1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/5/13 10:59 a.m.

Yeah, they're dumb like that.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
4/5/13 1:45 p.m.

Think of them like the Toyota Avalon and the Camry.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/5/13 1:49 p.m.

It's making really hard to get the replacement broken trim pieces I need.

I do have to say, I don't understand all the hate for this car. The engine is willing, it doesn't have McStruts so it actually steers and handles alright, the brakes are great, and the sport shift thingie works nice. It's no Miata, but it's nice cruiser convertible. Hasn't been to terrible to work on and seems well screwed together for it's era.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
4/5/13 1:54 p.m.

Yeah the convertible is based off of the old Cloud car chassis, which is the same one used in the NATCC on the original Stratus, etc and was a very nice car.

The same generation coupe was based on the Mitsu chassis and wasn't as nice, but also wasn't a bad car in the grand scheme of things, just not exactly exciting, Basically they were rental car fodder which isn't a good way to sell cars in the long run.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/5/13 9:42 p.m.
As I have now found out after three junkyards, the convertible shares nothing with the coupe. The interiors are completely different. WTF Chrysler?!?!

Eh, they were based on platforms from different manufacturers so i wouldnt expect them to have parts commonality in the interior. If anything, it's just weird that they named both versions Sebring.

I do have to say, I don't understand all the hate for this car. The engine is willing, it doesn't have McStruts so it actually steers and handles alright, the brakes are great, and the sport shift thingie works nice. It's no Miata, but it's nice cruiser convertible. Hasn't been to terrible to work on and seems well screwed together for it's era.

They're perfectly normal cars for non-carsnobs, but naturally most forum communities turn their nose up because we can all be shameless snobs on the internet. I dont love them but they are perfectly normal cars. I almost bought a running 2.5 98 model for $800. I ended up buying a 1982 Lebaron convertible for $800 instead which is a E36 M3tier car in most objective measures, but i still like it more.

The same generation coupe was based on the Mitsu chassis and wasn't as nice,

In my opinion the hardtop DSM sebrings looked nicer and were finished out nicer on the inside, but they have some super cheesy interior stuff that breaks in all of them, just like every other 2g DSM. I had a 96 Avenger that i painted Viper Red and put 18s on and to this day i still think it was/is a cool car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0S4LXKLjSsH586nNL13UIhHMY4HvyuGFbfI78DDA3mJMoDiNQh447HqcuQavsbXK