1 2 3
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/14/12 12:16 p.m.

you really need to start a blog somewhere that systematically puts down all in one spot all the mazda details you know...so I can shamelessly take it.

Iz in ur blog, stealin ur ideaz

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/14/12 12:20 p.m.

5:1 odds the Toyota blog would be bigger.

I've been working on something for the last couple months, though. Been trying to figure out the best way to format/present "HalfTrac's Skunkwerks" in blog form.

Unfortunately, i'm pretty web stupid.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
2/14/12 12:28 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Oh, and they WILL handle.

Oh dear lord will they ever. At least until you starve the engine for oil and burn up a cam.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/14/12 12:30 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote:
Oh dear lord will they ever. At least until you starve the engine for oil and burn up a cam.

Uh oh.... i asked about that on mx6.com, and nobody told me to watch out for that.

Ryan has run big slicks on his, autox/track days and hasn't had a problem.

Do i need to look into dry sumps? That would also take care of my crankcase venting concerns with the lack of a proper PCV system.

Oh yeah.... 4cyl... ThePhranc also knows these cars quite well.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/14/12 8:01 p.m.
RossD wrote: The first picture I posted was mine; this one is from the Lotus 7 Register in the UK:

Shaft driven supercharger? And mounted on the firewall at that? Would like to see more of that setup.

Knurled
Knurled Dork
2/14/12 8:13 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Was the KL a factory option in the Probe? I remember an article, I think it was in SCC that listed their failed projects in the past. IIRC, they had a probe project, that (paraphrased) "No matter how hard we tried, and no matter how much potential we thought there was, making it go and making it handle were both just not going to happen"...boy they werent wrong often, but int his case, I think they really missed an opportunity

I remember that series. They tried everything their little "I/H/E" minds could think of - they put an "intake" on it, they put headers on it, they put an exhaust on it (which required fabrication since theirs had a one year only setup), they installed a VPC to eliminate the goofy cone-style MAF, and they never made any more power than stock.

Well, yeah, they never did anything about the stock cams, or the heads, or the intake manifold. Anything you do with an engine that doesn't involve cams or headwork or both is just buying jewelry for your car.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
2/14/12 8:25 p.m.

1000hp 5Cyl anyone?

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/14/12 8:26 p.m.

It was Modified Mag.

They suck in the first place.

I'm blaming the vpc and probably ebay/hotshot headers. Neither make power on this platform.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
2/14/12 8:28 p.m.
Moving_Target wrote: Sure, what the heck. Streetwiseguy, I finally got off my ass and maxed the card, again.

Nicely done, young Grasshopper.

Knurled
Knurled Dork
2/14/12 8:35 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: It was Modified Mag. They suck in the first place. I'm blaming the vpc and probably ebay/hotshot headers. Neither make power on this platform.

They did those as a last resort.

It was SCC. I used to buy them constantly, it was one of their Project Cars, and I never even heard of Modified Mag.

That's not to say that the same articles were rehashed for a different magazine, of course.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
2/14/12 8:39 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
ThePhranc wrote:
Uh oh.... i asked about that on mx6.com, and nobody told me to watch out for that. Ryan has run big slicks on his, autox/track days and hasn't had a problem. Do i need to look into dry sumps? That would also take care of my crankcase venting concerns with the lack of a proper PCV system. Oh yeah.... 4cyl... ThePhranc also knows these cars quite well.

You just need to hook all your oil lines up correctly. Failure to do so will make you car worthless. :(

Mine was my own fault. I did however see some oil pres drops under really hard sustained cornering. Stuff you wouldn't see in auto cross but would on some fun back roads. Nothing drastic though.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
2/14/12 8:44 p.m.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/14/12 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

So, they did intake and a catback, then the headers and a vpc as a last resort? They done berkeleyed up. The motors will respond to bolt ons.

cpdave
cpdave New Reader
2/14/12 10:27 p.m.

1966 Dodge Dart A-Sedan:

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
2/14/12 11:22 p.m.

I wandered around the shop and took these today:

Sorry for the crappy cel phone pics. I can bring my decent camera tomorrow.

I love my job.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/14/12 11:31 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Nice Duesenbergs, I enjoyed working on them when I used to restore antique cars.

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
2/14/12 11:34 p.m.

Went into this, pictured after the first drive:

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
2/14/12 11:50 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Thanks. I wish they were mine

The naturally aspirated one is in for restoration, the supercharged car is on loan from a very generous local collector, it's our "Chinese blueprint" so to speak.

The nice part is, he drives the hell out of that SJ. It's got a dent inside the rear wheelwell from some tire contact during a moment of "spirited driving".

The Corvette is a one-of-50-something RPO684 car.

The last engine is a Packard V-12 from a 1934 1107 coupe roadster that is being restored.

I'd have posted the blown '60 Camaro but it's on top of a storage lift at the moment.

Shawn

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/14/12 11:59 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Yeah my favorite Duesenberg we had was an 1930 Indy Car. It had a Naturally Aspirated engine.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
2/15/12 12:13 a.m.

That looks like the model A engine. That's a beautiful car, I love 1920's and 1930's race cars.

The boss is lusting after a Duesenberg walking-beam 4-banger for a speedster project he's dreaming of.

We've found the engine, they just want $100,000 for it. The crazy part is, that's not really unreasonable, all things considered.

The car that's in for restoration is a LaGrande Dual-Cowl Phaeton. I don't really care for the long wheelbase cars as much but the Phaeton is very sporty-looking for a long car.

I love the shorter speedsters and roadsters.

The fellow we're borrowing the SJ from has an 8-cylinder Auburn boattail in black and red that is simply gorgeous.

Shawn

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/15/12 12:19 a.m.
Run_Away wrote:

That's almost too pretty to hide in an engine

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/15/12 12:20 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

My uncle specialized in Indy Car restoration. Mainly Millers, but we had stuff like The Dusenberg and Kurtis-Kraft race cars. The picture that is two posts above your OP is of an extremely rare V16 Miller that was my Uncles pride and joy. That car had an engine tone like no other.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
2/15/12 12:28 a.m.

Very cool man, I've never seen a Miller in person. Got a video with sound by any chance?

We're horribly derailing the thread at this point.

Shawn

Shortcutsleeping
Shortcutsleeping New Reader
2/15/12 1:03 a.m.

Costas

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
2/15/12 2:02 a.m.

Just your run of the mill ITBs for a 20B

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners