1 2 3 4 5
Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/16/13 7:24 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

I tried Initial D. I could not get past the crappy dialogue. The movie with real actors was pretty good.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/19/13 2:22 p.m.

Reviving this to say that Netflix rocks! Yesterday I saw Truth in 24 II: Every Second Counts. Right now I am watching Red Bull Return to Millen Mountain

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/19/13 2:23 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to MadScientistMatt: I tried Initial D. I could not get past the crappy dialogue. The movie with real actors was pretty good.

Same. And the anime fans will think you and I are uncultured louts for saying it.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
5/19/13 3:16 p.m.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Hire series from BMW is worth watching again. Not on Netflix, but I'm sure could be easily found on the internet somewhere.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
5/19/13 3:23 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to MadScientistMatt: I tried Initial D. I could not get past the crappy dialogue. The movie with real actors was pretty good.

It is much better in Japanese with subtitles.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
5/19/13 8:14 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: And Initial D.

You know, that actually was pretty good, clearly written by someone who knew cars. Of course they were completely confused, thinking that going sideways was somehow faster than going straight... but still well worth watching.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
5/19/13 8:17 p.m.
Woody wrote: You should probably watch *Corvette Summer*, if for no other reason than to help you reset your reference point for how bad a movie can possibly be.

No, as someone else amazingly listed here, "King of the Mountain" was my all-time worst movie I've ever seen. Ever. And it had a Corvette in it as I recall, but it wasn't near enough to save that rolling disaster of a "film." The most amazing part of it is that apparently, some guy with green plaid pants, a white belt, and a cigar must have said of the script, "I like it! Let's do it."

Ugh.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
5/19/13 8:34 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
It is much better in Japanese with subtitles.

This.
I'm hard pressed to think of an example where dubs beat subs.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
5/19/13 8:56 p.m.

I can't remember the exact title, but there's a video of the inside doings of Caterham as they discussed the design of their new model. The video is probably five years old by now, but it's very very interesting to be a fly on the wall of these meeting.

My favorite line was the President of Caterham being asked, "So you think the new Lotus Elise is ugly?" To which he replied, "yes I do."

ugh...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/19/13 8:57 p.m.

I would like to nominate Iron Sky. Nothing to do with cars, but it does have space Nazis on the dark side of the moon. I mean, seriously, what else do you need?

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/19/13 9:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I would like to nominate Iron Sky. Nothing to do with cars, but it does have space Nazis on the dark side of the moon. I mean, seriously, what else do you need?

Good stuff. Very silly. I'd put it on the same level as Troll Hunter.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/19/13 9:19 p.m.

Weird... I just got Iron Sky in the mail from Blockbuster!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/19/13 9:51 p.m.

If you like street rods, and old black and white 1950s films
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Hot_Rod_Gang/70147224

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
5/20/13 2:09 a.m.

the Transformers movies have a lot of cars in them...

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/20/13 7:10 a.m.

We just watched CannonBall Run last night. She actually liked it. CBR 2 coming up next .

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
5/20/13 8:22 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

The General Lee of course, and the Duke Boys drift it 360-degrees around a traffic circle. (And by Duke Boys, I mean Steve Millen) Pretty cool shot. And then there is pre-baby Jessica Simpson.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/20/13 8:41 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Agreed. I watched both of those thanks to Netflix Instant and the Roku box.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/21/13 2:09 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: I would like to nominate Iron Sky. Nothing to do with cars, but it does have space Nazis on the dark side of the moon. I mean, seriously, what else do you need?

Iron Sky was awesome. And I'm NOT the only person to see Troll Hunter? "TROOOOOOOOOLLL!"

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
5/21/13 2:36 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Iron Sky was awesome. And I'm NOT the only person to see Troll Hunter? "TROOOOOOOOOLLL!"

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
5/21/13 3:43 p.m.

Troll Hunter was actually pretty good... because it wasn't made by Hollywood.

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
5/21/13 3:55 p.m.

Troll Hunter does prominently feature a Defender, too.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
5/21/13 4:01 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Truth in 24

is still available on streaming......I just watched Bonneville Boys last night, great documentary following Ab Jenkins and the story of the revival of the Mormon Meteor III.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/26/13 8:40 p.m.

I just watched Racing Dreams (kids in carting, trying to go pro in nascar). Currently in the intro credits of Redline 7000 (vintage nascar)

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
5/26/13 9:13 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Got me thinking, what other epic car movies are out there I need to see, or see again? Bulitt comes to mind at least for the car chase. Gone in 60 seconds?

Yes. To paraphrase Maddox's review of the 2005 "Dawn of the Dead", the genius of the director is that the first 45 minutes of plot-building is there so you have time to adjust your face before it's rocked off.

I usually only watch the last half of the movie.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
5/26/13 9:23 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Ronin for the bad ass chase scenes.

It's really a badass movie all around. It's fun to watch the motley crew of masterless ("Ronin") intelligence agents playing against each other. It's too bad we never learn what the color of the boathouse at HEER-ford was.

The car chases ARE good even if you can tell that they used three or so different Citroens and S8s, with obvious cuts. And tire spray from the camera vehicle. Sometimes a little imperfection adds to the flavor, you know? (The fake tire smoke from the 450SEL was annoying, though)

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9VsngZ0my0ZqcamM8DnXxZFtNLyN1jjshRm3hMhUqsmFhqsf5p54Xs9vduWDW9BE