1 2 3 4
Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/12/17 11:11 a.m.

Since Exomotive had the DBR1 on their website, I assumed that they sold it. 

A body kit would seem like the next evolution of their product, but who knows what the plans and strategy of Exomotive is? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/12/17 11:19 a.m.

They sell it, but that's the extent of their involvement.

Kevin Patrick knows what the plans and strategy of Exomotive are :)

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/12/17 11:24 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Hmmm.

So for the guy trying to move to a track car that won't be so horribly outclassed on the straights as my stock drivetrain E30 the Exocet (normal, non-megapower version) isn't going to be much different? Disappointing.

I'd say it dpeends on the track and the driver.  The key with cars like the Exocet, Seven and cars with similar formulas is that you can carry more speed through the corners meaning you have to gain less on the straights to stay ahead or pass cars with a faster straight line speed.

Traffic and high speed cars are always going to be a problem, espeically if the drivers aren't skilled at situational awareness to realize they are holding others up.  I've taken to going for a spin through the pits to change the group of cars I'm running with or even mentioning to a steward as I wait to go back out that a certain car isn't quite paying enough attention to those around them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/12/17 11:29 a.m.

Having run around Spec Miatas at Laguna Seca, I can tell you that an Exocet with a stock 1.8 holds station on the front straight but is faster in corners and under braking. I'm assuming those Specs would be running non-stock "Spec" engines.

Bolt on an FM II turbo and the world changes.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/12/17 12:26 p.m.

I found your track day aerodynamic bodywork for the exocet.

It is the stuff they use to shrink wrap boats  for storage

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/12/17 12:37 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I found your track day aerodynamic bodywork for the exocet.

It is the stuff they use to shrink wrap boats  for storage

I know you are joking, but that is a very interesting idea. What if you had the car shrink wrapped, and used it as a plug for a fiberglass body? You could add some additional rigid foam under the shrink wrap to help shape it. Like for a potential hardtop. Lay cloth and resin the whole thing. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/12/17 12:47 p.m.

Only half kidding. There are airplanes flying around with dope fabric fuselage, so why not this for a track car? The E36 M3 is pretty tough.

Other than if it tore off it would wrap around the windshield of the car behind.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/12/17 1:04 p.m.

Now I'm thinking I need to get a boat company to wrap our Exocet and we can announce the new body kit on April 1.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/12/17 2:41 p.m.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
10/12/17 4:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Having run around Spec Miatas at Laguna Seca, I can tell you that an Exocet with a stock 1.8 holds station on the front straight but is faster in corners and under braking. I'm assuming those Specs would be running non-stock "Spec" engines.

Bolt on an FM II turbo and the world changes.

I was thinking the same. Plus you don't need gobs of power at that weight to be fast enough to stay ahead on straights on most tracks. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/12/17 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

Ahh yes, the BMW 'gina!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/12/17 5:05 p.m.

I wonder what a Stitts Poly-Fiber covering, done rag and tube airplane style, would do for the aero. Couldn't possibly make it worse, unless it started to come loose at speed. 

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/12/17 5:15 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Kreb :

Ahh yes, the BMW 'gina!

I like that particular shot because it looks like a gal showing a bit of cleavage.

chuckles
chuckles Dork
2/1/18 2:24 p.m.

Why do all the tires look muddy?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/1/18 2:36 p.m.

Have you ever been to Road Atlanta? That red clay gets everywhere, and the parking lots are dirt.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/1/18 3:24 p.m.

I am going to be "that guy" I think.  I have never liked these things.  I just think they are ugly. I mean fell out of the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down ugly.  I don't understand peoples fascination with these.  I can see the novelty of owning  / driving one of these but I think I would be board with it in a month.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
2/1/18 3:43 p.m.
Blaise said:
ddavidv said:

Hmmm.

So for the guy trying to move to a track car that won't be so horribly outclassed on the straights as my stock drivetrain E30 the Exocet (normal, non-megapower version) isn't going to be much different? Disappointing.

Correct. If you watch the vid, you can see that there's a pretty big aero hit.

That being said, its a ~90whp 1.6. With a 160whp+ setup, it would be quite diff.

33% faster, to be exact.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/1/18 3:51 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I am going to be "that guy" I think.  I have never liked these things.  I just think they are ugly. I mean fell out of the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down ugly.  I don't understand peoples fascination with these.  I can see the novelty of owning  / driving one of these but I think I would be board with it in a month.

Very few people argue that they're attractive. The trick is that they're very effective. It's like a hyperactive Miata, everything just turned up to 11 and given a caffeine overdose.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/1/18 4:12 p.m.
dean1484 said:

They are a full-sized Kart, they aren't meant to be good-looking or pretty.  They are all function and very little form and much of that function comes from leveraging the Miata subframes and other major components which makes them a bit ungainly.

If you think you'd get bored with one, add the lift kit and go play in the sand/mud/trails.

For those that prefer a nicer looking face, there are other options for Miata-based japery like the Catfish or Locost or another alternative body kit for your Miata.

The difference is that many of those options are heavier and/or have their own limitations that make the Exocet a better performer in many common situations.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/1/18 4:17 p.m.
Stefan said:
dean1484 said:

They are a full-sized Kart, they aren't meant to be good-looking or pretty.  They are all function and very little form and much of that function comes from leveraging the Miata subframes and other major components which makes them a bit ungainly.

If you think you'd get bored with one, add the lift kit and go play in the sand/mud/trails.

For those that prefer a nicer looking face, there are other options for Miata-based japery like the Catfish or Locost or another alternative body kit for your Miata.

The difference is that many of those options are heavier and/or have their own limitations that make the Exocet a better performer in many common situations.

Or are more difficult to build, which is the case for both of your examples. The Locost version should be a couple of hundred pounds lighter, the Catfish is far more aerodynamically effective than the Exocet. But Exos are just plain easy to build.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/1/18 4:52 p.m.

I don't hate it.  I would not kick it out of my driveway if it showed up one morning.  Just over all not for me.  Oh and did I mention Ugly?  cheeky wink smiley

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
2/1/18 5:56 p.m.

Ugly shmugly. As someone who's owned a sevenesque, it's the attention that get's wearing, whether you like the looks or not. You start contemplating coming off like an a-hole and handing out FAQ cards to everyone who wants to strike up a conversation.

einy
einy HalfDork
2/1/18 6:05 p.m.

I love mine, even with a mild (for now) mostly stock 1.6.  Building it was a blast, getting it registered a PITA, but legally driving it worth it.  Except it is winter now so I have to wait.  Which sux.

you cannot be an introvert in this car.  Filling up with gas becomes a 30 minute series of conversations.  Every time without fail.  Kids LOVE it ... the Spiderman Car is often heard.

All that said, I would like to see Exomotive come out with an alternative body kit someday.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
2/1/18 7:31 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I love Love Love the fact that it’s homely looking. When you are driving it you can’t tell what a car looks like anyway.  And all the better to blow by the guys in the pretty cars

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/1/18 8:17 p.m.

You all are probably going to think I have lost my mind but I think that the Lotus 7 is one of the coolest cars. I would love to have one of those.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SK0Z5pRyATW4LXUB3daJo5zuGjvFztgyjXTWodmg1IbLzZY5IZlQCPv195lPjcfj