PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/22/15 6:23 p.m.

In my search for vans, trucks, and other large vehicles with ground clearance, I keep seeing manual transmission Ram 1500's from the mid 2000's for cheap. Some of them under $4500 with less than 130,000 miles. For a truck that new, that's a decent deal.

How are these in terms of reliability?

airwerks
airwerks Reader
6/22/15 7:33 p.m.

Be wary of any 4.7's without oil change history. I like that motor, but it DOES NOT put up well with maintenance neglect. Some valve spring issues (break and can cause a misfire) too.

Opti
Opti Reader
6/22/15 7:42 p.m.

Family has 4. 2 over 300K (including mine) 1 over 200K and 1 @ 150. 3 Hemis, 1 4.7.

Overall have been very reliable, and cheap to run.

Which engine you looking at.

4.7s have some cooling issues, dont let them get too hot when something breaks and its not that big a deal, water pumps and radiators mostly.

They all have condensor fan issues, not that big of a problem, with a little cutting you can get the new assembly in without opening the system, all of mine are still on the stock compressor and components, put a condensor fan in 2 of them 1 of which is on its third one.

Driver side seat bottom tears, foam wears out quickly. New foam still availble cant remember if cover is still available.

They sometimes have evap issues, not super common, none of mine have had any.

DBW ones seem to have TB issues every once in a while, although like most cars if you clean it periodically failures arent very common, failures arent super common anyways.

Auto trannies are pretty robust. 3 of mine have stock trannies, the 350K mile Hemi that tows a trailer and camper constantly just got a rebuild, mine with a 4.7 is still on its stock trans at 300K and just got it's first fluid change, it also tows a trailer pretty regularly.

4wd versions need ball joints pretty commonly and hubs, 2wds not as much.

I can give you a rundown of everything thats been replace on them.

03 4.7 2wd 300K miles. Waterpump twice. Thermostat. Radiator twice. Condensor fan. PCV valve. Plugs twice. ball joints @295K. Brakes twice on both axles. Shocks. air filter. Ignition Switch. Trans fluid and filter.

Needs an oil pan gasket (new leak within last 10K miles) and actuator (doesnt blow heat out driver side).

05 5.7 4wd.

Trans rebuild at like 340K, fluid was never changed. Waterpump. Thermostat. Condensor fan - twice. EGR solenoid. Plugs - twice. Fuel pump. Brake - 2 or 3 times on front axle 2 on rear axle. 1 front axle. All 4 ball joints - replaced twice. Shocks. 1 rear wheel seal. Hubs - 3 total hubs. p/s pump. 4WD shift rod bushings.

07 5.7 4wd about 200k. Literally has only had oil, air filters, tires, wipers and brakes. No repairs that arent considered wear items.

04 2500 5.7 4WD. Brother just bought it for peanuts and it has a small evap leak code, havent bothered to track it down has like 160K on it.

Opti
Opti Reader
6/22/15 7:43 p.m.

Forgot early 5.7s have valve keeper issues that can cause it to drop a valve, not super common and never worried me.

Trucks with 20s seem to wear out hub assemblys quicker.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/22/15 11:22 p.m.

You want the 02-up DR body over the 01-down BR body...

Most of my dealership wrenching on those trucks were 4.7 related. 5.7's were either EVAP codes, normally the rubber vent line cracked from heat or lost the pump, or egr valve failure. Done a bunch of 9.25" bearing repairs. Recirc door above the blower motor breaks but it's a 30 min repair, literally and no dash pulling either. Just avoid the 03 Hemi as its a special deal to make it work and I'm sure some of the parts to fix it, ie-electrical, are NLA.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
6/23/15 6:48 a.m.

I ordered my 03 in 02 with a 360, it ate hubs and ball joints. Had it til 96,000 and it was already rusting and had hard start issues that I couldn't pin down. Still looked nice and drove nice.

photo Ram02.jpg

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
6/23/15 7:14 a.m.

I know 2 different people that have lost a front wheel/hub assembly on these trucks, both 4x4 I think. Like literally, the whole front hub and wheel left the truck while driving down the road, truck became a tripod.

I guess all the folks claiming ball joint issues are onto something.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
6/23/15 7:24 a.m.

Those trucks are nothing but rust up in Michigan.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
6/23/15 7:47 a.m.

My '06 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 (5.7 HEMI/5spd AT) was a solid truck and I miss it already. I bought it in 2010 with 135k on it, and put 16k on it over the next five years.

Here's the rundown of what I replaced:

• Spark plugs/Valve cover gaskets
  • EGR Valve
  • Serpentine Belt/Tensioner
  • One O2 sensor
  • Water pump/radiator hoses/thermostat & housing/idler pulleys

4.7L issues aside, the biggest issue I've seen is rust (although you will likely not have that issue in your new location). HVAC systems can be a pain (blend doors break, etc.) but that's about it.

I'm actually a Chevy truck guy, but the Dodge was exactly what I needed. If I was looking for another truck, I'd definitely give the Dodges a look. One negative is that Dodges are tougher to sell than the equivalent Ford or Chevy pickup because they have a smaller following.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
6/23/15 8:18 a.m.

You're concerned about the longevity of Suburbans, Astros, and I6 Econolines, yet you're talking about a gas Ram?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/23/15 10:35 a.m.

These things sound like nightmares. Sticking to Chevy or non-mod Ford.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
6/23/15 2:43 p.m.

They weren't nightmares, it was the after Mercedes, yeah! Cerberus years so quality starting out wasn't very great. They got better as they went but the 4.7 was never very good. I loved mine even with the issues.

Opti
Opti Reader
6/24/15 1:55 p.m.

My favorite truck is a vortec headed OBS chevy. Spending my money, it's what it'd be hunting for.

My first daily driver was a 96 z71 I bought with 260k miles and sold at 370k miles, and I grew up in a 93 suburban I finally crashed with 350k miles, which my dad loved so much he replaced just last year (9 years later) with another 93 4x4 burb, bought it with about 100k on it and it's already over 150k.

BUT all of our dodges have been better trucks, getting better fuel economy, and needing less repairs.

underpowered
underpowered New Reader
6/24/15 2:32 p.m.

Bought an '08 1500 quad cab in 2009 with 26k on it. Was my wife's daily driver for a little over 5 years. Traded it in this February with 112k on it. Had the 4.7 and was 2wd. Got about 18mpg. In the time we had it, I replaced the water pump, belt, air filter and spark plugs. Did regular oil changes with M1 synthetic. It was always good to us right up until the end. When we traded it in, it needed a left side head gasket (would seep when cold, by the time it was up to operating temp it was dry), and NONE of the actuator motors/blend doors for the climate control worked anymore. I didn't fix it because it didn't really meet our needs anymore and I despise repairing my own vehicles.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
6/24/15 3:23 p.m.

In the land of salt, Rust. My F-I-l had an '02 4.7, standard cab short bed 4x4. I think he bought it in '08. The original 4.7 died at 120k. He replaced it maybe 3 years ago at 200k. I think it is still running under it's new owner as a secondary vehicle. I would say most issues it had could be traced to neglectful ownership.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
6/24/15 9:29 p.m.

They rust like they were pre-dipped in the Atlantic during assembly. Every one of them I see up here has a rotted out bed and rotted bumpers.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/24/15 10:02 p.m.

I wouldn't recommend it. The only reason to put up with those trucks is some of them were wrapped around a nice Cummins turbodiesel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fIma63rCf5g7ErLKgmkRoBOZw4QHeQNSe40uQYapCWaApbimxMJYLweZtolkyufQ