Benswen
Benswen New Reader
9/20/15 10:03 a.m.

Hi there - long time lurker and subscriber, but I think this is my first post.

I'm considering some upgrades for a '98 Civic DX. I want some torque and a flat, usable powerband. From what I've read on the intarwebz, my best options would be a B20 swap from a CR-V mated to an Integra transmission or adding a turbo to the single cam engine in the Civic.

The Civic will be used as a fun street car, autocrosser and the occasional track day. Bang-for-the-buck and durability are more important that all-out speed or power. That being said, I'd still like it to not be slow. (I considered a "mini-me" conversion, where a SOHC VTEC head is put on the non-VTEC engine already in the DX, but from the sounds of it that probably will still be a little on the lethargic side...)

What say the GRM braintrust?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
9/20/15 11:07 a.m.

What is your budget? A B18C (DOHC VTEC) or a B16A swap would be my vote. Easy, powerful, fun to rev. I would argue a NA motor would be faster on a track day or an autocross and would probably get better gas mileage as well.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
9/20/15 11:26 a.m.

B20 but with b16 head, trust me its a hoot.

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
9/20/15 11:54 a.m.

Trackday + turbo conversion = peril. Especially an engine as fairly delicate as a D16.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
9/20/15 12:08 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: What is your budget? A B18C (DOHC VTEC) or a B16A swap would be my vote. Easy, powerful, fun to rev. I would argue a NA motor would be faster on a track day or an autocross and would probably get better gas mileage as well.

Budget is as little as it takes to get what I want - $1500? $2000? Not really considering a VTEC head swap, at least not right away. From what I can tell, for autocross and street driving a non-VTEC B-series has a big drivebility advantage.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
9/20/15 12:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Trackday + turbo conversion = peril. Especially an engine as fairly delicate as a D16.

I was under the impression that a D16 was strong enough to reliably support 150 or so WHP. Is that not the case?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/20/15 12:12 p.m.

I'm partial to a healthy frankenstein "LS Vtec" myself, but i've logged some time in an EK hatch with a B20Z (slightly higher compression than B20b) with a good tune, bolt ons, and mild cams. It was a RIOT. I'd love to build my own copy sometime.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/20/15 12:13 p.m.
Benswen wrote:
Knurled wrote: Trackday + turbo conversion = peril. Especially an engine as fairly delicate as a D16.
I was under the impression that a D16 was strong enough to reliably support 150 or so WHP. Is that not the case?

It'll be fine. Even at 200whp with a good tune.

But a 180whp n/a b-series will be more reliable, lighter, and easier to work on.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/20/15 3:13 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Benswen wrote:
It'll be fine. Even at 200whp with a good tune. But a 180whp n/a b-series will be more reliable, lighter, and easier to work on.

Yes. This. I have a B20 with b18 vtec head I would sell..

penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
9/21/15 9:18 p.m.

Definitely B20 for autocross and around town. Torque curve is much flatter. Get a tune, some cams, open the exhaust a little and you're done. You can always swap on a B18 or B16 head later on. Turbo D series are a blast, but a bit peaky in my opinion so not really suited to your intended uses. Of course, the D series engines have a great community and are a bit grassroots-y since they're kinda the "other" Honda engine. Check out D-series.org for some inspiration if you're not sold on the B.

AntiArrhythmic
AntiArrhythmic
9/21/15 9:29 p.m.

I'm building a turbo z6 with a garret 60/43AR should spool fast. Shooting for 250-275 who. Lots of turbo D builds get great mileage, and are reliable. I've had a GSR powered CX hatch with LSD, ITR cams, and bolt ons. It was fun, but the turbo D will def be faster and have a more usable power band.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EF1bgcaEVknhHOL4ZuLq1aSmEGI9NxsubAaNVDIHTt2UzmgY8JTSDFRrJLfM0BXN