3 4 5
HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
2/21/14 6:27 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: HiTemp, I can see where you are coming from. But as an engineer who has seen what some trailer manufacturers crank out, I am less leery of what (almost) anyone on this site would build.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. But I'd imagine you'd hear on the ol' interwebs prettttty quick if a certain manufacturers trailers were falling apart?

alfadriver wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: Specific to one car, I see a point, although there are quite a few single car enthusiests out there. Small trailer, small space- yea- I don't agree. I don't want a full sized trailer taking up a bunch of space in my back yard, and I know I'm not going to get a big car anytime soon (if ever). so having a small 14' trailer that can do 3000lb is perfect for me- fits all of the Alfa's that I've ever needed to take, both Miata's I've had, as well as CG's Neons. Small is pretty handy.

And I definitely don't disagree with this. I'm just saying for a large percentage of the population, a larger trailer makes sense typically, hence why it is so hard to find small, light trailers. I found a place that sells 14' tandems (with dovetail) and dual brakes for $2k in BC, which is an amazing price IMO. Weighs 1500lbs. But they probably never sell them (when I inquired, they had none on the lot). And my 20 footer has been ridiculously handy for towing anything/everything. Probably could have went with an 18', but when you haul 8 spare gravel tires/rims, at least one 205L barrel of race fuel, all your spares and tools, light pods, etc etc, the extra space is well worth it!

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
2/21/14 7:01 p.m.

Here's a picture of alfa's trailer.

http://flic.kr/p/kk4DwL

The SpecNeon barely fits on it. With the wheel spacers, the tires rub on both sides. And with the front tires on the stops, the rear have about 3" of room to spare on the back of the runners. Here is when I was pulling it off the trailer after blowing the engine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51317257@N07/8991621803/

EDIT: LInking from Flikr isn't working for some reason. If I use the hot link, the picture doesn't show up. If I paste the code in, nothing shows up either.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/21/14 7:10 p.m.

photos work fine for me. I like that trailer other than the single-arm neck (which I would think woudl be better if triangulated)

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/21/14 7:15 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: HiTemp, I can see where you are coming from. But as an engineer who has seen what some trailer manufacturers crank out, I am less leery of what (almost) anyone on this site would build.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing. But I'd imagine you'd hear on the ol' interwebs prettttty quick if a certain manufacturers trailers were falling apart?
alfadriver wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: Specific to one car, I see a point, although there are quite a few single car enthusiests out there. Small trailer, small space- yea- I don't agree. I don't want a full sized trailer taking up a bunch of space in my back yard, and I know I'm not going to get a big car anytime soon (if ever). so having a small 14' trailer that can do 3000lb is perfect for me- fits all of the Alfa's that I've ever needed to take, both Miata's I've had, as well as CG's Neons. Small is pretty handy.
And I definitely don't disagree with this. I'm just saying for a large percentage of the population, a larger trailer makes sense typically, hence why it is so hard to find small, light trailers. I found a place that sells 14' tandems (with dovetail) and dual brakes for $2k in BC, which is an amazing price IMO. Weighs 1500lbs. But they probably never sell them (when I inquired, they had none on the lot). And my 20 footer has been ridiculously handy for towing anything/everything. Probably could have went with an 18', but when you haul 8 spare gravel tires/rims, at least one 205L barrel of race fuel, all your spares and tools, light pods, etc etc, the extra space is well worth it!

I've got to agree here. I think 20 foot is the perfect length for what most of us do. I recently sold my 20, and have been using my 18, but I'm ready to go back to a 20 after a couple of tows.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wg6cribSFLMWsV44D4yySy0nxRQHQ7DpHwOh5Z9h3QCAeiyEg190jvz2PtqKCrMh