1 2 3
mpolans
mpolans New Reader
11/29/10 12:07 p.m.

Hello. Doing some basic market research. Assuming you were able to purchase a 1989-2002 (R32, R33, and/or R34) Skyline GT-R that was legally imported and fully modified to comply with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and other regulations (i.e., not a gray market import with a state title that still might be subject seizure and crushed by the feds), would you be interested in purchasing one? If so, what model would you prefer?
What price range for your preferred model would you be willing to pay?
If your preferred model were available and was within your price range, how soon would you be willing to buy? What factors might affect your decision to buy or not to buy?

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
11/29/10 12:10 p.m.

Hrrmmmm...not as spambot-ish as usual? canoe? ...inquiring minds want to know!

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/29/10 12:58 p.m.

Obviously a canoe, but a tricksy one at that. Considering I already know all the rules to importing a car legally, and pretty much know that no one is going to go through that hassle- I'd be curious as to how this guy works.

So to answer your question mpolans- my budget is unlimited, I'd like an r34 z-tune please, and I am ready to go yesterday.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
11/29/10 1:02 p.m.

I don't want any. I don't see the attraction to Skylines.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/29/10 1:03 p.m.

I'm not sure its a canoe. He's been here 2 years, and has 25 other non-canoe type posts.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
11/29/10 1:09 p.m.

LOL

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/29/10 1:22 p.m.

Sounds more like market research. Nothing wrong with that, it's a good crowd to ask.

A coworker had a legal R32. Never did anything for me, so I opt out.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/29/10 1:29 p.m.

I would take an R32, though I would actually prefer a GT-S T sedan over the GT-R.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/29/10 1:32 p.m.

Yeah, he passes the Canoe test. I'm sure if/when they actually became available, he'd advertise the fact in our favorite magazines and/or website.

I'd like an R32 GT-R or GTS-T, but a domestically available Subaru STi makes more sense unless you've gotta have the JDM-ness of the Skyline. R33s have always looked fat to me, R34s look gorgeous but I can't imagine them making more financial sense than other options. (C5 Z06 is as much car, but probably cheaper and definitely easier to maintain.)

failboat
failboat Reader
11/29/10 1:47 p.m.

R33's do look fat until you put them next to an R32. I have seen a few photos in which they actually look smaller.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
11/29/10 1:56 p.m.

And here I thought this was about that nasty and gross Skyline "chili"...

Oh, it's the other Skyline... Same opinion, nasty and gross.

Brian

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/29/10 1:58 p.m.

I'd be interested. Very. I just never wanted to get killed by Motorex gangsters.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
11/29/10 1:59 p.m.

I've owned an R32 GTS-T in the past - they're pretty decent cars but they really need to be modified to reach anyhwere near their proper potential. And no, I wouldn't really spend the money on a correctly federalized GT-R, neat cars though they are.

EDIT: Part of this is because I assume that proper federalization would cost still in the same ballpark or more as the 'improper' one and IMHO they're not really worth that sort of money.

Pumpkin Escobar
11/29/10 2:00 p.m.

Hey Ranger - your opinion is wrong. Skyline Chili is the bombshizznizzle. Please take your opinion off of my internets.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
11/29/10 2:22 p.m.
Pumpkin Escobar wrote: Hey Ranger - your opinion is wrong. Skyline Chili is the bombshizznizzle. Please take your opinion off of my internets.

Wrong? Hardly. Cinnamon belongs in applesauce, not chili. But you are right on the bombshizznizzle....straight to projectile vomiting.

Now if we were talking about some delicious Glier's Goetta....... Yummy.

Brian

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
11/29/10 2:31 p.m.

I hated the new GT-R until I got to take a ride in one at the last autox! I've always likes the R32-34 from the Gran Turismo 1&2 days when the game was actually good as well. With that said, if I could get an R32 for the price of a new Si imported then I'd consider it. Otherwise I'd just go buy a used C5 or C6 Vette for the same price.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/29/10 3:04 p.m.

I'd certainly be interested, more in a R34 than an R32, and much more either of those than an R33, but it'd have to be a competitive price to functionally similar cars, and I just don't see that happening once the costs of importing the cars are included.

Pumpkin Escobar
11/29/10 3:11 p.m.

youre from KY, what do you know. Shouldnt you be out hunting your dinner?

I keed I keed

...or do I?

kb58
kb58 Reader
11/29/10 3:33 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I hated the new GT-R until I got to take a ride in one at the last autox! I've always likes the R32-34 from the Gran Turismo 1&2 days when the game was actually good as well. With that said, if I could get an R32 for the price of a new Si imported then I'd consider it. Otherwise I'd just go buy a used C5 or C6 Vette for the same price.

I got a ride in a coworker's car... giggled like a school girl all the way back from lunch.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
11/29/10 3:47 p.m.

I'd love one as a novelty. If the price were semi-reasonable and there was no (and I mean NO) legal worries, it'd be an idea worth entertaining. I think a lot of the automotive community would feel the same.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/29/10 4:21 p.m.

It is fun watching the local R32 at our track days. I think it actually propels itself down the straights from the suction of the air going into the turbo.

But it usually gets its clock cleaned by a Miata.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
11/29/10 4:27 p.m.
unevolved wrote: I'd love one as a novelty. If the price were semi-reasonable and there was no (and I mean NO) legal worries, it'd be an idea worth entertaining. I think a lot of the automotive community would feel the same.

This.

I'd love an R32 GTR, but I'm not going to pay $10K more for it than a new (warranty'ed) STi.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
11/29/10 4:38 p.m.
Matt B wrote: This. I'd love an R32 GTR, but I'm not going to pay $10K more for it than a new (warranty'ed) STi.

Meh, I see them quite often for significantly cheaper than STI's

And trust me, there is a big reason to run a Skyrine GTR over an STi. MASSIVE TIRES and a stock motor that handles TONS of powa. Its a bit of a life changing experience to see how fast a well built (but stock motored) GTR scoots. And it does sound like the world is going to end, what with the prodigious amounts of air it consumes (wooooooooooooosh) and compressor surge between shifts. I'd own one, simply for the price:performance ratio over an STi (for pavement stuff anyways). Who cares if it is rhd?

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/29/10 4:41 p.m.

I'd take an R33 because it has all the fast parts in the R34, but it isn't completely stupid popular, so that should make it not stupid overpriced, right? I have no idea how much these things go for. $10k? $50k?

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/29/10 5:15 p.m.

If someone said I could have an R32 GT-S or GTR for, say, $15k with all the paperwork I need handled vs. a new STi for ~$30k I would go R32 any day of the week, twice on Sunday. To me the R32 is an all around cool car and the STi is a lifestyle enhancement for people that just moved to Colorado. Having just left Colorado...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3v8ejiso3RAHXeoIk6rrJsK7uH9lCpx4nAGoPzJqHYs7jOIY9jsxupn6CYgfEo9A