1 2 3
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/28/11 4:09 p.m.

On behalf of all the folks at Grassroots Motorsports and Factory Five, I'm excited to announce our biggest contest ever.

Click here for the contest details.

There are bound to be a thousand questions, suggestions, and ideas surrounding this contest, so we'll keep you posted here and on the contest page as we move along.

Keep in mind that at the end of the day, the winner will be the one with the most appealing design. There's no specific requirement for how many drawings you'll need for your entry, but it will help to show your design from multiple perspectives.

Good luck!

Just for kicks, I whipped up a 3 minute sketch of my own. I hope yours are better!

peter
peter Reader
2/28/11 7:55 p.m.

For your enjoyment, I've started a design blog over on the FF forums. As soon as I come up with a good name, it'll get a real URL on blogger. But for now, check it out here. Sorry the formatting is weird. once again, moving it soon. Will update links, etc.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
2/28/11 8:00 p.m.

I would like to revise my previous Stratos comments and offer an alternative.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
2/28/11 8:16 p.m.
Brotus7 wrote: I would like to revise my previous Stratos comments and offer an alternative.

Schwing!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg Reader
2/28/11 8:18 p.m.

oh dear, just had a crisis...

that is one good looking car. your design, or something from an existing manufacturer?

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/28/11 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Slyp_Dawg:

Artega GT 1 (I cheated and looked at the location where the image was hotlinked from). Fisker designed apparently. I could be happy with one of those, or even a knock-off built in my garage with a WRX drivetrain. For some reason the profile picture makes me think of the love child of a 370z and a ferrari 458.

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
2/28/11 8:28 p.m.

I see your Wienermobiel and raise you a classic Batmobiel.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/28/11 9:26 p.m.
Brotus7 wrote: I would like to revise my previous Stratos comments and offer an alternative.

Looks like the Lotus Evora:

peter
peter Reader
2/28/11 11:06 p.m.

Top view template has gone 404.

Thanks!

imirk
imirk New Reader
2/28/11 11:08 p.m.

$5000 you aren't berkeleying around

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/28/11 11:13 p.m.
peter wrote: Top view template has gone 404. Thanks!

Fixed. Thanks!

imirk wrote: $5000 you aren't berkeleying around

That is a lot of scratch, but the possibility of creating the next great sports car design is even cooler to me.

...Told you it was gonna be an awesome contest!

peter
peter Reader
2/28/11 11:54 p.m.

If it will help anyone else out there, I found some EJ20 engine and transmission dimensions. I will cite sources if you ask, but since these are aggregated from several places, I'll just get on with it.

From the front of the pulley to the rear of the block is 430mm

From the rear of the block to the center of the driveshafts is 165mm

From the rear of the block to the end of the transmission is 825mm

These are general numbers, don't plan to go to the moon using them. I did not measure any engines here!

Argo1
Argo1 New Reader
3/1/11 12:27 a.m.

Show us the chassis please. OK, so the contest is pretty much a blank sheet of paper, however, a chassis does exist. I think I can speak for everybody in asking to see pictures and the design of the chassis. What parts are firm, what parts are open to adjustment with the accepted body design. Some basic questions need answers such as what type of suspension is used? What parts from the Subie will be used besides the engine? Front or side/rear radiator? Lots of questions need answers. Need input.

Besides the design details, the marketing plan/ direction is also important. Who is this car targeted for? What is it's primary focus? The specs would suggest a lighter, quicker, better quality Lotus Elise/ Exige. The sharp end of the performance pencil is already occupied by the GTM. Where does this car fit

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 1:10 a.m.

WERD

bluej
bluej HalfDork
3/1/11 6:00 a.m.

Agreed with argo1. Could spend a lot of time on something useless otherwise.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
3/1/11 6:51 a.m.

Tom: Can you make this a Sticky or in the Advertisers Playground?

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/1/11 7:08 a.m.

The front track is wider than the rear track? That messes up my first idea a bit.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/1/11 7:18 a.m.

I would argue the extrerior design could influence the chassis layout somewhat. About the only fixed part is the engine/transmission location and their relation to the rear wheels.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
3/1/11 7:49 a.m.

Dragula for the win:

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
3/1/11 7:55 a.m.

Is this the frame? It's not symmetrical. It looks like it's missing some tubes in the right front corner going into the node where the top tube is kinked.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
3/1/11 7:56 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7:

Also, can you throw in some rough dimensions for a design envelope, or something like a keep out region if you don't want to/can't disclose the actual frame dimensions.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/1/11 8:01 a.m.
Argo1 wrote: Show us the chassis please. OK, so the contest is pretty much a blank sheet of paper, however, a chassis does exist. I think I can speak for everybody in asking to see pictures and the design of the chassis. What parts are firm, what parts are open to adjustment with the accepted body design. Some basic questions need answers such as what type of suspension is used? What parts from the Subie will be used besides the engine? Front or side/rear radiator? Lots of questions need answers. Need input. Besides the design details, the marketing plan/ direction is also important. Who is this car targeted for? What is it's primary focus? The specs would suggest a lighter, quicker, better quality Lotus Elise/ Exige. The sharp end of the performance pencil is already occupied by the GTM. Where does this car fit

This thread is for questions just like these. (And to show off your entries.)

Hotlinked from the contest details page:

Here's the chassis. Whether there are two horizontal supports under the floorpan or twenty, the contest is to design the shape of the new car. I'd argue that only having to work within the basic dimensions (wheelbase, ride height, track width, mid-engine configuration, etc.) provided leaves you a lot more room for creative design.

Don't get too caught up in suspension design; that's Factory Five's job and not part of this contest. A marketing plan is way outside the scope of what we're doing. Relax and draw the shape, don't try to create every nut and bolt.

If you have an inspired design for an ultra sports car that's more extreme than the GTM, submit it. If you also have an idea for a retro looking "fun" roadster, submit that too.

The winner will be the best design, not the best engineering solution. Factory Five will make modifications to the winning entry as necessary to fit your shape on their chassis.

I hope that helps; don't think we're avoiding the question but the idea is to get as many cool shapes and unique entries as possible. Requiring entries to meet engineering data points will restrict that.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/11 8:16 a.m.

I really hope I will get a chance to draw something.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/1/11 8:21 a.m.
minimac wrote: Tom: Can you make this a Sticky or in the Advertisers Playground?

Stickied indeed, but here in the GRM forum...it's our contest too.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/1/11 8:22 a.m.

When more details of the chassis (it is still being finalized) become available, I am sure we can get Factory 5 to show us some pictures and dimensions. They have pledged to have the finished (or at least nearly finished) chassis on display for its first public showing at their owner's meeting at the Classic Motorsports Mitty event April 30th. Again, you have the dimensions. We have alluded to the fact that this is the next coming of the Lotus 7 or even a Cobra for the new century.

Enjoy, win some money and earn yourself a place in sports car history. We put this together with the folks at Factory Five for our readers to enjoy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zVXcDjOV6xWfmOUM9hKcKHXRxSkO2TfsgpGs7UZi54kErOk8UruxGBSmAGDB4MGB