1 2
alexseiji
alexseiji New Reader
12/25/16 11:14 a.m.

Happy Holidays everyone :) My new job and living situation has extended my commute by 55 miles and Im afraid my RX8, which to me is my one true love, will sadly eat into my wallet more than I would like. I do not have space for a second car either and it really kills me that I have to look for something else as I had planned on growing old with it (I really love it). Unfortunately the 14-20 MPG is just too low for me and I need something that is is better suited to commuting.

The only caveat, and just like many here, is that I friggin love driving. I get excited for the 60 mile commute every morning and I also get even more excited with every corner I need to straighten :) I would like to carry this feeling without feeling I castrated myself. I value a better feeling driving experience rich with feedback rather than outright speed so even if its slower I do not mind and obviously aftermarket support can clearup both fronts (I have solid engine mounts and a solid trans brace and plan on doing the same with the next vehicle) So... with that said, for those that faced a similar dilemma, what did you end up buying?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/25/16 11:20 a.m.

Nb miata. Most days i average 200 miles. Old enough to be at the bottom of the depreciation curve, new enough to be a nice place to spend time. Im averaging right at 30mpg with the 6 speed and beating it like it owes me money.

Upgrade the stereo for the interstate, tint the windows due to other people's headlight height, make sure that the cruise control works, and enjoy.

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
12/25/16 11:44 a.m.

GTI, Civic Si or RSX Type-S? BRZ?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/25/16 11:57 a.m.

I have been shopping the 1st gen insight. Supposedly they handle very well, but lack the power to really dish it up in the stoplight to stoplight grand prix.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/25/16 12:00 p.m.

What other criteria do you have? Is a 2-seater ok? Purchase price? 2-door or 4-door?
I had a miata for my daily commute for quite a while. I really loved it.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
12/25/16 12:05 p.m.

BMW

alexseiji
alexseiji New Reader
12/25/16 12:16 p.m.

My only requirement is that I can fit my bike inside of it, even if If I have to take off both wheels which what I do with the RX8. Preferably an RWD but Im totally open to different configurations and type of vehicle regardless of doors. Ive looked at RSX's but it is hard to find them with lower miles. I really enjoy the idea of a BRZ however the price is still a bit high for my budget of around 15K or under. I would LOVE a Miata but unfortunately there isn't enough room for me, otherwise it would be perfect!

yupididit
yupididit Dork
12/25/16 12:41 p.m.

M3, evo, sti ?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/25/16 12:48 p.m.

335i

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/25/16 12:50 p.m.
  • Exciting
  • 45 MPG
  • Fits in the same spot with the car so no replacing is necessary
  • Costs less than all but the least desirable cars on the market
  • Will make you wish your commute was longer

R1200RS

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
12/25/16 1:04 p.m.

A current-gen Mazda 3 or 6 with the 6-speed Skyactiv drivetrain is the answer here. Wonderful interiors, surprisingly fun to drive and near 40MPG on the freeway.

alexseiji
alexseiji New Reader
12/25/16 1:06 p.m.

@Huckleberry Riding that in the snow would certainly add a new element to "rally season" haha.

@eebasist My only reservation with BMW is their reliability record isn't the greatest. My E36 was an interesting owning experience. I have primarily only owned Japanese vehicles due to the fact that the reliability->fun ratio and the cost parts was generally low in cost. I did pay the BMW premium for silly things like nuts and bolts and filters all the way to head gaskets, oil pump lock kit, vanos unit. It was a damn great feeling car but the experience was offset by the lack of engineering "polish".

alexseiji
alexseiji New Reader
12/25/16 1:08 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

This. I have been looking at them quite and would also keep me within the Mazda "ecosystem". What has your experience been like with this platform?

yupididit
yupididit Dork
12/25/16 1:12 p.m.

How much are Fiesta ST going for used?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
12/25/16 1:22 p.m.

In reply to alexseiji:

Love them. I will be replacing my daily driver Fit with a 3 hatch before too long. It seems like the build quality is an order of magnitude better than prior generations and some browsing on the Mazda forums seems to indicate that the Skyactiv drivetrain is dead nuts reliable up to and beyond 100k. If they had big problems I feel like we would be hearing about it already; however they get rave reviews from almost everyone from the car rags to web forum types.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/25/16 1:35 p.m.

FRS/BRZ?

alexseiji
alexseiji New Reader
12/25/16 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Vigo: Ive definitely considered them however it seems that the level of component failure is rather high. It wouldn't be such an issue if I had a garage to fix things but unfortunately I do not have that luxury anymore (Busy city streets now).

miatafan
miatafan New Reader
12/25/16 3:03 p.m.

I have a 80 mile round trip daily and it was fun for the first 6 months, I then joined a van pool and don't look back. Cheaper and I wanted to keep the miles off my ND. I still drive to work on Fridays though and take the back roads.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/25/16 5:48 p.m.

Saab 9-3, reliable turbo4, good mpgs, fun enough but comfortable enough for a long drive.

I wouldn't want to listen to a Miata turn 4,000 rpm all day commuting at highway speeds. Something a bit more grown up is nice and much less fatiguing.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/25/16 6:04 p.m.

If I was in the op's situation: cheap older Prius for driving in bad weather/transporting stuff + sport bike for daily thrills. No compromise needed

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/26/16 7:17 a.m.

Buy an older Prius. One that is maintained will cost you $4k at most. Use it for what it is. Keep the rx8

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
12/26/16 7:46 a.m.

Hows about a NB Miata and have a trailer hitch mount installed, then use a hitch-mounted bike rack. Win-win

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/26/16 8:03 a.m.

Lexus CT200h would give you Prius fuel economy in a much better looking, more luxurious, and sportier package. Electric torque on the bottom, and a suspension that's supposedly tuned for more driver enjoyment could make it fun.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
12/26/16 9:25 a.m.

I hear a bicycle can fit in a fit...magic seats

Mike
Mike Dork
12/26/16 10:15 a.m.

How about keeping it, and adding an Escape Hybrid?

I have a CR-Z. I bet you could fit a bike in there. If you like the first generation Insight but wish it had more performance, you might like a CR-Z. After two years with it, I am beginning to feel like there is something odd about the way it delivers power. It's really, really cheap to operate.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AXWWh14KzhWINFlui2qlUDKkTgfqGSjVzYfPcPBEFc7s13dPwRO3r59CJyjr8UtX