2 3 4 5
03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 4:52 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

I think it's probably too much truck for us & out of our budget today, but I do have a few questions. Is it automatic or manual? Is it registered as an RV currently? What size tires does it need?

Since Cabriolet Sportliner built it on a brand new cab and chassis, it has never been used as a work truck. So it is regestered as a “RV Toter.” But since they used the same vin number as the FL50, insurance will not give me RV insurance. Only “non commercial use commercial vehicle “ insurance. I checked before I bought it, was assured it could be insured as a rv, by the vin number. But when I pulled in the parking lot, he changed his mind. Tried to charge me 6 times to quote. (Not sure how the vin changed over night). Don’t do business with him anymore. I only pay double the rv price now. In AL, I have to have a place to go to the bathroom, sleep, and prepare food to have it retitled as an rv. Portable chem. toilet, a microwave and a cooler counts. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh New Reader
1/6/21 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

That is perfect... 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 5:08 p.m.

It has a 7.2 liter 6 cylinder Cat (tuned at 275hp/600tq) w/ Allison 3060 World Class 6 speed AT. (The big brother to the 1000 in the duramax trucks). Has an exhaust brake tied into the trans function. Downshifts and closes exhaust when stopping, or needed down hill. 

The pickup truck diesel guys call it a “Jake Brake” trying to sound like truckers, but that’s actually a different class of compression release braking. Most diesels under 10L only have exhaust brake. 

Came with 235/80R22.5 tires, but that is rv specific, and very expensive. I switched to 245/75R22.5. Same OD, but available as a truck tire. Almost as expensive, but regroveable, and can be found in a roadside repair if needed, instead of ordering and waiting. A 255/70R22.5 would work as well. Has rear only tread on one side of rear (brand new) and universal tread on front. I would move them to other rear, and put two new on front. I’ve got sources for all that here. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/6/21 5:08 p.m.
03Panther said:

The minimalist camping discussions are interesting, and I’ve done some of that as well. While fun, I never took my family and a bunch of critters with me. I don’t think Pete’s critters would enjoy traveling and camping out of a canoe. 

Everyone has different needs in a recreational vehicle. Traveling with my wife and dogs, and staying in it while working 12 hr shifts, we found being able to walk into the back is worth it. 

But I would never tell anyone else that their needs are the same as mine. If someone likes dropping the bumper pull off to be worth it that’s fine do them. Doesn’t make everyone else wrong. 

From pete’s description on needs, the ideal compromise for him is either going to be way expensive, or older class c’s that are usually pretty rough, or something custom. A VW ain’t a suggestion that matches his question, and neither is the 46 1/2’ high end coach I’d love to sell him. 

To be clear, I am not suggesting that Pete live in a canoe. Or that he get a VW. I am using them as examples, as background. Pete has decisions to make. One of those decisions is "where does the poop go", because it has some fairly significant implications. That's not saying it can't go onboard. But it should be a factor that is considered and then decided upon instead of taken for granted.

LOL at a vehicle with onboard heat, refrigeration, two beds and cooking capability as "minimal". That shows a certain mindset :) My old carbureted Subaru wagon at 10,000' with a sleeping bag in the back and ice on the inside of the windows, that was pretty minimal car camping.

Generally, I'm more interested in clever than big.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Like Keith said, I’m in for that build thread as well!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Oh, I do understand; Pete’s needs kinda make the indoor toilet decision for him. Unless he plans a complete home made rig without one. And if he build his one, he has already mentioned a size that makes it a non issue. It would only be a decision for somebody that is going minimal list. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/6/21 5:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think you need to start another thread about this plan and build :) I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I was not aware of decent 12V compressors, that's an interesting plan. It's going to definitely need a fair bank of batteries - that compressor pulls 20A at the lowest setting or 96 A at the highest. I don't know what the duty cycle is, but you're looking at 240 Ah to run it for 24 hours at 50% duty cycle on low. You'll need a lot of solar to keep up with that. I get what you mean about the cost of a gennie, it's interesting that going full battery is cost effective. Battery prices keep dropping.

I assume you've seen the water setup in Drive Nacho Drive, it's got a complex and pretty neat coolant/hot water heat exchanger.

How will you cook? 

I started one when I bought the van a few years ago... then life happened.  But the van needs to come home within a week or so (my mechanic wants it out of their lot).  I just have to get my Spitfire running again and over to my mother's garage.  I'll update that thread when the van is in the driveway.  I seriously have too many vehicles at the moment... 

I'm roughly planning on about 600 AH of batteries. Cooking via a 120V induction cooktop. Still debating on that and it'll depend on how much kitchen space I actually end up with once the bed is done.  Probably a 3000W inverter since that cooktop will be the main 120V load.  Most electrical loads will be at 12V. The van doesn't have enough roof space to really power the A/C but that's not really the intent - it's more to just some offset to the loads while parked in the sun.

There is a ton of info out there on solar setups.  Technomadia has some good info on their website regarding the systems they installed in their bus RV as well as on their cabin cruiser boat.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/6/21 6:06 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I mean I wouldn't say no to the coach if it was a good deal & I could afford it! :-)

A quick google search shows tires for your toter for under $200 each, so that's reasonable. Is 3174 the last-4 of your phone#? I might message you some more questions just to avoid cluttering up this thread. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/6/21 6:35 p.m.

In general anything that produces heat needs a berkeleyton of power.

I would highly recommend gas vs electric, it's what I do

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/6/21 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Absolutely no gas. Period. Ever.  One fuel source - diesel.  One reason I'm sticking with my 1992 van vs. a newer (and larger) van is to keep that low-tech diesel engine that will basically run on anything that burns.  Ditto the 12V CTD I hope to eventually install to replace the wheezy 7.3 IDI.

Fortunately for me, this is a well trodden path and for what I plan to do, the berk-ton of power I have planned will be more than adequate.  What I want to do is by no means a new idea.  Even the 12V A/C system isn't my idea. Pretty the only idea of my own (maybe...) is using gray water to flush the toilet. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 7:26 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

I mean I wouldn't say no to the coach if it was a good deal & I could afford it! :-)

A quick google search shows tires for your toter for under $200 each, so that's reasonable. Is 3174 the last-4 of your phone#? I might message you some more questions just to avoid cluttering up this thread. 

Yes it is. Anytime! I'm at work tonight, but would have some time. and off till monday night, so will be keeping more normal person hours.

Hey, its your thread... clutter it up if ya want!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 7:29 p.m.

I can make someone a heck of a deal on that one!!!! Less than a fourth of a new one like it!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 7:33 p.m.

It does drive easier than almost all class A's, and any bus conversion I've been around, but it is 40K lbs... empty! Its not for the faint of heart. This one has a AT also. Older all mechanical Allison 4 speed. behind a Cat 10 liter.

1/6/21 7:39 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Absolutely no gas. Period. Ever.  One fuel source - diesel.  One reason I'm sticking with my 1992 van vs. a newer (and larger) van is to keep that low-tech diesel engine that will basically run on anything that burns.  Ditto the 12V CTD I hope to eventually install to replace the wheezy 7.3 IDI.

Fortunately for me, this is a well trodden path and for what I plan to do, the berk-ton of power I have planned will be more than adequate.  What I want to do is by no means a new idea.  Even the 12V A/C system isn't my idea. Pretty the only idea of my own (maybe...) is using gray water to flush the toilet. 

Fair but I can say from decades of experience that gas appliances with a decent battery bank will do very well

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 7:48 p.m.

I think he was responding to gasoline, not gas. But easy to confuse. I think it was in response to a gas apliance statement, but it may have just been about the benifits of a diesel engine.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 7:52 p.m.

There have been a few gasoline appliances over the years, but not a lot. There are currently a few diesel appliances, but not a lot. If gas stations were more prevalent, you could covert your gasoline engined RV over to gas, and stick with your gas appliances, and have only one fuel source on board. Supplemented by your solar, of course.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/6/21 9:35 p.m.

I have read all the above.  Decided to chime in.

I am a RVer.  I have owned 3 so far.  I have a 38' gasser in the back yard tonight.

Like Pete, I have an RV because of four legged animals.  And I have a RV because its the greatest thing at the track.  Instead of being at a motel where my dear wife has to get up at 6 am so I can be at the track by 7:30, we have an RV.  I can start working on the car at 7, and she can peak out the door at 8 holding a cup of coffee and smiling.  Happy wife, happy life.

I live in Florida.  I buy used RVs.  They are plentiful anywhere within 20 miles of the I-4 corridor.  I buy gas units, because i can easily work on them.  I've had V-10s and big block GMs.   Probably like the V-10s better.

Last year I helped a buddy buy a 36' gas RV for $16K, we put $5k in it and he  and wife went to Alaska and back on a 4 month journey, with a big dog., and towing a car behind. So much easier and cheaper than spending a lot to build some "conversion" from a bus or such.

I can go to Moab in the summer.  Leave the dog in the RV with the A/C on.  We don't have to find hotels or AirB&Bs that take dogs.

I tow the race trailer to race tracks.  An used RV is the cheapest "dually" you can buy.  When we go exploring we tow a small 4WD behind.  We have done trails in Colorado, Utah and the like.  Come back to the RV after dark to heat and comfort. 

Yes, I get 7 mpg going downhill with a tail wind.  Yes, I have to do some maintenance to parts of the "house".  But all the needed parts are easy to get almost anywhere in the U.S. and are simple repairs.

The cost of fuel works out when balanced against hotels and such.  Plus, with the RV you get closer to the "action".

As always... YMMV

1/6/21 9:40 p.m.

Oh, by "gas" I mean propane for appliances, not gasoline

1/6/21 9:51 p.m.
03Panther said:

I can make someone a heck of a deal on that one!!!! Less than a fourth of a new one like it!

This is yours? That's straight up awesome!

1/6/21 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

That's another good point my wife had fun at the Challenge in 2016, but that was before we had critters. An RV would allow her to come along again. 

I've heard people say that RVs are cheaper in FL, since that's often their final destination, but a quick Marketplace search seemed to contradict that. Do you have any tips for finding these bargain snowbird RVs, or did that end with the start of the pandemic?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/6/21 10:07 p.m.
03Panther said:

I think he was responding to gasoline, not gas. But easy to confuse. I think it was in response to a gas apliance statement, but it may have just been about the benifits of a diesel engine.

No. I am dead-set against having propane on board.  Not because I dislike it as a fuel, but because I don't want to deal with either finding a way to safely store and plumb a 20 lb tank or use precious under carriage space for an RV LP tank.  All for cooking and heat - neither of which will be used on every trip.  A battery bank large enough to run the A/C system will boil a pot of water on an induction cooktop for my tortellini pasta well enough. A diesel fueled boiler can provide heat for the various needs as well as pre-heat the engine if plumbed for it (since that is what it's actually meant for).  The end desire is to keep the "things that burn fuel" to as low a number as possible. In my case - two - the engine itself and the boiler. 

I've looked at a marine style diesel fueled cooktop, but unfortunately, it would limit the layout of the interior too much as it needs an exterior wall and due to the number of existing windows in the van, bare wall space is limited.  in the end, an induction cooktop running off a smallish inverter is just the easy button.  I'm not planning to cook gourmet meals at a ski resort/bike park. Hell - a good portion of the time, I camp with folks who bring a feast of BBQ options and I won't cook at all.  Sometimes, we'll clean up and drive to a restaurant to eat. 

This doesn't mean my ideas are the best options for everyone - far from it, but the advantage of building an RV from the ground up is you can choose to build it for exactly how you plan to use it.  While I do want some kitchen capabilities, they do not need to be extensive. I've watched videos of van-lifers who make do with a lot less than I plan to have.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/6/21 10:14 p.m.

With Covid so many folks saw RVs as a way to get out of the house and used prices soared.  New sales went through the roof.

I see it calming down in the future.   When I bought the current one in 2015 I watched CL for a while to get a "feel".   I was watching Tampa, Orlando, Daytona.    Some days there would be 1200 listings.    It was a bit of a task to search through them.   After a few days you start to get a feel for the market.    I had the advantage of already having owned a class C and a previous class A.  Buy Florida, Texas or Arizona...  a lot less rust issues.

Same deal last year buying for my buddy.  Watched CL for days.  But, did on site inspections before each buy.

I ended up with the 38' gasser, everything working, 40k miles, new tires, with a 2006 Suzuki Vitara 4wd Towd for about $36K.  Can't buy a decent dually for that.   We have done the West a few times and Canada a few times since.  The dog thinks its home.  The unit doesn't seem to know the race trailer or the towd is behind.  I find the beast as easy to drive as my DD truck.  OBTW, I don't drive in fuel save mode.  On the super slab I'm rolling with the traffic, not being a moving chicane.

A thought: a class "C" is for sleeping a lot of kids.  A class "A" is good for having 4 people for dinner and two for sleeping.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yea, we bought it after a year and a half off of traveling jobs, helping with family stuff Did a couple of trips to my folks in VA, and one 6 week job in NE, and came home for winter. Ended up taking this full time job, and might not ever travel again, with current state of things. Can't afford to drive it with local job I have now, and can't afford to let it sit, either. Bought it from Racing RV's dot com, in OH, and will prolly have to take it back up there for consignment after we fix a few small things. Nobody in Dothan Alabam' is gonna pony up close to 100K for it!!!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/6/21 10:37 p.m.

Ah, so it WAS me that got gas and gas confused!

I remember you are going small, but what is your rig again?

Love your plan for flushing a toilet with gray water... I would have never thought of that!

1/6/21 10:41 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I get what you are saying but a few points:

600ah is not "huge" or a "berk-ton"

You don't have 600ah in a 600ah battery bank. You have 300ah in a flooded cell or 480ah on lithium.

The link you posted even mentions the need for generator for cooking or a/c.

A lot of heavy electrical things take more juice to start up.

Batteries aren't like shore power, they degrade for one and much much faster on heavy loads. I know people that have destroyed new batteries by running a space heater. Once.

I get what you are trying to do and I wish you the best of luck but I have literally lived 100 percent off grid for my whole adult life and a lot of my childhood. It's more different than you think

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7IUN3mZrDxNJkKQHGkDSxu11tjSD9ZjpYi7mdQxoscchevHclsoExIjbhLzNBCho