1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/18/19 10:54 a.m.

Just saw some data that there's growing interest in 924/944/968 Porsches. So, a big question: Which ones interest you the most? (Personally, I've always been fascinated with the 944S.)

Go.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/18/19 11:00 a.m.

944S2 for me - as fast as the turbo without the complexity!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/18/19 11:08 a.m.

924 Carrera GT/GTS

The precursor to the 944, developed directly from racing experience, raw and comparatively lightweight.  A factory race car available to the public (well, the well off public, but I digress)

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/18/19 11:13 a.m.

924 Carrera GT is my favorite of the lot because fenders, scoops and no hideous safety bumpers.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
1/18/19 11:21 a.m.

As a 16 year old in 1988 I convinced myself that the 924S was the one. Mainly from a misguided belief that I could get it as a first car since it was "cheap".  That plan failed. 

adam525i
adam525i Reader
1/18/19 11:27 a.m.

I'm also a fan of the  944S with the 2.5L  DOHC 16V motor but without the updated turbo style front bumber. Having said that, a 986 Boxster S is what I'd actually buy at this point.

The cup cars were also pretty cool, I spotted Scott Goodyear's old ride at our local track this past summer.

Adam

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
1/18/19 11:37 a.m.

I'm very partial to the 968. They wonderfully blend the styling of the 993 and 928 into a compact package. Plus they had some really excellent 90's colors available.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
1/18/19 1:26 p.m.

I’d like to have another 944S2 Cabrio, that was a great cruising car.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
1/18/19 2:55 p.m.

I'd have to say 924S just for one reason.....It was the first Porsche I drove. It was actually the car that got me really interested in small RWD sports cars. 

I would buy a 986 all day long at that price point now though. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/18/19 3:29 p.m.

I always wanted Jake Ryan's 944.    Ah....who's fooling who.  Keep the car, I just wanted Molly Ringwald!  

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
1/18/19 4:04 p.m.

968, no question, best of the breed

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/18/19 4:06 p.m.

I love most things about the 944S2 and the 968. I've never much liked the early 944, especially in terms of exterior cosmetics. 

But of course I'm a bit partial to the 924S, seeing as it is an "early car" with a later car engine to some degree. And I'm one of the oddballs who actually likes the sleek bodywork better than 944 flares, especially with a staggered set of later 911 wheels. But having owned two of them, I may be a bit partial. 

My ultimate love would be to have a 944S2 interior and drivetrain in a 924S shell with euro bumpers :)

Related image

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/18/19 4:13 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

That's entirably doable.  I've known a couple of 924S with 968/944S2 drivetrains installed.

The later 944 dashboard is a bit harder to pull off due to the differences in the heater boxes and supporting structure, but it has been done and documented online. 

The rest of the interior more or less drops in place after that.

Euro bumpers are available from overseas for about what a set of old 911 wheels go for.

I say do it. 

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
1/18/19 4:18 p.m.

Yes.  Any of them unless equipped with an auto trans.  And with a VW 1.8t...

Sing it with me!

I've got Porsche on my mind....

*sigh*

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
1/18/19 4:52 p.m.

968 Turbo S.  Yes it is a (European) thing.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
1/18/19 4:53 p.m.
dculberson said:

944S2 for me - as fast as the turbo without the complexity!

Yep. And it has the later model refinements and the turbo front bumper.

I love everything about the 968 except the headlights. You can have my popups when you pry them from my cold, dead hands! laugh

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/18/19 5:02 p.m.

944S2.  On Phone Dials!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/18/19 5:05 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

I always wanted Jake Ryan's 944.    Ah....who's fooling who.  Keep the car, I just wanted Molly Ringwald!  

A friend of mine has a red 944. He loves when I make Sixteen Candles jokes. Which I do constantly. We've entered him on race events as the "Sixteen Candles Special Edition" and put his name as Jake Ryan on the timing sheets.

ToplesS2
ToplesS2 New Reader
1/18/19 5:13 p.m.

So smitten with the smooth power delivery and balance of the S2 cab that the honeymoon is far from over even after 6 years of ownership...

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/18/19 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Lol. Anything is doable if you have the money. I just don't have the money!

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/18/19 6:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Joe Gearin said:

A friend of mine has a red 944. He loves when I make Sixteen Candles jokes. Which I do constantly. We've entered him on race events as the "Sixteen Candles Special Edition" and put his name as Jake Ryan on the timing sheets.

Somebody in Virginia has the same custom license plate as his car has in the movie (I would imagine the person who has it has a red 944). I only know because I checked to see if it was available just for laughs. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/18/19 6:33 p.m.
irish44j said:

In reply to Stefan :

Eh, start with the interior.  Lots of 944's being scrapped that you can acquire the desired parts.

The drivetrain is certainly expensive, but keeping a sharp eye out can yield a donor.

That said, I completely understand the lack of money.  Just wanted to make sure that you knew it was not physically too difficult to do :)

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/18/19 7:43 p.m.
Stefan said:
irish44j said:

In reply to Stefan :

Eh, start with the interior.  Lots of 944's being scrapped that you can acquire the desired parts.

The drivetrain is certainly expensive, but keeping a sharp eye out can yield a donor.

That said, I completely understand the lack of money.  Just wanted to make sure that you knew it was not physically too difficult to do :)

ah yeah, no worries there. As to interior, I actually don't hate the early interior. It is much-improved with the mint 986 Boxster seats I put in it. And amazingly, every gauge, switch, and button works now. Nice carpeting, new floormats, rear seat delete and cargo storage. I actually like the interior now, other than the garbage door handles. 

I enjoy the drivetrain as-is (stock w/maxhp chip), but would surely love a 3.0 and an LSD transaxle when the money is available!

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
1/18/19 7:56 p.m.

I'm a fan of the 924S but I'd also like a 968.  After 15 years of instructing at PCA track days I finally drove a 944 turbo in November, the car was modified but I must say the low end grunt was very nice.......so maybe a 968 turbo then?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/18/19 8:04 p.m.

I have wanted an S2 for a very long time. I had a 951 and it was fun but the S2 is just better to live with every day. 

The car car I have wanted to build was to put a modern tiptronic or duel clutch trans in an S2. Ya I know at this point not a good thing to do as the S2 is getting rare. 

Oh and the cabriolet version of both the S2 and the 968 are to me one of the ugliest cars ever made. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y7auszkKA1sscgm5Kg6k43ReAmm6hHSkCaQ1L613VlT8AhKGfkXe1oH7JrXkSwfy