1 2 3
Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 10:08 a.m.

Got an 05 Legacy GT wagon, 5 speed.  133k on car, 15k on engine.

Any of you with first hand experience I'd love your comments, criticism, problems, praises etc.

It seems like hard accel makes it harder to get into gear, motor or trans mounts?  Also the first half to full second on hard accel it feels like a delay between the pedal and throttle response. I've heard about this being a programming thing on other cars, is that what I have or something else? Fix?  Will take a bunch  of pics today and add them

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 10:14 a.m.

Congrats!

Last Subi wagon for me was a 01 outback. Headgasket galore. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/9/20 11:05 a.m.

Nice looking wagon, fresh engine is always a good thing.

05 was the first year of drive by wire in the Legacy/Outback and that is likely your delay. If you want to dig into those sorts of things these ECU's have all been cracked using ECUflash/Romraider so you are just a Tactrix  Openport 2.0 cable away from making changes.

I think you are probably right on motor/trans mounts for the shifter but the shifter bushings might also need a refresh or tightening. My 07 Legacy 2.5 is generally good through the gears but going into fifth isn't always as smooth as I'd like. Time to crawl under and take a look.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/9/20 11:41 a.m.

Sub-arrrggghhh-ru.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 1:14 p.m.

Thanks yall.  As best I can tell it's a GT limited too.  It has heated seats, mirrors, windshield, a big crazy sun roof.  Which I was told doesnt work.  The guy I bought it from (a factory trained Subaru tech gone indy) said his friend he got it from told him not to open it so he didnt, and neither have I.  I'm gonna have to disconnect the switch or something because even the threat of a permanent hole in the roof may not be enough to keep my inner 8 yr old from trying it anyway 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 1:18 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

The guy I bought it from (a factory trained Subaru tech gone indy) said his friend he got it from told him not to open it so he didnt,

You would think a "factory trained subaru tech," would have more knowledge than to just rely on "what his friend told him...."

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 1:24 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

True.  But if the saying about mechanics not wanting to work on their own stuff is true, I'm glad he took care of the drivetrain and other items instead of the sunroof.  He is a friend so I trust him, and it's not unusual to me that he didnt need or want to open it, my parents dont open theirs ever, not do they use any of the windows but the drivers and that's just to get a large sweet tea at McDonald's (EWW)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/9/20 1:32 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Justjim75 said:

The guy I bought it from (a factory trained Subaru tech gone indy) said his friend he got it from told him not to open it so he didnt,

You would think a "factory trained subaru tech," would have more knowledge than to just rely on "what his friend told him...."

Not if you're trying to flip it fast. Disclose that the sunroof doesn't work and say you were warned not to open it to the buyer. Boom done. As long as you are pricing accordingly I don't see the issue. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
9/9/20 2:57 p.m.

I recently sold my 2006 Outback XT Limited.  I wrote many posts about it, so you could search for those.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
9/9/20 3:26 p.m.

I have had 4 subbys, great cars, check the drive shaft, I had the one on mine snap on my 02 outback along with the read subframe rust out.  I have a 2 95 L lagecys wagons with stick. One 02 outback wagon, and now a 07 impeza wagon.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
9/9/20 3:43 p.m.

I’ve got the same wagon in blue that I bought new in ‘05. It is a terrific all around car. 

Is the replacement engine stock or modified at all? They are accused of having weak pistons as they frequently break ringlands. Mine was trouble free until around 145k miles when it broke 2, on a stock engine/ tune. Personally I think It’s more that they spec’ed too tight of a ring gap for a turbo motor. Coupled with a too lean in the midrange with the stock tune, the rings expand, butt, and snap the ring land. I’d recommend getting a safer tune to fatten up the lean spots. Also don’t load up the engine too much at part throttle- even though the engine will happily haul you up that long hill in 5th, downshift to 4th. Especially if you live in an area where 91 octane is the best that you can get. 

The throttle lag is not the e-throttle that most suspect. It’s the very heavy dual mass flywheel. I switched to a lightened WRX style flywheel and clutch, and it was a night and day difference. A tune may help mask it, but most of the lag is mass induced. It drives like a different car with the change. 

The sunroof problem is likely the mechanism that pops the front section up. The small glass section at the front is supposed to pop up like a deflector, while the large section slides back and opens. Mine was only about 2 years old and right at 36,000 miles when it broke. I had to get Subaru involved to get it warrantied, as the trip to the dealer to bring it in put it over 36k (It was under 36k when I first brought it in, they pushed me out two weeks then tried to deny due to mileage.) It was a small plastic piece on the rail that the main sunroof pulled on to pop up the front section. With one side broken, the front section would twist and only pop halfway up, lock, and not come back closed. They are likely telling you not to open it because it won’t pop back down again. When mine first broke, I saw that something was wrong when opening. I stopped before it opened all of the way and it closed just fine. When I took it to the dealer the second time, when they denied the warranty, they opened it all the way and got it stuck. They just gave the car back to me like that. Subaru wasn’t pleased with the pics I sent them. It wasn’t that big a deal to close when I got home. I had to remove the screws that held the front glass in place, then I could reach the mechanism that locked it in place and release it. Probably took me 15 minutes being extra careful. Replacing the broken piece itself looks like a lot more work, the headliner and I’m guessing main sunroof panel assembly need to come out. 

Other than that- main issues are the banjo bolt filters for the variable valve timing and turbo oil supply. Most say they get plugged and are ticking time bombs, mine were spotless when I pulled my 145k mile engine, Mobile 1 changes every 5k miles. The oil pickup tubes were known to crack, there are aftermarket replacements and I think an updated Subaru part. The radio and HVAC controls can go in and out. There was a bad solder joint on the board that is common, easy fix. I did have the throwout bearing go bad at 100k. Other than that, I had many trouble free miles. 

Edit- one more thing. You mentioned the lag, I was thinking E-throttle and heavy flywheel. I also had the turbo wastegate arm walk on me so that the flapper wasn’t completely covering the wastegate hole. The arm rides in a bushing on the turbine housing. I had to tap/press mine back in. Fixed a lag problem that I didn’t realize was so bad until it was fixed. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/9/20 5:32 p.m.

I really like these in terms of size, looks, and the way they drive, but every time someone talks about them it’s like the post above: “Other than this, this, this, this, and this, they’re great cars.”

Makes me sad because I think they meet allot of needs.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/9/20 5:42 p.m.

Still one of the best looking wagons to my eyes, especially from the side view.  But yea, numerous opportunities for improvement from what I read here time and again.

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) Dork
9/9/20 5:49 p.m.

My wife loves hers, and I like driving it too. Another '05 GT limited but sadly an auto trans for her...

Issues are largely just precautions that any car needs for hard use. The banjo bolt filters like mentioned above. Also, switch to a later wrx up-pipe into the turbo to remove the pre-cat and use a tuner to shut of the light it will cause. I use a cobb access port and even their off the shelf tune is an improvement. 

I suggest a switch to the JDM center dash if you want to fit a newer double din stereo. Instructions are online and it really updates what is otherwise a nice and comfy interior. 

Ours is pretty modified and has handled every conceivable situation flawlessly with just general maintenance. We plan to keep it around for a while longer.

last year at solo nats

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 7:20 p.m.

Banjo bolt screens are gone, up pipe was either gutted or replaced with non cat style, already have the double din/right hand drive configuration center stack (for mad JDM street cred, yo) with a good sound system.  I also have the factory unit supposedly fully functioning as a backup. The sunroof is no big deal with winter in Maine on the horizon.  Tune installed to turn off CEL has been done too, plus a little as he claims 285hp.  The clutch is aftermarket overzealous "I'm gonna make a 1000 hp and need it to hold" and the guy I bought it from said he thought he heard the throw out bearing making a little noise and if it went out he would repair it for free, so I'm going to try to get a deal on the WRX clutch and flywheel mentioned above installed and kill 3 or 4 birds with one trans R&R.

Can you tell I do a lot of research BEFORE I buy a car, as well as ask the hive after?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

Can you reccomend an upgraded sway bar set?  I'm coming from a Miata on FM coilovers and sway bars and it feels like I'm driving a pontoon boat.  Not really but.....

9/9/20 7:37 p.m.

I prefer a large rear bar and stock front bar, but your preference may vary. The cusco rear bar was the largest I could find and I used kartboy end links for it. 

It helped generate some rotation, but a hard jab at the brakes is often still needed to unload the rear for tight maneuvers. 

Sounds like a well sorted ride you picked up. That is a lot of power on a smallish stock turbo! I upgraded to 16g internals on mine...

9/9/20 7:40 p.m.

fwiw I installed Tein coilovers and they are OK. Not the best, not the worst...

I keep it still fairly high so my wife doesn't worry about scrapes but still enjoy the ability to tune them depending on driving area and tires mounted,  etc.

If you are going to upgrade the brakes or need better feel when hauling the weight down i reccomend a brace for the master cylinder. It is a lot of vehicle to get stopped!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 7:47 p.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

I've tried to include "claimed 285hp" and "I was told" because I've learned that the size of a fish, the beauty of a girlfriend/wife and the power of a car are all exaggerated by around 25%

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/9/20 7:50 p.m.

RARE CAR ALERT!!!

I was going to ask if it blew up yet, but I saw that it has 15k on a replacement engine. Glad that's already out of the way. I haven't seen a stock LGT of that vintage make it much past 100k stock without blowing up. Glad the banjo bolt issues were fixed; I've seen first hand what happens when those clog. A friend's '05 LGT got oil starved, wiped its cam lobes, and spun just about ever bearing around 100k mi. Whole long block needed to be replaced. 

Lag could be due to a few things, including the tune itself. Are there any other supporting mods for whatever tune it has? 

For the shifter stuff, I suggest treating it to a full host of Kartboy and Turn In Concepts shift and linkage bushings. It should hopefully help with the weirdness. 

You have a real unicorn. Enjoy! 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 7:56 p.m.

As far as I can tell the only mechanical changes from stock are clutch stuff and the exhaust. Its 3" stainless mandrel bent from the turbo to the rear axle, where it splits to 2 3" pipes with ginormous fart can-ish mufflers.   I would say this is the least restrictive turbo to tailpipe you can get, and I love it because its wicked, evil and obnoxious but I can honestly say "yeah, it came that way"

It wont be there for too too long I dont think.  Then again I may get used to it

9/9/20 8:19 p.m.

Ha, I hear you about other people's claims!

Mine has a cobb downpipe and an invisible exhaust after that. I have grown used to the distinctive rumble and dont consider it too loud until you press the go pedal down...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/9/20 8:36 p.m.

I had a full 3" turbo-back exhaust on my old 2002 WRX wagon with one of the most obnoxiously loud catbacks at the time. Since it was a wagon, the hatch area just acted as a "boxer resonating chamber" and drove me nuts after a while. But it did shoot flames, so that made up for it. laugh

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/9/20 10:43 p.m.

I just bought a 2004 WRX wagon this spring, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

The Impreza wagon body is really more of just an elongated hatchback. The legacy is a true wagon. Very nice.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/20 11:41 p.m.

Thanks for all the enthusiasm and compliments. Dusterb13 facilitated me getting my first Miata, and I took it from stock except for the Hard Dog, salvaged title and Rustoleum possibly done in the dark (lol, sorry Mike) to a 2018 Challenger  to a fully modified track weapon, and I loved it, but when things changed and there was no way I could keep/afford/transport 2 cars and a motorcycle the responsible father in me knew the lowered roadster had to go.  I knew the 4 wheel drive SUV was going to be miserable right about week two so I sold them both and got the wagon.

If I can hunt and bring home a deer from a Miata, then surely I can make this car work as my one 4 wheeled vehicle. Pics or it didnt happen you say?

This is the day I got it:

2018 Challenge:

Hunting pic:

The day I sold it:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48OcyMEzMn0q9oAsTrVZlaszZnV9715oQSBaKL23pcNYzZZWQIvrW9RbXLI9HHoy