pkingham
pkingham Reader
3/28/20 7:06 p.m.

While we're all stuck at home, the idea has come up to expand upon our 3d printing capabilities into some other computer controlled manufacturing technology.  My kids are 13 and 15, and we've been 3d printing for a few years, and we're interested in expanding our horizons and capabilities.  We're looking for ideas.

I've seen the laser engraving thread, and it's interesting and an option, but what else is out there.  My son has done a bunch of routing (routering?) to make an electric guitar which has been cool but has also pointed out how much easier and more precise it would be do to it with a CNC router.  If we go that route, I'd want it to be able to handle aluminum as well.  

Anyone with experience with any of the multi-process machines (printing/laser engraving/router/...)? 

Ideally, we'd spend $300, but I could see spending $1k if there's a really compelling reason.  I recognize there is a three dimensional space of cost vs quality vs functionality, and I'd prioritize it as quality > functionality (flexibility) > cost, but we're not going to spend $5k on a toy with no ROI.  

I'm just looking for any input on ideas and rationalizations for various technologies/capabilities.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/28/20 7:55 p.m.

V1engineering.com makes the MPCNC and the Lowrider2 CNC router solutions.

You can either 3D print the parts yourself and buy the hardware on your own or buy them from them.

Both can be adapted to work as a pen plotter, drag knife (for vinyl, etc.), CNC Router, precision drill press (for making circuit boards and the like).

The Lowrider2 can be built to cut full 4'x8' sheets or any size in between.

Because they are mostly printed on 3D printers, you can alter them to do a wide range of things.

My Dad built a MPCNC and he's had a lot of fun sorting it out and he used it to make a circuit board for one of his electronics projects.  I'm going to have him build a router plate for my router table to use the router I have.

I'm considering building a Lowrider2 to build some cabinets for organizing my garage and other projects around the house.

If I get comfortable enough with it, I might even be able to use it to make a little money on the side.

Ultimately, like most shop tools, the tooling and setup is where the most of the time is spent.  So plan for that ok whatever you do. 

pkingham
pkingham Reader
3/28/20 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

That looks pretty cool. I love the idea of being able to print a lot of the parts, as that makes the assembly an interesting project by itself. We are looking at the website now to try to figure it out. It's not super easy to understand at first glance. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/28/20 9:57 p.m.

That is very interesting.  Any idea what level of accuracy is achieved on a full sheet with the lowrider?

That thing could pay for itself in no time!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/28/20 10:57 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

That is very interesting.  Any idea what level of accuracy is achieved on a full sheet with the lowrider?

That thing could pay for itself in no time!

It's essentially the same as the MPCNC, but it uses thicker wall stainless steel tubing instead of electrical conduit.  It's driven by 5 NEMA 17 stepper motors and 10mm GT2 belts.  You can of course improve it further as your skills and needs grow.

There are some good posts over on their forums, I'll see if I can find some pictures/video to share here.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/29/20 12:37 a.m.

In reply to pkingham :

feel free to ask questions, I'll help where I can.

mkingham
mkingham New Reader
3/30/20 6:38 p.m.

i am pkingham's son, and i was wondering if you had any suggestions for tutorials on how to assemble the mpcnc

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/30/20 7:36 p.m.

I'd start here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1671517

and then dive into the website:

https://www.v1engineering.com/specifications/

and the forum there for more specific info

There's also a FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MPCNC/?fref=nf

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/15/20 9:29 a.m.

Stefan, I recall reading on here somewhere you were going to do a MPCNC or Lowrider... have you built one yet?  Really interested in this.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/15/20 9:38 a.m.

Yeah, I've got most of the parts printed and I've bought most of the hardware.

Just need the last of the parts printed, the electronics, the rails and the table.  So its slow going, buts its going.

I'll likely have the wooden bits cut out on my Dad's MPCNC to save a few bucks and to give him something to do as part of his stroke recovery.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/20 5:32 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, I've got most of the parts printed and I've bought most of the hardware.

Just need the last of the parts printed, the electronics, the rails and the table.  So its slow going, buts its going.

I'll likely have the wooden bits cut out on my Dad's MPCNC to save a few bucks and to give him something to do as part of his stroke recovery.

Checking in again, any progress?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 5:40 p.m.

We've been on COVID lockdown, so I've not been out to Dad's shop in months.

Eventually, things will calm down and I can head out to his shop and work on it some more.

NBraun
NBraun Reader
11/10/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

Any update on this? I'd love to hear if you ended up getting it together. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/10/21 8:03 a.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter)
11/10/21 4:31 p.m.
NBraun said:

Any update on this? I'd love to hear if you ended up getting it together. 

May be an image of text that says 'Get new idea Start new project Finish project Tell everyone'

Due to a number of issues, mostly COVID and Mental Health related, I've not done anything with it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
11/10/21 4:46 p.m.

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
11/10/21 5:22 p.m.

Let me know if you want a hand. I would love to help and mess around with something like that as a next step from 3D printing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7uOpsKPNEBdIuj06ijIcxrmGmcRQ5ba68FpbpqSS3a79rRCqocJQYia4673Alyrt