Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/17/20 8:09 p.m.

Edit: title should say clutch pedal  

I am working on my challenge car.

I am running a Colorado manual transmission. I got  the clutch pedal  and the master from the junk yard when I got the transmission. 

However  there is almost no room to mount the clutch pedal in my 190e.  The Colorado one is way too big. There is basically no flat spots to mount either. 

I am thinking about trying to run and after market floor mounted clutch pedal . It is a bigger budget hit but may be worth it if easier for me. 

would this speedway unit work? 
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Hydraulic-Clutch-Floor-Mount-Pedal-Kit,57507.html

i think it would work if I can figure out the lines to the slave/throw out bearing. 

does the master have to mount outside the firewall. Or can I just mount everything inside in line and then just drill a hole to run the hydraulic line? 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/17/20 11:51 p.m.

Master cylinder can be either side of the fire wall. If floor mounted you need to have a remote reservoir that is above the slave cylinder in order to make it bleed. The most important issue is getting the correct bore size. Match that to your donor and you will be in the ball park.

7/18/20 6:04 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks for the info, I will check the bore size. In the Colorado the the slave cylinder is the throw out bearing as well. 

If I got that speedway until that comes with the master right on the pedal I would still need another reservoir before the fluid gets to the slave cylinder/throw out bearing combo?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/18/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Gravity will cause the fluid to drain back out of the vent hole if the reservoir is below the slave. Also difficult to bleed, which the internal slaves are anyway.  I am not familiar with the Speedway kit, but it is probably Tilton, and all of their master cylinders come out of the box with the parts to mount the reservoir on the master or remotely. The higher the reservoir the easier the bleed job! If the reservoir is an integral part of the master cylinder casting, like some Girling & Lockheed units, you need a special cap with a fitting in place of the bleed hole. This is a simple DIY job.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
7/18/20 1:04 p.m.

Is it necessarily a good idea to match the bore size? Thinking back on GRM’s brake article the gist seems to be that a swap needs to match flow of fluid. If the OP’s floor set up has a shorter effective throw wouldn’t the bore need to be bigger? Or vice versus for a longer throw?

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/18/20 2:43 p.m.

Floor mount pedals usually feel "weird" unless you are in a very upright seating position like a VW bus.  Isn't there a factory clutch pedal assembly for the 190E?

7/18/20 6:31 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Ok. Thanks. I think I need to find some you tube videos or something so I can visualize how the remote resivor to the master plumbing works. 

7/18/20 6:32 p.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

There is a factory clutch pedal for 190e. I am just having trouble finding one for challenge budget money.  Maybe though my best bet is to just find one of these. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/18/20 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

The remote reservoir for a Tilton is the same one that clamps on to the master itself if you don't need it. They give you a bracket and hose for if you do. Otherwise a tin can with a lid, like a 1 pint brake fluid can with a hose out the bottom to the master. There are some master cylinders that can only be set up with remote. Look through the Pegasus catalog for current examples and high prices.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y2uVc9rWqvKqUkZJzbAiJTCPCqhcDsYEZ5GaG70CHPTY4aLTgMWA6yiR0dghlOY8