1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/23/13 9:40 p.m.

the Volumex was a beast. Lampredi, who designed the Fiat TC, advocated the Supercharger over the turbo. He prefered it's linear powerband

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
8/23/13 9:59 p.m.

This thread makes me want another Fiat.

I'm pretty sure I know what SWMBO will say to a third and ultimately broken Fiat...

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/24/13 6:25 a.m.

Friend of mine in the club who lives in Canada imported one. It's mouth-wateringly gorgeous.

splitime
splitime Reader
8/27/13 11:14 a.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: This thread makes me want another Fiat. I'm pretty sure I know what SWMBO will say to a third and ultimately broken Fiat...

That sounds like a good reason to keep this thread going... more cars are always the answer (says the guy still figuring out where to fit stuff this winter).

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
8/27/13 4:56 p.m.

I can't add much to what is already been said, except to say these are much unappreciated cars. I've generally owned X's and a 600, but would own a 124 in heartbeat. I still have an original showroom 124 Spider poster framed and hanging in my garage.

My sister had one when she was in HS so I spent a lot time driving it. When she went off to college, my mom bought her a then new K car, and as it turned out, the Fiat was more reliable. My sister still doesn't let her forget it.

Anyway, as already said, almost all electrical issues can be traced back to bad grounds. Keeping them clean will solve those. And most anything can be done at home by a decent guy (or girl) with hand tools and a good manual. The calipers on a Fiat are not all that complicated either. The way they slide needs to be kept clean and it's not very high tech, but if you do, they don't give much trouble either. Personally, I like the later injected cars the best, but any are or can be made to perform pretty well.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/27/13 5:51 p.m.

Calipers have issues with warping. If you clean them up and get them working smoothly and in a couple of weeks/months you start getting a pull that goes away when you hit the brake.. the calipers are warped and need to be replaced.

I have decided to keep my spider. I will get my Turbo Saab all buttoned up and sold this spring and sink that money and the money I get from selling my Grandmother's Malibu into getting my spider 100% and on the road

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
1/30/19 4:04 a.m.

zombie canoe deleted

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lZmqRzh9xss82pCfG2HMijRom6zjKnmn6B6HJzm9W8tNU2mpFmEmOlYC0RxBAhCd