MrChaos
MrChaos New Reader
2/14/14 9:20 p.m.

Considering both for my next dd. There is prob a $5k price difference between the 2. I could prob find the 1.0 easier than a ST spec'd how I want( silver and only the recaros or not depending on a test drive). My commute is about 60 miles a day and my car gets maybe 25mpg so either would be an upgrade. Pumaspeed out of the UK has a 1.0 that makes 167 hp and 200 ftlbs. so performance is there.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
2/15/14 3:34 a.m.

Keep in mind that on a warrantied ultra-safe tune mountune has the ST at 215hp to give you an idea on how much further you could go likely with a dyno tune.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist New Reader
2/15/14 6:16 a.m.

Sounds like if it is just for better fuel economy for commuting purposes then the 1.0 liter is the way to go. No sense paying for a fair amount of the ST difference for commuting and the ride should be better to boot. Cheaper initial cost as well as maintenance,insurance and fuel.

However if you plan to autocross,track or enjoy the car more near the limits on a deserted winding road the ST does have ESC that can be turned off and even the lower(still on) settings are pretty good for allowing fun. It has 4 wheel disc brakes, 6 speed (not sure if 1.0liter offers the 6 speed)better tires and a very good factory sport suspension. Resale value will be higher and the motor will be less stressed for equal or similar power levels. I bet when equally equipped the difference is not as significant as it first appears.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
2/15/14 9:43 a.m.

No comparison really . Two different animals. Depends on what you are looking for.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
2/15/14 12:46 p.m.

Buying the 1.0 will feel like a good choice, until you pull up to a light next to an ST.... "if only I'd spent a few dollars more" you'll curse under your breath.

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
2/15/14 10:21 p.m.

I'm also trying hard to WILL myself into buying a basic high gas mileage DD and I sat in the regular Fiesta at the Detroit Autoshow and I just don't think I could do it. The subpar looking interior and crappy plastic hubcaps made me decide that I'd look like a complete dork driving it. An ST would be a marked improvement, but if it's fun to drive, well then it becomes another toy to mess with. I bought my 84 GTI because I wanted a dedicated project car and I could get a boring but reliable DD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ODSGDOM2mZv3zonN25uo477blZO5K9pXoR4mk2QmsLvrAvemyFXa9W5U9YMFWsOx