Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/2/11 12:58 p.m.

In reply to mekeys:

It's because you're starting your comment with a tab. I fixed that.

I'm working on pulling all of the attachments out and trying to resize them for a consistent presentation. There are other things I'm working on at the same time, and I'm not 100% sure it's even possible to do it cleanly. It's on my radar, but give me some time.

bluej
bluej Dork
6/2/11 1:41 p.m.

Thanks for the effort, Tom! 8)

BipDBo
BipDBo New Reader
6/2/11 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Tom Heath: How many submissions were there total? If there was a way to estimate all of the hours spent from aspiring designers accross the world, I'm sure that Factry 5 would find out that they got quite a good rate on consultant fees. Anyway, I wanted to post my submission onto this thread, but it looks like I have to first set up an account with photo sharing site. Then I remembered that my renderings all have my name and phone number on them so I'm glad I didn't post. A lot of people would like to see 1 large collection of all of the entries. It would be great if you could send out an email to everyone asking for one or two pictures with phone numbers removed to be posted publicly. You could post them all to one big thread or to facebook so that everyone could comment on each picture.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/2/11 4:15 p.m.

More than 700 submissions from almost 400 entrants. That's a lot of photoshop time and backwards HTML coding no matter how you slice it.

Although convincing entrants to share some of the photoshop labor would help immensely...

Reload
Reload New Reader
6/2/11 5:01 p.m.

Tell me what dimensions you want and I'll convert my files for you.

05xtsy
05xtsy New Reader
6/2/11 5:11 p.m.

Me too Tom, I would be happy to help you out.

peter
peter Reader
6/2/11 6:56 p.m.

i hate to be a geek about this, but isn't there some automated way to resize jpgs?

I could probably come up with a small unix script to do the work, if everything is in JPG, but you'd need a place to run it. And you'd need to trust that I'm not going to use it to take over your machine... :) You have a linux machine with a bit of horsepower and access to the files?

VTX
VTX New Reader
6/2/11 7:56 p.m.
dagoro wrote: Ooh, just got confirmation . Here's my entry:

That's very nice work! I like it, however it does seem just a tad "cute". Not necessarily a bad thing, but I am kind of hoping for something that is pretty aggressive looking, like Mario's design.

But you have a lot of talent and this design is certainly a very good one!

Reload
Reload New Reader
6/2/11 8:13 p.m.

Batch conversion

Tom, I am pretty sure you can use XnView to do a batch convert of a variety of image files to say Jpeg at a specific dimension. You open the program, select the files you want and then choose Tools -> Batch Processing. Hope this helps!

• Reload
mekeys
mekeys New Reader
6/2/11 8:47 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: In reply to mekeys: It's because you're starting your comment with a tab. I fixed that. I'm working on pulling all of the attachments out and trying to resize them for a consistent presentation. There are other things I'm working on at the same time, and I'm not 100% sure it's even possible to do it cleanly. It's on my radar, but give me some time.

Tom thanks for the fix.I had no clue what went wrong. Mel

toxonix
toxonix
6/3/11 1:15 a.m.

got confirmation, thanks. Here is my submission. Modeled in Wings3D, rendered with Kerkythea

More renders at http://toxonix.blogspot.com Thanks and good luck!

CamReid
CamReid
6/3/11 1:48 a.m.

Wow Toxonix, very LeMans/Speedster like. Love it, well done.

BlueAntares
BlueAntares
6/3/11 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Tom Heath: In reply to Tom Heath:

It's June 3rd now but I still don't have a confirmation.

I sent in two entries a couple hours apart near the end.

my email: maildefiant@aol.com

Thank you.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
6/3/11 2:10 p.m.
dagoro wrote: Ooh, just got confirmation . Here's my entry:

Is this design using the donor windshield?

Looks like a winner to me. I can actually see the design fitting into the spirit of a 15k car.

JCJ007
JCJ007 None
6/3/11 4:37 p.m.

Time to join this forum and post my name is Jeremy from Britain (hence the licence plate and the reason the steering wheel is on the wrong side.) and I finally posted my own ideas shortly before the deadline this week. I have skimmed through the 58 pages of this forum and the competition is tough, loads of great designs how they'll choose is beyond me, there are numerous ones they could pick for all sorts of reasons.

My strategy was simple; be bold, be different and I hope my design does this. Factory Five needs a memorable car which is distinctly their own.

My design is called The F5 (a name I have seen others suggest on the forum). The top surface is a different colour and a completely separate surface which is meant to appear to float above the sides there are air ducts either side of front arch and in front of the rear arch, 3 adjustable spoilers in the nose, tail and in the roll hoop, tinted polycarbonate allows you to see the suspension and engine and sweeps around the cockpit. I have made the nose pointy and the rear has a very theatrical exhaust . Lights wraparound and the rear ones are part of another tinted polycarbonate panel.

I have ideas for a detachable hardtop and a full interior design which was not entered into the competition but will no doubt post here at some stage.

In my research I learned how to draw a Subaru Boxer engine and actually found a company who do metallic and other finishes of gelcoat which offers some interesting possibilities one of their finishes is granite! Hmmmm..... when I order one of these kit cars someday two tone with granite and metallic blue might be nice?

It's been a long time since I have worked on anything quite like this and thank you to Grassroots Motorsport and Factory Five for making this competition so welcoming and giving us freedom to do almost anything.

Comments are welcome and I hope you like my designs . I give you my version of the F5.

Sideview: Topview: Front 3/4: Rear 3/4:

Goodluck to all I think the only thing we can predict about the winner is it will be a surprise.

BipDBo
BipDBo New Reader
6/3/11 5:15 p.m.

With 700 submissions to sort through, this will take some time. Do you guys have any idea of when the winners will be announced?

peter
peter Reader
6/3/11 8:19 p.m.

Winners to be announced June 11th at the Factory Five Open house.

Rule #4 http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/design/

That's a pretty quick turn around!

SW1
SW1 New Reader
6/3/11 9:34 p.m.

Thanks Josh,

Yeah, in an attempt to hit the target price point the base roadster does without doors, windows, and a roof. Here is the first slide of my presentation with all the marketing talk.

BipDBo
BipDBo New Reader
6/4/11 12:02 a.m.

It's missing some details, like lights, but I'd like to think that the concept is sound. The interior, wheels and the mirrors were taken from a drawing of a Nissan I pulled off of a Cad share site. Photobucket

unclebigbad
unclebigbad New Reader
6/4/11 7:16 a.m.
toxonix wrote: got confirmation, thanks. Here is my submission. Modeled in Wings3D, rendered with Kerkythea

This is very nice, another one I'd drive. With an attitude.

SETHalpine
SETHalpine New Reader
6/4/11 2:04 p.m.
SW1 wrote:

this design is very pro , simple and nice but looks like the Scuderia Bizzarini P538 I admit that it's quite different but not enough, same author?

Stoianov
Stoianov New Reader
6/4/11 3:13 p.m.

Bluewinters21
Bluewinters21 New Reader
6/4/11 11:58 p.m.

SETHalpine, I’ve been looking at both cars and I think that there is enough of a difference (in my opinion) to be considered two different designs. I would like to know if SW1 borrowed his lines from the Scuderia Bizzarini P538, or if it was just a serious freak occurrence? It's hard to be original these days. Or if he did design them both?

05xtsy
05xtsy New Reader
6/5/11 12:10 a.m.

^^They are very similar, does that change anything?

Cr8tr
Cr8tr New Reader
6/5/11 1:09 a.m.

Wow....that is very interesting to SW1 design.

SETHalpine wrote:
SW1 wrote:
this design is very pro , simple and nice but looks like the Scuderia Bizzarini P538 I admit that it's quite different but not enough, same author?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zu4tO7giwyiYMoEddqee9ErgiRpePLvm9uUxhLeczuv1LOBoTP000RyFY47BPMNS