3 4 5
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/26/17 9:46 a.m.

It's not really a car movie, but the parts in The Intouchables where Philippe and Driss hauled ass through Paris in a Quattroporte really take your breath away.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/26/17 12:17 p.m.

I haven't read all of the thread, so forgive me if I go over old ground.

First, there are two kinds if car related films. The first appeals to the sort that likes to watch tires squealing until they burst and are happy to sit through what passes as a plot in clinkers like Smokey and the Bandit any number of times. Presumably they'd be in a minority here.

The car aficionados usually want some good car footage. Senna, Grand Prix, The Making of Grnd Prix, Le Mans and all of the Alan De Cadenet Victory By Design films on marques (take a look at http://petrolicious.com/9-videos-that-prove-alain-de-cadenet-is-the-luckiest-man-alive and if you don't like it, back to the tractor pull for you!).

Ronin is also worth watching, and I suppose some of the Transporter series with Jason Statham, and the Italian Job, Vanishing Point, Two-Lane Blacktop (if only to see James Taylor with hair) and of course Bullitt.

I'm afraid that the Fast and Furious movies fail to hold my attention for very long, but there are many that are worse and I can understand why a car fan would ant to watch them.

I'll pass on Cannonball Run and Love Bug sorts of films, and I managed 5 minutes of the remake of Mad Max (Fury Road) before turning it off (we were using it to assess bass performance when setting up my home theatre, and it was at least useful for that).

If you get the Hire series with Clive Owen, they are not just BMW ads, they are worth watching.

And of course one of the great short films, Lelouch's Rendezvous, which I saw in a theatre when it came out and hoped it would be released ever since, until they finally did in 2003. I intend to play that again tonight on the big screen, although I don't necessarily agree with Jeremy Clarkson who said it made Bullitt look like a cartoon....

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
2/26/17 2:23 p.m.

Has anyone said Rush?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
2/26/17 10:42 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: I'm currently watching PBS's documentary about Horatio Nelson Jackson driving across the continent in a 1903 Winton touring car http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Horatio_s_Drive_America_s_First_Road_Trip/60030216?trkid=496624 http://www.pbs.org/horatio/ BTW, Bud the dog was his co-pilot http://www.pbs.org/horatio/car/image03.html
Jackson and Crocker purchased an acetylene headlamp for night driving, after realizing that the Winton's oil-powered side lanterns were "useless to illuminate the road." The front of the car also proved a convenient spot to attach a spare tire.

I have nothing to add but would like to point out my avatar

No I have never heard of this guy or his dog, just like the picture. Carry on.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/27/17 7:47 a.m.

John Wick is fairly car-centered. I mean, the guy literally goes out and kills the entire Russian mob because they stole his 1969 Mustang Mach 1 (and killed his dog) and there are some great driving scenes.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
2/27/17 10:32 a.m.

wild scot hit it after 4 pages, sorry you kids don't really know how life really was. the cars of the Mountain Moonshine Haulers were fast for the day and Today they would make most of ya'll Pee on yourselves, they were Very heavy and EVIL Handeling and back then Most roads up in here Were Dirt. As far as Acting goes Mitchum was and is one of the BEST and it WAS in the 50's, Black and white I think, so for the year cars and Film combined it is one of the best. THUNDER ROAD to the Front!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
2/27/17 10:47 a.m.

Semi-contrarian recommendation here: Car Wash. There is a good selection of (really clean, of course) vintage American iron to reminisce nostalgically about. The green Buick estate wagon with clamshell tailgate is a high point.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/27/17 2:45 p.m.

John Wick does have a couple of interesting 1960s cars, but also a mortality rate only slightly less than a small war. Best estimate I saw was 84 people killed because someone killed his dog.

Not so much a car centred movie....

keethrax
keethrax Dork
2/27/17 7:33 p.m.

The French Connection is on available Netflix, but DVD and not streaming. Hard to really call it a car movie, but a good flick and a car fan won't be disappointed.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
2/27/17 8:42 p.m.
EvanB wrote: World's Fastest Indian

"Mister, is that a rocket ship?"

"I hope so."

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/5/17 6:45 a.m.

Maybe not movies, but Netflix recently added a bunch of car-stuff: season 2 of Roadkill and Head2Head, Hot Rod Unlimited, Dirt Everyday (offroad stuff), and Ignition (from Motortrend).

I killed off a cold yesterday afternoon with season 2 of Roadkill. I love the dog.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/5/17 7:48 a.m.
Jerry wrote: Maybe not movies, but Netflix recently added a bunch of car-stuff: season 2 of Roadkill and Head2Head, Hot Rod Unlimited, Dirt Everyday (offroad stuff), and Ignition (from Motortrend). I killed off a cold yesterday afternoon with season 2 of Roadkill. I love the dog.

RIP Dog.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/5/17 10:02 a.m.

My god! 5 pages of this and no one ever mentioned Jackie Chan's Thunderbolt?!?!?!? C'mon guys! That movie is awesome AND mostly about GT series racing!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
3/5/17 11:35 a.m.

Shameless self-promoting plugs:

John wick 2 - all of the driving was in the first 10 minutes but it's been getting good reviews and the jump drift/flying drift is the coolest shot I've done on film to date.

The last stand - pretty entertaining as a popcorn eater. We did a lot of cool stuff with the vettes and a lot didn't make the movie

The town and Jack Reacher have great sequences. I didn't work on them but they're good.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
3/5/17 7:14 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry:

Sounds like there is a really good story behind that post. "Hi everyone. I do something awesome for a living but I'm very modest about it." Rock on, stunt driver, rock on.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/6/17 1:13 a.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: In reply to jfryjfry: Sounds like there is a really good story behind that post. "Hi everyone. I do something awesome for a living but I'm very modest about it." Rock on, stunt driver, rock on.

Ya, do tell! Don't be that humble guy in the corner! Let us live vicariously though you!

daeman
daeman Dork
3/6/17 2:47 a.m.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, death proof. Its tarantino, its got a few cool cars, some great looking girls and a great soundtrack. Oh, and its got Kurt Russell.

Also, love the beast isn't a bad watch. Its about Eric Bana and his first car, an Xb falcon coupe. He's had it since his teens, built it up over years and then wrote it off doing the Targa Tasmania only to start rebuilding it again. Its got Clarkson and Leno in it, it's more a doco than a movie.

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell New Reader
2/13/21 6:04 a.m.
LanEvo said:
NickD wrote: Tried watching Initial D. HATED IT.

I spent 2 years in Japan during high school, so I got really into Initial D. It really captures (at least one aspect of) Japanese car culture. We were based in Hiroshima, but I also spent a lot of time in Osaka and Kobe, where people were crazy about cars.

The Initial D animated series is much, much more enjoyable in Japanese. More than cars, there's a whole lot in the series that gets into class issues, gender conflicts, family dynamics, social responsibilities, and other elements that feel very familiar to someone who is from that part of the world. I'm not sure a lot of that stuff gets through (or makes any sense) unless you know a lot about life in "the East."

I very much enjoy watching non-English movies just for car stuff.

One of the most elusive titles I've been wanting to see is Hairpin Circus. 

http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/hairpin-circus/

Someone finally uploaded the entire film.

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
2/13/21 8:39 a.m.

Ronin has some of the best car chase scenes.  After Bullitt of course...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
2/13/21 10:05 a.m.

California Kid......

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/13/21 10:05 a.m.
Trackmouse said:

My god! 5 pages of this and no one ever mentioned Jackie Chan's Thunderbolt?!?!?!? C'mon guys! That movie is awesome AND mostly about GT series racing!

Came here to say this. Jdm a/f!!!

j_tso
j_tso Reader
2/13/21 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Oldboy Speedwell :

Oh sweetness, I've been looking for that for ages as well!

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell New Reader
2/13/21 4:21 p.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to Oldboy Speedwell :

Oh sweetness, I've been looking for that for ages as well!

Somewhat similar, but much much more cheezy,

Circuit Wolf...

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5keytSNGcAO7isgRwSmP5cGZ1dE83lboar3cGzkOlTXvmR6ZfDDRMOgomCXm8zTd