1 2 3
Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
8/5/10 7:34 a.m.

safety glasses , fire extinguisher ,bag of rags , TV and radio

miatame
miatame Reader
8/5/10 8:08 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Am I the only one that hates air ratchets? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some impacts, but with my wrists, air ratchets are the devil. Loud, they're easily set off accidently, they rip out of your hand when they start to torque down... ugh. No thank you.

Wouldn't say hate, but it hardly comes out of the drawer. At first I thought they were a necessity, but for all those reasons I reach for the hand ratcheting wrench 99 times out of 100.

I really need some wobble sockets.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky HalfDork
8/5/10 8:20 a.m.

Am I blind, or has no one mentioned a real transmission jack?

TreoWayne
TreoWayne New Reader
8/5/10 11:24 a.m.

The most difficult tools to borrow in my experience are HVAC tools, specifically a manifold gauge set and especially a vacuum pump.

EricM
EricM Dork
8/5/10 11:38 a.m.

TORX socket set, NO, a hex head will not substitute!

Wobble adapter for sockets.

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
8/5/10 11:16 p.m.
  1. Fire Extinguishers Plural, I have one in every corner just in case. Very cheap insurance if you plan on welding, grinding, using a torch, or a heat source that has a flame, that and a good fire resistant rag bucket.

2. I agree air ratchets are hit or miss, I have a 1/4 IR and it gets some duty but I am always reacing for a hand ratchet first. That being said multiple ratchets can be very nice. That way you can have several loaded up and not have to swap sockets everytime you have to go from a 10mm bolt to a 12mm bolt during a job. I have had very good luck with these from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-quick-release-swivel-head-ratchet-96782.html

3. I know Mig welders are all the rage and I love using the big one we have a work (220v Miller) but at home I have found a stick welder can handle most jobs and it doesn't require have a gas bottle to go empty at all the wrong moments. like 2 am and half way through a project.

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
8/6/10 10:32 a.m.
Josh wrote: When I renovate the kitchen, the fridge becomes the garage beer fridge, the oven becomes the garage powdercoating oven, and the cabinets become tool/parts storage. That's probably half the motivation for the kitchen remodel :).

Dish washer becomes parts washer (if the plumbing is available).

On a shoe string budget I've found a hand held mirror to be very valuable for seeing nooks and crannies. A good extendable magnet is also nice for nuts and bolts that fall out of reach.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
8/6/10 7:47 p.m.

I don't know how much you already have, but I've gone 12 garage years without an air compressor. I started with the craftsman plastic cabinet (~$200) set and have expanded. I finally picked up a compressor in order to build my new garage- its small at 16x20 (+loft, +garden shed for the wife's E36 M3), but I'm confident it will do the job for the MG Midget I've got.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yair07X3fZ6koaHJgqumB5LptwNdqdHBtJsT1aVq5XYLU3urK5rIlT8MfoLskbaN