1 2 3
noddaz
noddaz Dork
7/21/15 9:03 a.m.

Sounds like a great job! I have sold parts and worked on cars most of my life. And while I don't own a Miata, I do work on my Sister-in-laws 92 M edition. I can even sweep floors efficiently. Shame I am not in Colorado.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
7/21/15 9:50 a.m.

This seems like a sample interview scenario. ;)

Keith Tanner wrote: Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner.
patgizz deep personal confession - i hate miatas.
Keith Tanner wrote: Then I would recommend you rethink your application.
eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
7/21/15 10:04 a.m.

Wish I was qualified for this one. Visited Grand Junction and Fruita recently, and could definitely see myself living out there.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/21/15 10:35 a.m.

I'd love to apply but if the wife moves it's going to be a place with no winter.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/21/15 10:41 a.m.
skierd wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: Not in a position to uproot and move, but am otherwise qualified. Maybe next time there's turnover..
Same, though I could use more wrenching experience as it's been a minute since I've worked on cars and Miatas. Great excuse to get a new Miata though... For next time...

There's not actually that much wrenching involved in the job. You'll need to be able to walk customers through various procedures, but 75% of the time that's just paraphrasing the instructions. We don't expect everyone to walk in the door with the depth of Miata knowledge that the existing techs do, but you will have to learn

Every tech that works here, moved here to work with us.

Winter is pretty mild here. We're in the desert, and we get less than 10" of precipitation a year. Sometimes I need to take the shovel and push an inch of snow off the driveway, but usually I don't bother because it melts the same day. However, we can go visit it - there's an 11,000' mountain on the edge of town that'll have 10' of light, fluffy snow by Christmas while we still have green grass. It's 2 hours to Telluride and Crested Butte, which are superior to Vail/Aspen/etc. 100 miles the other way is Moab, which has much the same weather that we do. It's a really nice place to live. It costs 30% less to live here than it does in Oakland, there are no emissions tests and cars don't rust.

BTD
BTD New Reader
7/21/15 3:49 p.m.

Applied for this earlier today! Pretty awesome opportunity!

Exocets count as Miatas, right?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/21/15 4:57 p.m.

We know these guys and know the area they are in and we love Miatas. Working there would be a win, win, win.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
7/21/15 6:33 p.m.

Geeze...I'm a shoe in...except for owning, modding, fixing miatas, or living anywhere nearby, not to mention being able fit in a miata.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
7/21/15 7:15 p.m.

If we hadn't just built a house, I'd be lobbying the other half hard. Colorado is definitely on our list of places to move to when we eventually leave Alaska, but that's several years out still and we still love it up here.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
7/21/15 8:14 p.m.
skierd wrote: If we hadn't just built a house, I'd be lobbying the other half hard. Colorado is definitely on our list of places to move to when we eventually leave Alaska, but that's several years out still and we still love it up here.

Rent the house out.

Move to Colorado.

Problem solved.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
7/22/15 1:47 p.m.

Figures, I'm gearing up to move and this comes open. I can't convince SWMBO that we really should be moving to CO not WV. Something about pay rates for a job she's got vs no job. Oh well, best of luck to those who do get to apply.

Lof8
Lof8 Reader
7/22/15 2:17 p.m.

What's the salary range for this position?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/22/15 2:55 p.m.

I replaced a coil pack on a Miata once... does that count?

calteg
calteg HalfDork
7/22/15 2:59 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: What's the salary range for this position?

This. I'm likely overqualified, but cold weather is my kryptonite. Most years it barely dips below 32 degrees in Austin, and that's plenty cold for me.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/22/15 3:02 p.m.

Salary range would also be a concern for me as well, I think my Tech Writing background and experience with numerous motor swaps/suspension/brake stuff (including a Miata) means I'm qualified.

I'm also able to pack up at a moment's notice. If the compensation was enough, I could be there as soon as Friday morning for an interview.

EDIT: Went ahead and applied!

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
7/22/15 3:20 p.m.

this is something i would be greatly interested in and i would be reasonably qualified for except the miata ownership/work experience. but thinks to GRM im pretty sure i know more about miatas now then i do my own car

sounds like a great opportunity to work for a good company.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/22/15 4:28 p.m.

Not high enough to satisfy if salary is your only motivation. That's a conversation to have with Teri.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/22/15 4:28 p.m.
calteg wrote:
This. I'm likely overqualified, but cold weather is my kryptonite. Most years it barely dips below 32 degrees in Austin, and that's plenty cold for me.

Nobody is overqualified for this position. Heck, Norm Garrett called up and asked for advice the other day.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/22/15 4:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Not high enough to satisfy if salary is your only motivation. That's a conversation to have with Teri.

For me it's not the only motivation, just that's enough to starting to get back to normal after the last few months. I'm looking forward to chatting with her tomorrow when she gets back in the office.

She wasn't in, so I went ahead and sent over my resume.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
7/24/15 6:55 a.m.

I love that owning a Miata is a requirement.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
7/24/15 7:37 a.m.

There's a paycheck, too?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/24/15 9:28 a.m.
unevolved wrote: I love that owning a Miata is a requirement.

It says own or have owned.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
7/24/15 9:47 a.m.

This sounds like a fun opportunity. Hopefully by next time, I will have my degree and a Miata.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/15 9:49 a.m.

I suppose we'd take someone who had never owned a Miata if they were somehow still intimately familiar with the car. After all, people call us because we know more about the car than anyone else.

But you do have to be an enthusiast, customers will want to share with you how much they love the car and if you say "meh, I prefer the AE86 Corolla" it's rarely a good conversational gambit. Actually, if I hear you say "meh" at all I'll probably beat you with a shock absorber.

The last time we hired a tech was 2006, for those who are waiting for next time

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
7/24/15 10:24 a.m.

Sent this to a buddy who does this sort of work (I believe) for another race shop out east. He's a former spec miata racer, evo enthusiast, and is currently waiting on his exocet to be built. Maybe he'll be interested.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ipg3f02hPS9YRtsz1uK0hdDCec4GfYrCq2DjO0fGN5eAXqas2ApsMwKVBFXh1oyj