DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/2/18 8:42 a.m.

We just got this block in for scanning. I have no idea what it is, but I can probably dig up the invoice and see what's written. But that's no fun!

The sleeves are missing. It's roughly 81cm long and 41cm tall.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
11/2/18 8:47 a.m.

I'm going to say out loud that I was thinking tractor engine because it looks structural in nature, and not in a Colin Chapman one-object-two-jobs fashion.

I have a more specific answer I'm curious whether I'm right, but I got it by googling based on my rough guess. Only took me two googles, I think!

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/2/18 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

So it's a Triumph engine?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/2/18 10:07 a.m.

Six head bolts per cylinder means tractor and/or diesel generally.  The bolt and alignment pins on the transmission end are too close to the crank for a real clutch, so the engine probably has a mounting plate that bolts on before the flywheel and adapts it up to another bolt pattern for the bell housing, which is again consistent with tractor or diesel.  

Beyond that,  I've got nothing. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/2/18 10:16 a.m.

Anyone notice the weird features in the cylinders such as the side-ports and areas of smooth and raw cast finish? Could it even be some kind of 2-stroke?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/2/18 10:18 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The liners aren't in the engine, so you're seeing the water jacket input/outputs

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/2/18 10:23 a.m.

Oh right that makes sense...a wet liner engine.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
11/2/18 10:59 a.m.

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and give my guess, as it's sounding a bit like nobody's going to just know it(?)

I hope my educated-guess-plus-research isn't too cheaty.

I think it's an International Harvester DT436.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/2/18 11:03 a.m.
Ransom said:

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and give my guess, as it's sounding a bit like nobody's going to just know it(?)

I hope my educated-guess-plus-research isn't too cheaty.

I think it's an International Harvester DT436.

Damn, the depth of knowledge here still blows my mind.

Image result for International Harvester DT436 blockImage result for International Harvester DT436 block

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/2/18 11:12 a.m.

I posted on Facebook that it looked IH. Hahaha

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/2/18 11:14 a.m.

Looks like a dead ringer for it

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/2/18 12:38 p.m.

What's the deal with all the bondo (or whatever it is) applied to the one side of the block?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/2/18 12:43 p.m.

The foundry wanted to modify it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pZawJHGYsHAzUjBd8aLNnRfU9tvRFqoHlfRmkGzkqzxgUjsZk0g2Jk365ucIPmpM