworkers has a mint 1991 Festiva. I'm sure it would be a blast with a 3cyl ecoboost!

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
1/18/17 3:24 p.m.

Just an added FYI. I spoke with a Ford Rep at PRI this year and asked if they would offer a wiring/ECU for the 1.0 liter EB for aftermarket use and he said no there was no market.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
1/18/17 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Zeitgeist:

Maybe not over here, but they sell a ton of 1.0 ecoboosts in Europe and standalone products are available from the UK. Not cheap, but not Haltech prices either.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/18/17 4:08 p.m.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/18/17 4:10 p.m.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/18/17 4:11 p.m.

patentgeek
patentgeek New Reader
9/27/19 5:19 p.m.

SCS-Delta makes a stand alone controller kit:

https://www.scs-delta.co.uk/ford-ecoboost-ecu

To my knowledge, Ford Performance has not distributed external dimensions for the 1.0l Fox (3-cylinder) Ecoboost like for the 2.3l Ecoboost.  When I inquired with Ford Performance, they directed me to SEMA.  After some back and forth I was directed to the SEMA Tech Transfer program.  They indicate that Ford can provide full 3D CAD data files, but one must first be approved by Ford, and applicants must be SEMA Manufacture Members.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/27/19 7:40 p.m.
Knurled said:

I'm thinking Insight. A 1.0 and manual trans should be a whole heck of a lot lighter than a K24.

I don't remember this line of thought at ALL, but I really like what Past Me was thinking.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
skDfvI9PS9uUE4k4N5ZlOH8lmJRIj6anbNu8LiU4mhBMNEsS77ZaVhdF3lJuzHk7