turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
7/6/14 3:42 a.m.

Specifically a 95 740iL. It's the FIL's and he's likely to give it to us. It's big, black, sitting on 20's and is V8 powered with an automatic. It has been well-maintained and repaired not too long ago.

I'm thinking a nice set of lowering springs with whatever else underneath that needs to be refreshed to reduce the horrendous fender gap. Probably sell the 20's and put something reasonablely understated and decent under it.

I throw my ignorance upon the mercy of the collective and beg for knowledge or just sarcastic barbs, whichever I'm deemed worthy of.

In other words, what are your thoughts?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/6/14 6:59 a.m.

I can say this.. the sport model of the e38 came with 18s.. so that is what I would do as far as rims are concerned. I don't think 20s work too well on that car.

I would start perusing the web for used castoffs from other bmws in the size you want.

Ojala
Ojala HalfDork
7/6/14 10:37 a.m.

My dad has an e32 7 series that has around 400k miles. All of the maintenance has been done at home and hasn't been unreasonable. This has led me to think that a 7 series doesn't have to be a money pit.

I have hard time picturing a 7 series on 20 in wheels-not my cup of tea.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy PowerDork
7/6/14 11:25 a.m.

That is the first year of the E38. IIRC all "iL" models had complicated self-leveling rear suspension, which is expensive to fix when broken and may preclude any sort of lowering.

Other than that, the timing chains on the BMW V8s have always scared me, but those shouldn't be an issue if it's been kept well. Go for it!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/6/14 3:54 p.m.

surely the self leveling can be removed and replaced with a regular suspension from an "I"?

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
7/6/14 6:06 p.m.

They're such an attractive car - like a big e36. The wheels you want are style 37s in 18".

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
7/6/14 6:57 p.m.

The car in question:

His personal tastes in wheel choices aside, it's a decent car from what I can tell. I've never been inside it as we usually drive the newer car.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
7/6/14 6:58 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

I agree. So much better looking than those chrome monstrosities.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
7/6/14 7:02 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: surely the self leveling can be removed and replaced with a regular suspension from an "I"?

Possibly, but not sure it would be worth it in the long run. Plus it may have been replaced already, I won't know until I can take a closer look at it. I can ask a buddy of mine who runs a BMW shop and possibly throw it on one of their lifts.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
7/7/14 8:26 a.m.

The black car in the picture is not an E38 (1995-2001); its an E32 (1988-94)

Personally; I would rather had the last production year of any BMW versus the first, more of the "kinks" worked out over the production run

Cooling system maintenance (aka replacement) and suspension bushings are the only things that stand out as problem areas IIRC

And being OBD1 might make diagnosis slightly more difficult

It as been years since I owned one, but what a great freeway flyer!

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy PowerDork
7/7/14 8:47 a.m.

Yes indeed, that's an E32; must be a '94.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/7/14 9:22 a.m.
turboswede wrote: The car in question: His personal tastes in wheel choices aside, it's a decent car from what I can tell. I've never been inside it as we usually drive the newer car.

So the FIL was a drug dealer? just kidding, but the ghetto crews and flat brimmers are the only ones around here driving the old big bmws with monstrous rimzes

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
7/7/14 10:29 a.m.

Well, he gets confused for being from Mexico quite often. That is until he opens his mouth and then they realize he's actually from the Philippines (both have long histories of Spanish inbreeding).

His Tundra is a piece of work to say the least. I don't have a picture, but picture a 1st gen TRD Tundra 4x4, with big chrome wheels and off road tires, bull guard, bed cover and stick on hood scoop and you'll have an idea.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
49sWYnTqAiV7flohYkZ4fYCAskJqFFNCdYKezu7qLS9ersdYaD5grJwGoNR53X9c