ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
2/12/21 2:26 p.m.

My automotive ADD kicked in and I started to look at the F80 M3 to replace my DD ('16 JKU Sahara) and fun car ('03 C5 Z06 with some mods incl Recaro seat). I need 4 door since I am not done with car pool duty for the next few years so no M4 for me. 

How reliable is this gen M3, is the stick shift more reliable than the DCT, is it worth to wait for one with Competition package? If I get one I'd get some sort of extended warranty from either manufacturer or go the Carfax route. I hate paying for unexpected repairs and I figured with manufacturer extended warranty or Carfax one I have some peace of mind as far as how much my out of pocket will be. Also, how is the insurance on this? I'd think it wouldn't be a big jump compared to what I am paying for my Jeep and Vette combined. Plus my insurance will at least double anyway in a few months when my son get his full license so it's going to be bad either way. 

I will use it as DD (when we all are actually working in offices again), autocross mainly with local chapter of BMWCCA (NCCBMWCCA), may be a couple of autcross with SCCA and a couple of track cross or track days per year. 

If you were in my position would you do it (basically swap DD and fun car combo with one dual duty car)? I am hoping that I won't need to add more than $10K to get the F80 M3 once I've sold my Jeep and Vette. 

Thanks guys.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
2/12/21 4:25 p.m.

As a longtime BMW owner, you could not pay me enough money - warranty or not - to put up with the potential issues associated with any of the twin-turbo powerplants. And if it's your only car you're hosed if it spends significant time in the shop. The F80 is too new for my blood anyway.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
2/12/21 4:31 p.m.

I have a '16 with DCT and around 30K miles on it.  I haven't tracked it and DD something else.  I use it mainly for longer trips and occasionally for local use.  I like it a lot. It's fast as hell and handles beyond my abilities.  I've had 4 problems with it.  1. Trim strip on CF top came loose, dealer repaired under warranty.  2. The silly M emblems on the front seats (silly because they light up) cracked, dealer repaired under warranty.   3. Thumbwheel that increases/decreases cruise control setting deteriorate, replace by dealer under warranty. 4. I've twice.had a display that says "charging system malfunction, take care to dealer" or something to that effect . First time I was 80 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and drove it home & had it flat-bedded to dealer the next day.  The dealer couldn't find a problem.  The second time I was in heavy traffic 250 miles from home, I drove to my hotel, parked the car over night & haven't seen the warning since. 

Insurance isn't bad but I'm old & haven't had a moving violation ticket since 1978.

I haven't tracked it  but it should be a hoot with the nannies switched off.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/12/21 5:01 p.m.

That's a car you own under warranty...

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/12/21 5:07 p.m.

Good idea if you want a 5 series space with an m3 feel and have deep pockets to support the non-warrenty work.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/12/21 5:10 p.m.

I just sold my 2017 M4 with the Competition package. DCT. 

I bought it new so the warranty was there. I would buy again CPO and with a good BMW extended warranty. 
I never had any problems. 
As M2Pilot states, its way faster than any other M3 I've had. Insane torque. 

If you get it, try to get the comp package. Its worth it. 

Insurance was insane down here. Almost $3k/year. 

I miss it but I am glad its gone. Too small for me as I have 3 kids. M3 would have been great. 

barthayes
barthayes New Reader
2/12/21 5:14 p.m.

Bought a '17 comp package with 15k last spring. After 2 - e92 M3's in a row I was really hesitant. I haven't looked back despite the glorious sound of the S65. The f80 could be a (really fast) daily driver., the e92, not so much. I do my own work and am not intimidated by anything on the f80. I'm a 3 pedal person, but buy the DCT! A great car with Supercar tendancies.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
2/12/21 9:23 p.m.

Oh, and another thing.  Cost of battery replacement is somewhere north of $1K. They do seem to last for a long time though.

2/12/21 9:26 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

Oh, and another thing.  Cost of battery replacement is somewhere north of $1K. They do seem to last for a long time though.

Forgot this. I had one replaced under warranty. Only warranty claim. 

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
2/14/21 12:51 a.m.

Just a quick update..knowing how much I hate paying for dealership repair and how expensive things can get I've decided to get a slightly less fast 4 door from a different continent..the Civic Type R.. now to decide to get a new vs slightly used one...

2/14/21 8:59 a.m.

In reply to ea_sport :

That is a car I have been eyeing. I think new is the way to go, they have barely depreciated. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
2/14/21 11:58 a.m.

Looking forward to your Type R review 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgjt9vwu6q2J6N6HrQ7uefbGQ16TToFoXOzat1ES0cbWeIdMBmIC6kH8A991aAFB