1 2
scottdziedzic
scottdziedzic
2/28/10 11:48 a.m.

Just purchased an 85 el camino, needs new windshield along with some other parts. Anybody know if a windshield (and any other parts) from a malibu would fit?

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
2/28/10 12:23 p.m.

from the a pillar forward it is the same as a malibu.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/28/10 3:00 p.m.

I'm not familiar with the later GM cars, but on older cars (1970s or earlier) there were generally a couple different windshields for a particular model depending on whether it was a two door, four door, wagon, etc. On the older El Caminos I believe they used the same windshield as a wagon. A windshield for your car should still be readily available from any auto glass company.

Year One has a catalog of reproduction parts for your car, some of the other old car parts places probably do as well.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/28/10 3:32 p.m.

"Some may call it child abuse, but I call it bonding with my dad...

Ohhhhh, I've got an ape drape, yes I do...."

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/28/10 3:52 p.m.

i see your disparaging remark and counter with this:

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
2/28/10 4:35 p.m.

Just check out safelite.com. The windshield for my 73 elky is $207 and change installed and they come to you.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/28/10 4:45 p.m.

Before you go out and buy a windshield, make sure it's not covered by your insurance - here in Minnesota at least it's covered by comprehensive, with zero deductible.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
2/28/10 6:02 p.m.
Vigo wrote: i see your disparaging remark and counter with this:

Bubba Drift. I got to meet those guys in Joliet for one of the first drift events near Chicago. Fun to watch a automatic Camino do the same stuff as the 240SXs.

http://www.bubbadrift.com/

Will
Will Reader
2/28/10 6:47 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a GMC Caballero, not an El Camino.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/28/10 7:09 p.m.

zing..

Drifting...

you really got me there..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKXHbnsShA&feature=related

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/28/10 7:33 p.m.

I got to ride in that car in a drift event in San Antonio.. didnt have harnesses, just non-retracting floppy failure-laden early 80s gm seat belts, so it was a bit scary.. but looking straight out the window going 70 sideways opened my eyes to drifting.

Anyway, sure its a pic of an el camino drifting, but that car was also a low-12, high 11 car when i rode in it and i think it got faster later. Take out the drifting and the stickers all over it and you've got a blazing fast, cool looking high utility vehicle that just like an f-body or vette could pull high 20s on the highway with the right gearing.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/28/10 8:40 p.m.

i miss my '70 elky sorely

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/28/10 10:05 p.m.

no sense of humor.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/28/10 10:14 p.m.

No drifting here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2QNpYnYo90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPNd4bWiKbc

Dav
Dav Reader
2/28/10 10:22 p.m.

Here is a pic of my Caballero from an earlier thread. Unfortunately, I blew the ZZ3 crate motor at the dragstip on its first trip few months back. I just purchased a gallon kit of Hot Rod Flatz Olive paint that I'll spray when I pull the motor, rebuild, and install a Lakewood bellhousing for the Muncie.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
2/28/10 10:31 p.m.

This Dav fellow's Caballero picture is trying to distract me from dreams of a Saab 9-3 and towards a Malibu two door sedan done up right.

I'm not sure if I like this Dav fellow and the confusion he has brought me.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/28/10 10:33 p.m.
Dav wrote:

So cool it bears repeating

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/28/10 11:36 p.m.

better shot of the wheels.. what are they?

I had a 77 caballero shell but never did anything with it. I like the 82-84 the best.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
2/28/10 11:38 p.m.
pres589 wrote: This Dav fellow's Caballero picture is trying to distract me from dreams of a Saab 9-3 and towards a Malibu two door sedan done up right. I'm not sure if I like this Dav fellow and the confusion he has brought me.

Listen to him. A Malibu with some suspension work can make you very happy.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/1/10 5:22 a.m.

hockey hair

man bag stone washed jean shorts mullet.

I'm going to continue posting mullet pics until someone laughs...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/1/10 5:34 a.m.

Ok.. actally I'll stop. Someone makes the best t-shirt ever.

http://6dollarshirts.com/product.php?productid=11115&cat=0&page=2

And that's what I was driving at.. An el Camino is a moving mullet.... Now off to buy a t-shirt.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
3/1/10 7:14 a.m.

actually with an elky the party is in the front(small block v8) and the business is in the back(utility bed for doing work/hauling stuff)

they got it backwards

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
3/1/10 10:28 a.m.
patgizz wrote: actually with an elky the party is in the front(small block v8) and the business is in the back(utility bed for doing work/hauling stuff) they got it backwards

That's intentional - by being reversed, the El Camino keeps the party:business ratio equal front to back... it's like a balancing shaft for a mullet.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
3/1/10 10:44 a.m.

now THAT's funny

Dav
Dav Reader
3/1/10 7:44 p.m.
Vigo wrote: better shot of the wheels.. what are they? I had a 77 caballero shell but never did anything with it. I like the 82-84 the best.

Nothing fancy--just 15x8 Bassett circle track racing wheels. I have a few sets of them, along with some Bogarts and some black 17x8 no name wheels. I thought that the 17x8s would look cool, but the Bassetts just_look_right.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cO8bHVYckGyRBCN2kSeJY6ujTUdcIzdZocZFohfmQAPVytrtW5T1YMWydfpzqhAF