1 2 3 4
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/15/13 5:58 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: The Driver. I caught this on Encore a while back and it's got one of the best chase scenes I've seen:
Also the only thing to ever make me want a Malibu, ever.

Uh, no Malibu in that one. Ford LTD in the first chase, world's most hideous Trans-Am and a stepside Chevy pickup in the last one. Try spotting the two different trucks they used by the transmissions (one's a stick, one isn't). I just re-watched this last week.

Also, don't forget the internet movie car database to find some unusual gems, or confirm what car is in what movie.

I'll also add "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" as one of the great car movies of all time. Littered with American classics from around 1960, the stunt driving in those old behemoths is pretty amazing. Funny movie, too.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
5/15/13 7:00 a.m.

Maybe I'd add Hooper? I remember plenty of car chase and crashes, especially the epic run through the blowing-up town at the end in the rocket-powered car.

One thing that struck me watching Gumball Rally was the planned out real live car crashes. Choreographed and perfectly set up. All real, no CGI crap. I miss that.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
5/15/13 7:20 a.m.

Not a car movie per se, but we recently rented "The Sure Thing"- it's got a very young John Cusak in a cross-country dash to meet the girl of his dreams. Some cool cars cameo, including a Volvo Amazon driven by Tim Robbins.

No one mentioned "Christine"?

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
5/15/13 8:13 a.m.

I'm proud of the GRM crew-no mention of those incredibly bad Fast & Furious trainwrecks.

Back on topic:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/dsc1210s.jpg/][/URL]

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/15/13 8:15 a.m.

In reply to forzav12:

You're very welcome.

Mustang50
Mustang50 New Reader
5/15/13 9:01 a.m.

Viva Las Vegas

You get a lot of great old sports cars, and a young Ann-Margret!!

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/15/13 9:26 a.m.

Started watching Tucker: The Man and His Dream last night. Kinda car related and on Netflix streaming.

-Rob

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/15/13 9:58 a.m.

Ronin for the bad ass chase scenes.

t25torx
t25torx New Reader
5/15/13 11:02 a.m.
Mustang50 wrote: Viva Las Vegas You get a lot of great old sports cars, and a young Ann-Margret!!

While it's not car racing, Clam Bake has some cool V8 jet boat racing in it and a young Shelley Fabares.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
5/15/13 11:09 a.m.

Used Cars

the Seven Ups

Macon County Line

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
5/15/13 11:14 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: I'm proud of the GRM crew-no mention of those incredibly bad Fast & Furious trainwrecks. Back on topic: [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/dsc1210s.jpg/][/URL]

Like a drug habit.....everyone knows, but we're all too ashamed to admit that I watch those films.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
5/15/13 11:43 a.m.

The Herbie movies, again lots of cool old sports cars.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
5/15/13 1:42 p.m.

If you're ok with some anime, try Gunsmith cats, Riding Bean and eX-Driver.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/15/13 1:47 p.m.
ddavidv wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: The Driver. I caught this on Encore a while back and it's got one of the best chase scenes I've seen:
Also the only thing to ever make me want a Malibu, ever.
Uh, no Malibu in that one. Ford LTD in the first chase, world's most hideous Trans-Am and a stepside Chevy pickup in the last one. Try spotting the two different trucks they used by the transmissions (one's a stick, one isn't). I just re-watched this last week. Also, don't forget the internet movie car database to find some unusual gems, or confirm what car is in what movie. I'll also add "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" as one of the great car movies of all time. Littered with American classics from around 1960, the stunt driving in those old behemoths is pretty amazing. Funny movie, too.

Sorry, got confused with "Drive."

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
5/15/13 2:02 p.m.

Then came Bronson. Hells angels 69

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
5/15/13 2:06 p.m.

Ronin, LeMans, Vertigo/The Birds (lots of cool cars in the background)

Pretty much any James Bond movie.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
5/15/13 2:47 p.m.

Follow that car. Dirk Benedict running shine in a 1979 Trans Am. Car may have been new at the time.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
5/15/13 2:55 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: If you're ok with some anime, try Gunsmith cats, Riding Bean and eX-Driver.

And Initial D.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
5/15/13 4:55 p.m.

Got me all excited that Gunsmith cats and eX-driver were on netflix.
They're not.
Boo!

Disclaimer: If it's not streaming netflix, it's not 'on netflix'

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
5/15/13 7:57 p.m.

Highwaymen.

The sound of that '68 Barracuda Super Stock is TEH SEKZ!!!

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
5/15/13 8:03 p.m.

Fandango is a pretty neat car movie. There are a couple of good drive-in scenes which show some good muscle-era stuff. Its all about a road trip with some college guys - some of whom are dodging the draft.

Two-lane blacktop

XXX with Vin Diesel. Its a really cheezy movie, but it has a pretty sick GTO

Did anyone mention Dazed and Confused? It has some really cool stuff... until it shows a 70's Chevy pickup with an 88-92 steering wheel.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/15/13 8:18 p.m.

You should probably watch Corvette Summer, if for no other reason than to help you reset your reference point for how bad a movie can possibly be.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/15/13 8:19 p.m.

Aloha Bobby and Rose - it starred Paul LeMat, it was his first film after American Graffiti. It's kind of goofy in the way most 1970s movies were but still worth a look.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/16/13 3:46 a.m.

what everyone else has already said, also:

Hollywood Knights

Death proof

The Car

probly not on netflix but still noteworthy car flicks

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
5/16/13 5:18 a.m.

Didn't see Dukes of Hazard movie, any cars in there?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
95YP94nQSeyL1rzQIdSbTxjkjoBvpmtkosO6X15fg5RDYoDFxDeZPPLbLcvbZocw