Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/30/20 11:50 a.m.

I need to find an assortment of Grade 5 bolts that I can use for cobbling crap together.  You guys have any kits you like out there?

I was thinking of wandering around the the local fastener specific stores to see if they have any home-builder kits.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/30/20 12:46 p.m.

Amazon. Bolt assortments. 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/20 12:48 p.m.
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/30/20 12:50 p.m.

I have a few assortments sitting around, but I've found they are never exactly right (example: I need a 13mm head but the assortment has 12mm in that size, washers not being the same thickness, etc.)

These days, I just order everything from McMaster-Carr. Stuff shows up in a day and it's always exactly what I need. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
9/30/20 1:49 p.m.

As long as you only need sae I'd hit tractor supply and raid the fasteners by weight. Every time i go to get one fastener i add in a handful of anothor reasonable size and length too. Slowly filling a filing cabinet with grade 8 hardware ready to go

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
9/30/20 6:57 p.m.

I spent a lot of money years ago on a full selection and now whenever one of the bins runs low I buy a box and dump it in. I have every common size and never have to do the bolt hunt. Money hugely well spent.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X3SWorMX839KvoHBdHJTjIdHyRFgbW7H98t2HmZv8avsQ82EB7Ja2rTOEbW6JDRm