1 2
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 2:21 p.m.

Think since it's obd2 they just plug it in and do the visual(which in ohio is a mirror peek under the car, not even enough to see if you have a converter or just heat sheilds screwed to the straight pipe).  If you had a program that deleted stuff but was able to pass the plug in test, you could effectively gut the dpf to pass the visual.  It sucks that you're in this position.  I would try and make noise higher up in VW before i took things into my own hands.  It would really suck if you did some delete stuff and tune and it didn't fix it, or if you're like me and you are just over the car at this point and will always be sour about it.  My avalanche was like that, by the time i fixed everything it was probably bulletproof for the next guy, but i was over it.  Sucks when your daily isn't right.  

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
8/18/20 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Pretty sour at this point, yeah. Part of that stems from the hack dealer I bought it from (longer story). It's been a bad experience from the beginning but I'm working hard on convincing myself it's just the teething phase that'll blossom into something great (?).

Just have had a bad string of luck with my daily in recent history. 

Had a break from work calls all afternoon (see: browsing GRM) and should be getting a call back from VW this evening. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/18/20 3:03 p.m.

I may tune our Cayenne Diesel when the warranty is over.  We'll have to see, its my wifes car and she could care less about performance and never complains to me about throttle lag.  If I decide to take it back from her in a few years and keep it long term I'll probably tune it. 

Not sure if I'll delete the DPF and EGR or not.  The EGR on this engine tends to get really coked up with soot, so deleting it is attractive but I like to keep all the emissions stuff intact.  Pretty sure I wouldn't get jammed up on the test here in Colorado with that stuff deleted but the rules do change and it would suck to have to reinstall it all and change tunes, etc...

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
8/19/20 7:25 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I suppose there's a chance that even if I wasn't having this issue I'd tune it eventually but I definitely wouldn't be considering it any time soon.

Finally got through to someone at VW yesterday evening who started a new case and has re-escalated it. I made it clear that I'd really much rather have the car fixed and keep it than dumping it but we'll see. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/19/20 8:34 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Yeah, it's not worth jeopardizing the warranty with a tune.  Especially since my wife could care less about performance, most the time she's on the highway driving ~50 mph in the slow lane!  Seriously, she drives slower than her mom, lol! 

When it has around 100k miles is when I'll likely have to make the decision to either sell/trade it in for a new car for her or keep it for myself.  That'll depend on how reliable it is and whether I want to keep it and sell my Golf R instead, which will still be under warranty...

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
8/19/20 1:49 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Did the Porsche TDI vehicles get a warranty extension as well? I know my Touareg had its warranty extended to 10y,120k. The fix was applied at 121k, THEN got another 4y, 48,000 miles tacked on as well.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/20/20 8:33 a.m.

In reply to sobe_death :

The factory bumper to bumper warranty got extended 2 years, so a 6 year warranty.  Then the powertrain warranty got extended to 10 years/120k miles, which should include all the emissions stuff like the DPF, EGR, etc.

So I'm really reluctant to do anything that'll potentially impact that warranty, especially since its my wifes car and she's totally oblivious about cars.  I mean, she drove home from work on a totally flat tire, even tho the tpms showed her - 41 psi.  Yes, MINUS 41 PSI!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QqWaKhf8EnAKR5nN3EiJID19hujpnbnN08lxkceyz2IS397wsgd88qP79qLBCKtu