1 2 3 4
SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/23/16 7:07 p.m.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
11/23/16 7:29 p.m.

Classic Collectors through Infinity is who I use for my Datsun and they are great.

Side note: I had a 64 sedan, 6 cyl and a powerglide. Lowered on 14 inch rallies. They are nice little cars.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/23/16 7:43 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Re: CCtI "When not in use, vehicle must be stored in a permanent, fully enclosed, locked garage."

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
11/24/16 12:59 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: In reply to crankwalk: Re: CCtI "When not in use, vehicle must be stored in a permanent, fully enclosed, locked garage."

Dang.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/24/16 3:03 p.m.

Re-submitted to Haggerty, will see if planning to drive it to work even less frequently makes them reconsider.

Pictures!
Came with a spare engine, allegedly a good-to-go-but-might-need-a-little-work 283.

Several garbage bags of parts - air cleaner, carb, some steering bits, alternator, oil pan, assorted other gubbins

Arguably creative deletion of bits of 'Sale/Trade 14k'

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/27/16 4:22 p.m.

Thoughts on which route to go as far as brake upgrades go?
Discs on the front seem like an obvious - and not overwhelming - place to start, any input on kits or brands to steer towards or away from?
Retaining the OEM wheels is a requirement, despite how much it limits the amount of badass rotor and caliper I can hang on there.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/28/16 7:56 p.m.

Haggerty didn't trust that I'd actually curtail my expected driving under their policy.
Ended up going with the lizard. (Who digitally didn't bat an eye at the age of the vehicle)
Driving her to work in the morning, very much jazzed about it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
11/29/16 2:21 p.m.

Those wheels are not OE to that car, so don't let that stop you from upsizing. That style of wheel (commonly known as Rally Wheels or Corvette Rally wheels) were available in sizes from 14x5" up to 15x8". Some 14" won't clear an S10 front brake caliper, some will. Safest bet is to find a set in 15x7" and go with an S10 rotor and caliper up front. Keep the stock drums on the rear. Install a '67-later Nova master cylinder if it doesn't already have front and rear circuits split from each other ('66 and earlier would have a single circuit feeding all four wheels, so a single leak point means NO brakes), and put an adjustable prop valve in the rear circuit since changing fronts to disc actually reduces front output.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/29/16 7:19 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

I was hoping to stick with the current wheels because they're already there more than anything else, thanks for the heads up on their non-originalness, double thanks for the braking news!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/29/16 7:25 p.m.

Do they make adapter brackets for ls1 camaro brakes? Best brake system upgrade i have ever done to anything. Did it to the 64 el camino. Requires 16 inch wheels minimum, though rumor has it that they will clear some aftermarket 15 inch rallies.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/29/16 7:26 p.m.

Finally got around to actually sorta working on it!
By head-lamp, naturally.
20 degrees of steering play is... less than ideal, tightening that up has been added to the list of things to do.
(And yes, I know that I shouldn't be expecting anything like a modern car, but my previous nova was much less well looked after overall but had a clear advantage over this one, there's room for improvement)

I'm the exact opposite of an expert, but the plug I yanked seems to look just fine, yeah?

"HI-THRIFT"

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/29/16 7:28 p.m.

Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. 98. If it fits the chevelle, it should fit the nova.

klb67
klb67 Reader
11/29/16 7:41 p.m.

I insure my 67 Mustang through State Farm, rest of the fleet was Allstate, now Liberty Mutual.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
11/29/16 9:31 p.m.

The spark plug looks fine but it also looks too new to tell if there is an issue.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/29/16 10:28 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: The spark plug looks fine but it also looks too new to tell if there is an issue.

Darn, guess I'll have to drive it more.

Fun fact, only reason I'm not driving it to work again tomorrow is that my DD has a surplus of petroleum onboard, that I'd prefer not to haul around whilst autocrossing this weekend.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/30/16 7:02 a.m.

Based on the end of the cylinder head and the block mounted crankcase breather, your spare engine is 67 or older, so it is likely a 283 as advertised. If its old enough, you can bore it .125 and build a 302...

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
11/30/16 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy: yes but an early 327 block would cost less than boring out a 283.da da da,A 350 for $350.00 is the swap. cool factor is Hi- thrift 6 Clifford intake, headers. or the Spa turbo intake.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/20/16 12:41 a.m.

Emailed Lee Engineering about their kit that'd let me slap on the Grand Cherokee steering box, can't say I'm encouraged by their stub of a website.

The snow is gone (for now? for good? who knows?) so hopefully I'll get to drive her in the coming days.

Roommate's GF says her name is Francine, I'm leaning more towards Roxanne.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/20/16 6:41 a.m.

wasn't Roxy a Redhead?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/20/16 8:50 p.m.

Was pleasantly surprised to receive an email first thing this morning from Lee Engineering, was happy to learn that the kit is even more reasonably priced than I thought.

Now to find a remanufactured JGC Steering box that doesn't involve a hefty core charge.

In reply to GTXVette:
I just like singing the song.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
12/20/16 9:34 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Based on the end of the cylinder head and the block mounted crankcase breather, your spare engine is 67 or older, so it is likely a 283 as advertised. If its old enough, you can bore it .125 and build a 302...

It's my understanding that there is a sizable reject rate trying to punch a 283 out to 4.000, something about core shift or sand pockets. With junkyards no longer overflowing with early SBCs, it might not be worth the 6% displacement bump when that doesn't really stop you from making an old school screamer.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/20/16 10:02 p.m.

Aaaaand ebay comes through, used the 'make an offer' button expecting to meet halfway on a JGC box, was pleasantly surprised when they accepted my low number.

As for motivation, unless a 350 or LS falls into my lap I'll be staying with an inline six, hotrodding the 283 isn't high on my list of things to do.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/31/16 12:36 p.m.

Well, most of the Lee Steering kit arrived today.
Looked just like this when I unboxed it.

Emailed about it Thursday afternoon, haven't yet heard back.

Would have also been nice for them to tell me that they shipped it signature required, would have saved me a day and a trip to my favorite strip mall

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
1/7/17 3:56 p.m.

Got the missing part, got everything ready, then realized that there isn't room for the JGC steering box and the column shift linkage.
Would have been nice to know that ahead of time.
Yay wasting money, guess I'll be staying with wandering steering as long as I own the car.

Funny how one thing like this can make you lose interest in modifying the car at all.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
1/7/17 5:50 p.m.
1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kndgn0Mf8aEFGq4WoS4fMf6fHAFLpa20Gz90yStDGJUur90GYcZQrGhpKb1YnOG5