1 2 3 4
Knurled
Knurled Dork
2/6/12 12:20 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: It's a shop that has been building completed ones with K20A2s. Ship your X to them and Bob's your uncle. Not sure how far the kit has come.

If it's the same company I'm thinking of, I can ask how the kit is coming along, I'm friends with their fabricator.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/6/12 1:02 p.m.

Yesterday's new Top Gear called the X1/9 a "mechanical version of Vajazzling".

Heheheheheeee! Win for the 914!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/6/12 2:18 p.m.

I thought top gear was not back till next week?

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/6/12 3:15 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I thought top gear was not back till next week?

That's US. TG UK started 2 weeks ago. Last night was episode #2, Season 18.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
2/6/12 6:17 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Hasbro wrote: It's a shop that has been building completed ones with K20A2s. Ship your X to them and Bob's your uncle. Not sure how far the kit has come.
If it's the same company I'm thinking of, I can ask how the kit is coming along, I'm friends with their fabricator.

Probably the same. Does his first name begin with M and end in att? If I did the kit I'd use a K24 and redo the harness.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
2/6/12 6:22 p.m.

I'm surprised to see all this Fiat love. I always thought that the X19 was a cool looker, but it's so rare to see one in fighting trim. You guys have me wondering.....

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/7/12 7:40 p.m.

WINNER X1/9

2 for 2 can it beat it's next contender?

parting shot

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/7/12 9:39 p.m.

In reply to kreb:

Drive a good one and you'll be hooked. I've driven both; my Dad's new '74 exxie and a friend's slightly used 1.8 914.

Both are great handlers but the Porsche loses on styling, engineering and most of all - sounds. Fiat's 1.3 sohc engine is an enthusiastic screamer. Pretty darn reliable, too.

Honestly, I thoughtmy '74 128SL was more fun than the 914.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
2/8/12 2:53 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: The Porsche is just a mid engine Volkswagen. It pretends (and most of it's owners) that it is something much more. It isn't. The exhaust note will belie the ugly truth. Don't be a poseur; drive a Fiat.

That's some pretty intense snobbery. I love 914's, I don't get the hate. If I didnt have my '71 911e project sitting in the back waiting for me to get some free time and money I would be looking for a good 2.0 914 to drive. With a little power they are incredible, I finished up a carrera 3.2 swap for a guy and that thing was a blast. So a if a 914 is a "poseur" then what is a 924/924? at least the 914 has the appropriate method of cooling and was offered with a 911 motor. (i'm joking about the 924/944 of course I dont want to spark a whole seperate debate)

Grantsfo
Grantsfo
2/8/12 5:33 p.m.

Id say niether. I'll take one of these please.

http://www.precisionchassisworks.com/boxstersubaru-engine-conversion.html

vwcorvette
vwcorvette HalfDork
2/8/12 8:35 p.m.

Canoe. No book reviews for X1/9?

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
2/26/20 10:01 a.m.

I was having this debate with myself last night and decided to google it. Sure enough it’s been discussed here. Any new thoughts?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/26/20 10:07 a.m.

Holy ancient thread revival. Franky, I see either of these cars on the road maybe once a year--I'd say that investing in either one is a win.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
2/26/20 10:33 a.m.
Stampie said:

I was having this debate with myself last night and decided to google it. Sure enough it’s been discussed here. Any new thoughts?

Given 914 prices since 2012, the Fiat is probably a better buy today.  And if a K series fits in the Fiat.....  wow.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
2/26/20 10:48 a.m.

I've been wanting a cheap 914 to drop a flat 6 into. 

Neither is really "cheap" I guess 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/26/20 11:24 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

Is $1500 cheap enough?   Although yeah, this is not a great example..

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/seaside-1970-porsche-914-runs/7074646925.html

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/26/20 11:27 a.m.

Pretty rare cars to see around these days (non-AC cars are a hard sell to most).

Certainly fun bodies for powertrain / suspension swaps.  E.g. Boxter / Caymen into 914? or FWD powertrain into either.

Maybe good for (short range) electric conversions?

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
2/26/20 11:42 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

In reply to spandak :

Is $1500 cheap enough?   Although yeah, this is not a great example..

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/seaside-1970-porsche-914-runs/7074646925.html

That guy's been selling yard find 914's for a while. I've been tempted but have too many non-running cars on my driveway right now...

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/26/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Indeed, and since they haven't sold, probably in even worse shape that pics show, and for this car anyway, the pics are good.

I have a 74 that is missing almost everything...so have been looking, but rusted parts doesn't help me much!

dherr
dherr HalfDork
2/26/20 1:19 p.m.

I go back to the first page of comments and the question raised of why not include the other two mid-engine cars from the same era (or close),so include the MK1 MR2 and Fiero. Personally I would rule out the Fiero for several reasons, but the first gen MR2 is a more modern version of the same concept.

I'll be starting a build thread on the MK1 MR2 I purchased over the winter along with the 1MZ-FE aluminum V6 that will be replacing the original 4 cylinder. After researching k-swaps for X1/9's and MR2's, I discovered that the Camry/Avalon/Solara V6's are basically a bolt-in for the MR2 and provide 200+ HP and  200+ torque for cheap and reliable power. Much cheaper swap than anything I have seen for the X1/9 or MR2 and we all know how expensive a 6 cylinder Porsche engine is for the 914!

I do love the X1/9, and respect the 914, but getting a (slightly) newer generation car with no rust won out on having to restore a 45 year rust bucket.

kbabcock
kbabcock New Reader
12/28/21 4:26 p.m.

Read through this whole thread and have 2 cents I'd like to contribute. First off I have not seen either of these cars on the road where I live (Chicago) for the last 20 years, so you will get looks with either car. That being said the 914 is an interesting looking car but by no means a beautiful car, the X1/9 is a beautiful car.  Here are other important points to remember.

1) The 914 was only in production for 7 years with around 118K copies made, the haevy rusting of that era there are not many left on the road. This means parts are harder to find and more expensive.

2) The X1/9 was in production for 17 years with 160K so more cars where made with better rust proofing in later years. This means more cars and replacement parts for the X1/9.

3) In competitions the X1/9 dominates the 914 so which is ultimately the better performance car is settled.

4) In stock form I have not driven the 914 so I can not comment but do know the X1/9 is a blast to drive with go cart feel. Its engine also sound far better based on the sound I have heard from the X1/9 and sounds I have heard from VW opposed 4 engines.

5) The engine in the X is eraser to work on based on speaking to people who have owned both cars.

6) The X1/9 has a conversion kit for a VTECH engine, this engines weigh 8 lbs more then the stock engine so putting one in does not change the handling and breaking dynamics of the car but gives you an engine that is 200 to 240 hp for half the cost of a 914-6 which has considerably more weight added to the rear with the 6 cylinder engine. The X with the Vtech will do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

As to other cars of this type like the MR2 and Fiero, well I have owned both and the MR2 is much more rust proof and reliable but was designed almost 20 later then the X. The X is for its 17 year run was only improved but is basically te same car that came out in 1974. So yes the MR2 is going to be far easier to deal with but is also a rather ugly car and more common then the other two.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
12/28/21 5:10 p.m.

Canoe or not I have something to add.

My Fiat friend brought his tiny trailer up to pick up my 914 when it fell into my lap.

Either is a win.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/28/21 5:12 p.m.

In reply to kbabcock :

I'm also in the Chicago area and I do (currently) have a road worthy x1/9.

However, here's my new project if you'd like to follow along or even come out and help wrench sometime.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/red-national-champ-x19-autocrosser-gets-another-shot/185311/page1/

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/28/21 5:56 p.m.

I see a lot more 914s out there than I see X 1/9s. I think most Fiats of that vintage have rusted away by now. They used to be everywhere. I also remember the 850 Spyder which seems to be even harder to find today.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
12/28/21 6:24 p.m.

I daily X1/9s for a couple o years ~10 years ago.

Absolutely wonderful cars, excellent daily drivers, except for lack of air conditioning.

A Honda swap with a Vintage Air AC setup and it would be about the perfect car.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Eet2tw1hHFNdiEfRZUhhfRhXF7WNHRaWrLw9I7GQonlJIMvvqx8V0hA9MO3AM2u