1 2 3 4
Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
3/10/11 1:55 a.m.

I should go to school for journalism. Seriously. GRM would be such an awesome place to work, and I can take advantage of that dirt cheap real estate in Palm Coast.

For you guys that are looking to relocate if this works out for you, please do check the real estate prices in the area. Pretty much every house in Palm Coast is selling for 1/4 of what it would have sold for 4 years ago. A dream job and a cheap house. It really can't get too much better than that.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
3/10/11 6:16 a.m.

Looks like we almost have a GRM triple-crown developing: FF Design Contest, Editorial Position -- what could be the third?

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/10/11 6:17 a.m.

In reply to Derick Freese:

And the prices are not going up for years to come.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/10/11 6:33 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Too bad I can't write for E36 M3. Otherwise, I'm decently qualified. And I don't think my post count and board rank would help.

I'm not sure if my post count is a hindrance or a help. It proves that I don't do jack at work, but it also proves that I am enthusiastic, if nothing else...

dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
3/10/11 6:58 a.m.

This would be my dream job. To bad my employment path took me in a different direction. I will apply when I retire

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/10/11 7:10 a.m.
Keith wrote: I can't say you didn't make me think about it...

You made me consider whether I could move to Colorado. Still not sure I made the right call on that one...

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/10/11 7:16 a.m.
ZOO wrote: Looks like we almost have a GRM triple-crown developing: FF Design Contest, Editorial Position -- what could be the third?

Chinese buffet

jg

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/10/11 7:18 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
ZOO wrote: Looks like we almost have a GRM triple-crown developing: FF Design Contest, Editorial Position -- what could be the third?
Chinese buffet jg

I am SO IN.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/10/11 7:18 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Keith wrote: I can't say you didn't make me think about it...
You made me consider whether I could move to Colorado. Still not sure I made the right call on that one...

I wanna move to Colorado!!!!!!

Keith, you want to extend Flyin' Miata to FWD Mazda chassis?!?!?!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/10/11 7:37 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I can haz read?

I think a PowerDork post count is certainly qualification enough. You can always pick up reading comprehension, proper grammar and spelling as you go.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/10/11 7:38 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Chinese buffet jg

If it has a soft-serve machine I'm all over that.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/10/11 7:42 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

If a Chinese buffet is included in the compensation package, I am even more flexible as per the monetary compensation.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
3/10/11 7:49 a.m.

"This is a full-time, in-house position" - Well, I need to leave the house occasionally so that may be an issue.

"Candidates should have a degree in journalism, communications, English, public relations or closely related field of study" - Hey, I should have a degree in all of those! So I qualify.

"photography skills are a plus" - I have three pictures of bigfoot. Huh? Who else can say that? I'm a show in!

"equivalent experience will be considered" - I have spent hours laying under a greasy car and then complained about it later. Is that close?

"Competitive salary based on experience and ability" - I currently make $432.50 per hour...I assume that this will be an increase.

Seriously, that is very cool and I wish I was 20 years younger!

kreb
kreb Dork
3/10/11 8:39 a.m.

All I can say is: Clearly you need a West Coast office. I'd be happy to set it up for you!

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/10/11 8:57 a.m.

(sigh...)

I remember the last time GRM posted a job opening.

Although I work as an electrical engineer, I went to school for journalism and what I really dreamed about was to write for a car magazine. What I was pretty good at in school, however, was editing the newpaper article submissions for grammer and format as well as page-layout editing.

If I was 15 years younger and didn't already have a near paid-for house and my writing technique wasn't so rusty and I could get past the idea of moving from the land of hills, snow and rust to the flat land of hurricanes and insects...

(sigh...)

HStockSolo
HStockSolo New Reader
3/10/11 9:03 a.m.

I am very excited to hear about this. I applied back in 2006 but will send updated information. I have gained a lot of experience since then. I recently became the editor of The Hero Driver's Journal for The Furrin Group, a popular car club here in Grand Rapids. I am looking forward to applying!

--Matthew Huizing

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
3/10/11 9:46 a.m.

Wow. I would be really good at this job. Almost makes me regret my status as "semi-retired".

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/10/11 9:47 a.m.

I cant believe Im the first to mention that the 3rd leg of the trifecta MUST be pink stig...srsly

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/10/11 9:50 a.m.

We are not that hung up on the degree, but we want to make it real clear that we need someone with very good English skills (I don't have the English skills to get this job). Part of your job would be to make it look like I have the English skills to get this job.

Despite what some have said, this is a kick ass place to live. It's not perfect, but it does rock. There is always car stuff, and other stuff to do. The weather is freaking awesome, except from about mid July to mid September and houses are cheap. $200,000 buys you a really nice place with land and a big garage. There is not that much traffic, the schools are real good, if you live in the right neighborhoods and there is no state income tax.

Those who know us, know we run this place more like a cult, than a company. We share profit, get the entire company involved in most decisions and really love what we do.

It scares me how many people I have interviewed over the years who have been afraid to take a chance and do something they love. Their parents, spouses or other realities have kept them tethered to a place or career they hate.

The guys and gals who have been here a while make decent livings, love it here, own their own homes and seem very stable. We have also been in business for over 26 years, have employees who have been here for 20 years and are not what you would really call a risky proposition.

Give it some thought... we would rather hire from the family, then bring in an outsider.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
3/10/11 9:53 a.m.

You're seriously tempting me to apply. I've done 14 Chicago winters. This one pretty much burned me out on crappy weather.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
3/10/11 10:20 a.m.

Oh man, I'm very tempted. Hell, I'll put something together and send it in. Can't hurt!!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
3/10/11 10:41 a.m.

Man, if I lived down there, I'd be all over this.

I didn't go to school for journalism, but I did go for history, so my English skills are actually very good. I was even invited to submit works to an academic historical journal back in college, aptly named The Historian. I need to brush up on some freelance automotive-related writing before applying for the big time stuff anyway.

stroker
stroker Reader
3/10/11 11:15 a.m.

I can't imagine you'd be able to pay me enough to move to FL, based on my one experience there a few years ago...

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
3/10/11 11:16 a.m.

I could probably survive the pay cut but the divorce would be damn expensive.

Just think of all the trouble I could get into if I worked someplace that encouraged my oddities.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/10/11 11:30 a.m.

Too bad my Wife is the journalist in the family. And she's not a car nut.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j1Vgab78oHsLY575vaodGAC4iCl7s9gMlwatshpvx0EC9ZoYtjCKO71fsnSoAxVM