Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/18/18 9:49 p.m.

Has anyone tried the Falken FK510? It looks like it might be a really good value tire.

Tire rack's tests show it as good as the Firestone Indy 500 in the dry and far superior in the wet. They classify it as a UHP tire as opposed to a "max performance" tire, but it's tread pattern and wet performance seems like it would fit in the max category. You can't compare directly between tests, but the delta between dry and wet performance is similar to the PS4s/ECS/P4Z and the absolute values are close too.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/22/18 6:58 a.m.

I'm going to post some info to see if it stimulates some responses. :)  It looks like these tires have been out in Europe for a while. 

Looking at tyrereviews.co.uk,  Evo magazine ran some tests. In 2017 On their dry course a PS4 (non-s) did a 52.4, FK510 52.9, goodyear f1 asymetric 3 53.0. Wet: PS4: 85.27, F1 a3 86.9, FK510 86.9. In 2016, I don't see the data, but in 2016 they ranked the tire poorly against some of the same tires. I don't know what to think about that. In 2018 dry: PS4S 85, G A3 86.8, FK510 37. Wet: PS4S 64.7, G A 3 64.2, FK510 65.6. Other tests seem to rank it differently, most kind of average. Autobild tests had it as best in test in the wet against the PS4S, etc. average in the dry.

I'm looking at these for a car that already has Goodyear Asymetric 3s runflats on the front. I'm guessing the new set of rears will wear out at the same time as the partially used fronts. It's for a daily driver and I'm not looking to track it (race car for that). I don't have a lot of experience with the newest generation of tires. Part of me thinks tires have become so good, I don't know if I'm really going to notice the difference on the street. The other factor is the car is a monster, do I really want to cheap out on tires? The difference in price between these and the Conti ECS is about $150 total for two.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/22/18 10:44 a.m.

Youve driven me to look at the available sizes and price. Looks like a pretty good option for a whole lot of larger sporty cars.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/12/18 10:00 p.m.

I decided to buy a rear set of those, the price was too good. The main groves in the tread covering the circumference of the tire are seriously huge. I don't think I've seen tire with such wide groves. I'll report back once I've had a chance to try them out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aub9fol1rIW4kxjrnUgsXaKvheT8KRPWzvNZ6NoHy8MOr3RByToke58BeaBglDws