1 2 3
MachVDan
MachVDan New Reader
12/18/12 1:15 p.m.

We see some unusual parts failures here at Mach V Motorsports. Sometimes it's just parts that have been used beyond where they should have been replaced. Other times things break in ways they shouldn't. Here are some highlights...

Subaru WRX AC idler. "My engine is making a funny noise."

Subary Legacy transmission. The throwout bearing eats into the end of the casing, and sometimes breaks pieces off. We had to supply this guy a new trans case. Which is, you know, not cheap.

Off-brand aluminum copy of a Kartboy WRX short shifter. The Kartboy ones never break. This one did. Sort of makes it hard to drive.

Deformed rod bearings out of a Subaru engine.

Customer couldn't get a steel bolt out of an aluminum Brembo caliper. That's not uncommon. What IS uncommon is the customer heating the caliper until the aluminum turns molten and flows away.

"Please re-use my existing belts, if possible."

Damaged Subaru piston

Customer wonders if his clutch is still good...

This kind of failure of the rubber-dampened crank pulley is common on MINI Coopers, but it can happen on lots of other cars, too.

Customer complained of a vibration.

"Car is down on power." Turbine wheel of a Subaru Legacy turbo.

Subaru spring. It's pretty rare to see one actually broken.

Coilover top hat for a Subaru. These normally would be flat.

--Dan
Mach V Motorsports

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
12/18/12 1:17 p.m.

I laffed at the commentary!!!!!!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/18/12 1:19 p.m.

Teenage boy speed shifting?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/18/12 1:34 p.m.

Great post. Reminds me of dropping my mangled driveline off at the machine shop. Someone beat me. They made theirs into an L shape.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/18/12 1:39 p.m.

Excellent post! Please keep them coming, this is great entertainment.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/18/12 2:11 p.m.

I have a folder of photos at work when things fail, here is one of my favorites, this is what it looks like when your forward rear axle looses oil and the driver just says "berkeley it!"

codrus
codrus Reader
12/18/12 2:15 p.m.

What's up with the steel bolts in the aluminum caliper? Are you supposed to use something else?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
12/18/12 2:38 p.m.
codrus wrote: What's up with the steel bolts in the aluminum caliper? Are you supposed to use something else?

yes, grease

MachVDan
MachVDan New Reader
12/18/12 2:57 p.m.

This is a filter intended to keep debris out of the Oil Control Valve (which runs the car's adjustable valve timing) on a late-model Subaru. Instead, the filter came apart and jammed the OCV. Car ran like crap since one side of the variable cam system was stuck.

This is a stock front brake pad off my brand new Subaru BRZ, after two days of HPDE at Summit Point.

This photo is NOT mine, but it's the aftermath of an oil pickup cracking loose on a Subaru turbo engine.

Another Subaru piston. This one is out of a 2008 WRX STI. There were a lot of this kind of failure from this model year, many on cars that were not modified. We're not sure why.

--Dan
Mach V

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
12/18/12 3:12 p.m.

Here's what happens when a Lexus SC 430 sucks a ton of water up into the motor:

There was probably a half-liter or more of water in various locations through out the intake, heads, cylinders, etc. It was a mess.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/19/12 5:54 a.m.

Batvan's #3.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/19/12 6:25 a.m.

Seller: "There's something wrong with the transmission."

TCase11

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/19/12 6:36 a.m.
Woody wrote: Seller: "There's something wrong with the transmission." TCase11

I did that once to a 4R70W 4x4.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 Reader
12/19/12 7:29 a.m.

Wish i had pics from when my 87 civic si decided to slice its own distributor in half... And still ran!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/19/12 7:35 a.m.

Had a transfer case here a while back which was run dry, the chain ate a huge half moon hole in the case. I should have taken pics. I can't find the famous pics of the Nissan pickup with a mattress wrapped around the driveshaft unfortunately.

EDIT: My Google-fu has waxed full again.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/19/12 7:53 a.m.

Can I play too? I tried to sell the customer a timing belt for his 1st or second gen Talon due to miles. He called me everything in the book, saying I was a crook. maybe two months later it was towed in, "crank, no-start".

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/19/12 8:19 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

epic win

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
12/19/12 8:38 a.m.
MachVDan wrote: This is a stock front brake pad off my brand new Subaru BRZ, after two days of HPDE at Summit Point.

What can cause pads to wear like this? The rears on my 2002 WRX looked similar to this when i replaced therm not long ago, although not to that extent.

octavious
octavious Reader
12/19/12 8:52 a.m.

Wow! Some of those are just crazy.

Here is mine. This is from a 1980 Porsche 3.0 that had a connecting rod break and punch a hole in the case and destroyed the valve. The last two pics are the pieces that came out when I was draining the oil...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader

In my case... it was a mix. had 1 piston slightly dragging in the front dual piston calipers. And the the caliper lock pin (the one wit hthe weird little rubber end) was hydrolocking in the bore of the caliper bracket.

1 fresh caliper + 1 OEM seal kit (the aftermarket bushings are a little wider diameter and stick out wider than the pin) = right as rain.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
MachVDan wrote: Off-brand aluminum copy of a Kartboy WRX short shifter. The Kartboy ones never break. This one did. Sort of makes it hard to drive.

Is that one of the infamous Agency Power (aka Vivid Racing, aka garbage) shifters? That's definitely one of those Kartboy "Overpriced Garbage" ones.

asetech
asetech New Reader
12/19/12 9:17 a.m.

Kia Spectra..."The temp gauge was on H, but I thought I could make it".

Dodge Dakota..." was just sitting at a stop light".

What happens when a recirculating blow off valve recirculates its insides into a turbo compressor wheel!

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
12/19/12 9:29 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: I have a folder of photos at work when things fail, here is one of my favorites, this is what it looks like when your forward rear axle looses oil and the driver just says "berkeley it!"

What is a "forward rear axle ?"

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
12/19/12 9:39 a.m.
MachVDan wrote: Customer wonders if his clutch is still good... Mach V Motorsports

This is my favorite.

I'll have to see if I can find the Kent Piston and rod that came out of my race Fiesta when the red mist decended and I wasn't looking at the oil pressure.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
12/19/12 9:48 a.m.
Uncoiled wrote:
MachVDan wrote: This is a stock front brake pad off my brand new Subaru BRZ, after two days of HPDE at Summit Point.
What can cause pads to wear like this? The rears on my 2002 WRX looked similar to this when i replaced therm not long ago, although not to that extent.

caliper brackets flexing under braking pressure

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TAxhWohlLU9yNbNzc6JWojV29SiCecIYLttv1FGpeo4FMjnu0QwLfzteJvtCch5g