Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/24/21 7:06 p.m.

I've got an exhaust manifold gasket failure (and leak) on the front cylinder on a Chevy 454.  It's in the Motor Home I just bought.   I'm not going to repair it the right way.   I can't tolerate  the possibility of a broken off stud and the snow ball of repairs that will entail.  

What's available in a tube to smear on the gap between the cast iron exhaust manifold and heads that will minimize the leak for the longest time possible ?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/24/21 7:27 p.m.

If you rub it with dog poo, it will likely work as well as anything.

Exhaust glue doesn't work.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
4/24/21 7:40 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

C'mon give the guy the real scoop. Everyone knows schnauzer poo is best for exhaust jobs. But poodle poo plugs passages permanently. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/24/21 8:02 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
Streetwiseguy said:

C'mon give the guy the real scoop. Everyone knows schnauzer poo is best for exhaust jobs. But poodle poo plugs passages permanently. 

Well,  He might be right.   I'm going to try something, I just never th0ught about trying dog E36 M3.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/24/21 8:02 p.m.

When I was replacing collector gaskets for the fourth time in seven years on my lowered C10, I was strongly encouraged to get Permatex Ultra Copper and use it instead of gaskets entirely.

I bought a tube, but chickened out.

Try it.  Report back.  Party.

Turboeric
Turboeric Reader
4/24/21 8:08 p.m.

We used The Right Stuff gasket goo on a leaking manifold and collector in a BMW 2002 race car, and it worked surprisingly well. It may buy you a couple of years if you're not putting a ton of miles on the motorhome. Tough to remove once you decide to fix it permanently, though.

And SkinnyG, be brave with the Permatex Copper - it works.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/24/21 9:28 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks guys.  If the temporary repair lasts 6k miles I'll be satisfied.  I'll let you all know when we return from our vacation......

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/27/21 8:04 p.m.

I decided to skip the dog E36 M3, so I rubbed some of this on instead:

Got it as clean as I could based on the limited access:

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/27/21 8:06 p.m.

I'll report back when in several weeks or a few months with results.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/27/21 11:27 p.m.

Oh.  Oh my.  That's not at all what I expected you would do.

Looking forward to your report.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
4/27/21 11:38 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

To be Capt. Obvious... that's NOT the way its supposed to be used!devil

Def. looking fwd. to results. Has the engine been started at all yet? My prediction would be it didn't last through the initial start, but I'd love to know.

I have no exhaust leaks at the moment, but I'm sure I will last long enough to have to deal with one again!

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/28/21 6:23 a.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Oh.  Oh my.  That's not at all what I expected you would do.

Looking forward to your report.

I told you from the beginning it wasn't going to be done right this time around.  I have a trip planned and can't afford the time ( or effort ) to pull the manifolds.

wae
wae UberDork
4/28/21 6:33 a.m.

I'm very curious about this science experiment!  This is exactly what I expected would be done with the stuff and I've always wondered if it would work.

Science!!

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
4/28/21 7:11 a.m.

I'm all for a good field expedient repair, but I don't see anything on that package that indicates that that product will withstand exhaust temperatures. Have you run it up to temp yet to make sure it won't, you know, ignite? Or melt messily onto everything below it?

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/28/21 8:24 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Permatex® The Right Stuff® 90 Minute Gasket Maker – BLACK

Categories: Gasketing, The Right Stuff® Gasket Makers

The Right Stuff® 90 Minute is the only gasket maker in a tube that can return a vehicle back to service quickly – just 90 minutes curing time! It outperforms pre-cut gaskets by providing superior adhesion to flanges with maximum flexibility. A premium professional grade gasket maker for today’s fast-paced professional garage and heavy DIY’er. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F Intermittent.

Compared to Permatex® the Right Stuff® GREY Gasket Maker, our BLACK formula offers higher oil resistance and greater flexibility.

I don't think it will exceed 500º F.  I have not yet started the engine.  Going to give it a full 24 hours to cure.  

This whole thing might be a mistake, but at least it shouldn't smell as bad as dog E36 M3. wink

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/28/21 8:28 a.m.

That's a mighty fine looking BBC you have there.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/28/21 8:35 a.m.
Stampie said:

That's a mighty fine looking BBC you have there.

Thanks.  If this doesn't work out, I can also just pull it out and stuff it into one of the Jaaags. surprise

wae
wae UberDork
4/28/21 8:39 a.m.

How hot does the manifold get?  The TDS says it's good to 400 degrees F continuous.

Lighting your motorhome on fire is an adventure, but probably not the one you want.  I have, uh, certain experience with that and can't really recommend it.

iansane
iansane Reader
4/28/21 9:03 a.m.

I think I might've tried one of those muffler cements before RTV. I think rtv will just blow/burn off.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/29/21 8:52 a.m.

It survived the initial start up, idling for five minutes and a few mid-range revs.  It didn't immediately fail, but also not completely up to maximum (full) operating temperature).  It did noticeably reduce the noise.  More testing to come.

TxGirl88
TxGirl88
9/20/21 12:14 a.m.

So I just used this on a 2017 Sanmen Countty Youngfu Machine Chinese scooter. I didn't realize the exhaust had completely rotted off, so I welded it back together and used Permatex red 90 minute gasket maker instead of an actual gasket. I'm hoping to cut down the "large mosquito chasing me" noise, and improve my performance. (top speed is 35mph) it is 150cc though, so at least I have that going for me... lmao... am I in the right forum? 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/20/21 6:50 a.m.

In reply to TxGirl88 :

I think you are. Pictures of the scooter?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sCJVg29brUtu6dUZL8i2MfurUJmcqXQIbNaPmi3Az5yUxyicx7Y3GI25agpfitDw