1 2
novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
6/18/11 12:17 p.m.

but the 5 lug conversion opens things up for easy parts tore big brake upgrades from a later Mustang- make the Ranger brake rotors into a hub, slip on some later Mustang Cobra rotors, make a bracket for the Cobra calipers, and you've got serious stopping power with cheap parts that are available anywhere. or do it the easy way and just use the SN95 spindles and brakes..

besides- 4 lugs just look silly on anything bigger than a Geo Metro, anyways.

pres589
pres589 Dork
6/18/11 1:38 p.m.

4 lugs looking silly is about the worst reason I can think of to change to a 5 bolt hub.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
12/12/11 1:56 a.m.

My account got deleted, and when it did all of my posts in this thread disappeared. So did the video link. Here it is again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuL0U_mCpaA

Thanks.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/12/11 2:28 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Ranger50 wrote:
Javelin wrote: The Thunderbird is the best fox chassis to start with IMO. The longer control arms (Front and rear) make for better geometry, they are as stiff as the Mustang Notchback, and they have the best aero. They can also take the biggest tires, have a longer wheelbase, but are still flyweight by today's standards. _
I can agree with everything but being "flyweight" the 87-88's pictured are north of 3400# without a driver. The seats are 100# each. The bumpers a solid freaking steel. The doors are stupid heavy. Plus not to mention the active suspension and associated wiring and computers.
3400 pounds is pretty light for a rwd car that size. that's right in line with what a Camaro from that era weighs, and the Camaro is a (slightly) smaller car.

As a comparison my 86 Mustang Notch, with full interior weighed 2800lbs at the Challenge.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
11/14/13 11:31 a.m.

Finally got the Fairmont weighed. It tipped the scales at 2850 without me in it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gf3HXSQAMBOB9yRg0KyD4AwYWh3BVj1NFL2cZeDtHk37hXFKCBqA9LJPow8F34oY