1 2 3
captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
4/5/21 7:18 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Got them to 18800. I don't want to travel to buy. The last few usually are two hours away and makes it harder to walk away from a deal. Also we were trying to get a color other than black. The silver should hide blemishes and dirt much easier. 

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
4/6/21 3:32 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

My '97 tow van had 280k when I did those mods. The '97 & I think '98 has forged parts. Still going very strong. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/6/21 3:54 p.m.

Cant believe how much it costs for seething with 120k miles. 

How about Armadas? Haven't really towed with mine yet but similar to sequoias, are usually a good value compared to domestics. 

I bought a 2002 Escalade (HD Tranny/tow package/6.0L/Air suspension standard) with 100k miles for $7k because no one wants that body style. It has been an absolute horse alongside the 2004 escalade I owned.

Do you mind an outdated electronics package/styling in trade for the most comfy sofas every in an SUV and a dead nutz reliable drivetrain?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/7/21 12:36 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Early Escalades are certainly a deal right now. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/21 10:02 a.m.

I ended up buying a 2500hd but the Denalis with the 6.2 do have a higher tow rating than the others. In addition to fancy they are definitely a step up from the other 1/2 tons.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/7/21 2:43 p.m.

Another data point on the 3.5EB. Love it in my 2013 F-150. For mixed/highway driving I get 17-19mpg. Towing a 6500lb 8.5x20 enclosed trailer I get over 10mpg if I stay below 65mph. Mileage drops exponentially when you go faster than that, but it's just physics- has nothing to do with the motor. It is a pleasure to drive and has been bulletproof so far. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/7/21 3:50 p.m.

I've been sniffing around this category for a while now, and I keep landing at 6.2gmt900 escalade. Squishy guts, absurdly depreciated, 6l80....I haven't found a downside yet other than abysmal gas mileage,.and my Jeep still gets worse. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/8/21 8:30 p.m.

My '17 Yukon Denali has been rock solid for me.  I picked it up used in late '18 and have added 45k to it with nothing more than fluid changes and tire rotations.  I understand now why these things sell so well.  

80sFast
80sFast Reader
4/8/21 8:34 p.m.

My step dads got a 5.4 with 500k and I had one in a F250 I didn't treat nice with 340k. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/29/23 8:59 a.m.

(Nice Zombie bump) I admit that I'm uncomfortable with my 10+ year old VW Touareg TDI about to go out of warranty,  but reading about single digit towing MPGs makes me cringe. In the last 10 days I've driven 3,000 miles towing Boxsters on an open 17' trailer averaging 20 mpg at 75 mph. Even without trailer brakes, it was easy to be mindless of the extra load. Why can't Ford and Chevy do that?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/30/23 12:06 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :Box

A buddy has the diesel V10 treg and it's impressive, but that's a dramatically smaller SUV than the Chevy and the Ford. I'm sure that doesn't help things from a comparison perspective. The Boxter on an open trailer is also a fairly mild load since it is so aerodynamic, even my old '90s K1500 would tow that in the low double digits from my experience. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/30/23 1:03 p.m.

We've had a '17 Expedition with the 3.5 EcoBoost for a couple of years and it's great for road trips but sucks at towing. Plenty of torque and great brakes but our small 3,500 lb camper with maybe 700 lbs on the tongue gives it a very noticeable squat. 

They make springs for the armored version of the Expedition that are about twice the stock rate but, I never got around to buying any.

I vote Tahoe/Suburban.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/30/23 1:35 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Do you have a part number for the springs? I don't have any bad squat issues but the rear suspension is a little soft on these. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/30/23 1:40 p.m.

Mine has the Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks. I believe they are a bolt-on for any Expedition. They are self-contained.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
5/30/23 5:49 p.m.
mdshaw said:

In reply to yupididit :

The 7.3 Excursion with injectors, air filter, hpop, tunes, exhaust would get you @ 350hp & 800 torques. That would be my choice.

Buy stock in Dynamat.  Split shot injectors are better but the older single shots some guys run are just obnoxious.

I'm still amazed at just how many hard-core fans the old 7.3 PSD has.  The newest ones are 20 years old which is about the average age of the fan bois on Facebook 

5/30/23 8:00 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
mdshaw said:

In reply to yupididit :

The 7.3 Excursion with injectors, air filter, hpop, tunes, exhaust would get you @ 350hp & 800 torques. That would be my choice.

Buy stock in Dynamat.  Split shot injectors are better but the older single shots some guys run are just obnoxious.

I'm still amazed at just how many hard-core fans the old 7.3 PSD has.  The newest ones are 20 years old which is about the average age of the fan bois on Facebook 

I feel the same way about Excursions in general. Sure, the 7.3 is/was a great engine, but most of them have the crappy old 2V V10 or even the 5.4. And all of them are still old-ass trucks with turn-of-the-millenium Ford build quality and interiors. For what people want for them, they are a hard pass for me.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/30/23 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I still miss mine. If it was 4wd I probably would've kept it. It could drive from San Antonio to Atlanta on one tank with the cruise set to 65. think I sold it for a fair price though. It was just too loud and stinky for me. I wouldn't mind a 6.0 Excursion though. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/31/23 9:20 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Let me see if I can find those springs again.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/31/23 9:43 a.m.

I haven't found the same ones I stumbled onto a while back but, here's a set for an '04-'20 F150 (same springs as the front of the Expedition just slightly taller) that are 70% stiffer than stock:

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=56427

I'm still looking for the rears.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/31/23 9:56 a.m.

I keep coming up with post after post on Expedition forums asking about stiffer rear springs but, I haven't found them yet, aside from a $2,000 set of coilovers. There's definitely a market there if somebody can produce rear coils for a few hundred dollars.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/31/23 1:49 p.m.

My googlefu is failing me. I can't find the coil springs meant for armored Expeditions or limousine Expeditions.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/31/23 1:52 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Mine has the Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks. I believe they are a bolt-on for any Expedition. They are self-contained.

Hmm did yours come from the factory with the Nivomat? 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/31/23 1:53 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Thank you. I'll look when I have some spare time

5/31/23 2:21 p.m.
yupididit said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Hmm did yours come from the factory with the Nivomat? 

Yep, they are on the window sticker. I replaced them over the winter with new OEM ones. The part number is ASH24550.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/31/23 9:42 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Does yours have the tow package too? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zhyRSsYj2wXQHg053FRLPOKmlZx83Ahtgu0QERoMsIsF22ioHO2qoSTyxvVK3nkG