1 2 3
failboat
failboat Dork
5/15/12 6:41 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: It seems like you can't get rid of the Touch system. Call me old fashioned, I just want a knob and some buttons. Still, awesome on getting to go to the event. Sometimes enthusiasm pays off!

?

I was playing with the ST Builder yesterday, in base spec it comes with the Sync system. This is what you want if you want a knob and buttons to control things.

The one you dont want is the Sony powered system, also called My Ford Touch. (MFT) Looks like if you jump up to other packages this is standard. The one thing MFT has that the Sync doesnt is HD radio. I think I would have preferred this over Sirius on our Focus SE (yeah...wife insisted on subscribing...$$$$)

The base Focus ST looks like a friggin bargain.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
5/15/12 8:41 a.m.

All this talk of brakes being used as traction control made me think This idea is old as the hills. Farmers, on their tractors, use individual brakes to stop the spinning wheel, when they get in deep mud. Then also, bull dozers and skid steers are steered by brakes. OK, different thing. As far as brake wear, don't spin the wheels.and if you do, are you really concerned about wear ?

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
5/15/12 10:08 a.m.

I'm an admitted BRZ/FR-S fan, and I'd still take a hard look at the Focus ST before buying a BRZ/FR-S. I think Ford did a great job with this one!

To the OP - congrats on your purchase, and I can't wait to hear your review!

Hal
Hal Dork
5/15/12 10:55 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: I've been following the development and release of the 2013 Focus ST pretty enthusiastically and finally pre-ordered one earlier this month when it became possible to do so. We ordered it in Oxford White with the ST3 package.

As a long time Focus driver, I think you will enjoy the ST very much. I think you should have gotten this color though.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
5/15/12 12:16 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote: What are the advantages of the Focus ST over a Mazdaspeed3?
It doesn't look like the Mazdaspeed.
It doesn't look *better*, either.
Anything looks better then a Mazdaspeed.

We find ourselves in total agreement. The newest MS3 is ugly incarnate.

And my wife wants a Focus in a couple years when she's done re-school. I may need to convince her to get one of these.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
5/15/12 3:21 p.m.

I see.

I will amend my statement to be: "It stinks that you can't get Recaros without getting the Touch system."

Also, "It stinks you can't get HIDs without going to package three."

Etc. etc. etc. Less of a complaint about what will probably be a really nifty car and more of a complaint about the way cars are sold these days.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/17/12 8:11 a.m.

I'm sitting in the lobby waiting to get to the airport to get home. Yesterday was epic! I'll post pics and vid of the cars and Tanner and greg and...

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/17/12 8:26 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I see. I will amend my statement to be: "It stinks that you can't get Recaros without getting the Touch system." Also, "It stinks you can't get HIDs without going to package three." Etc. etc. etc. Less of a complaint about what will probably be a really nifty car and more of a complaint about the way cars are sold these days.

From what I've heard, the builder program manufacturers have on their websites are rarely the end all be all for options. If you go and build one at the dealership they might have more options available.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/17/12 9:29 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote: What are the advantages of the Focus ST over a Mazdaspeed3?
It doesn't look like the Mazdaspeed.
It doesn't look *better*, either.
Anything looks better then a Mazdaspeed.

Agree. The focus isn't the best looking car, but it's way better looking than that fugly new MS3.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
5/18/12 6:13 p.m.

As someone who has lusted after the Focus RS since, I first got a whiff of a rumor of one on an internet forum, I AM disappointed that we cant get one in the US. And I AM upset that three door hatches aren't sold here. And I think it's ludicrous that Subaru is the only maker to currently sell AWD Turbo Hatches in the US.

And I want to like the Focus ST, but don't know if I will feel like I'm driving a bastard stepchild every time I get in it. But the OPs pic in white w/stripes is pure sex IMO.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/20/12 8:22 a.m.
4eyes wrote: And I want to like the Focus ST, but don't know if I will feel like I'm driving a bastard stepchild every time I get in it. But the OPs pic in white w/stripes is pure sex IMO.

I agree about the 3 door, AWD, and RS comments, but I think calling the ST a bastard stepchild isn't accurate or fair. The ST line has been around a long time, created specifically to create a step between the usual consumer grade products and the hardcore RS stuff, and I think it's a very good compromise between both. I'd love to have an RS, but day-to-day, hauling kids, running errands, etc., it just won't work well. If the ST didn't exist, I'd be stuck looking at a regular old Focus to meet those needs and miss out on fun driving. Besides, no one calls the WRX the bastard stepchild to the STi, though that would be a fair equivalent to your comments on the ST versus the RS.

I accept and will enjoy the ST as what it is, but I'll continue to lust after an RS too. That's just the way it is.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/21/12 6:29 p.m.

Okay, finally got some of my stuff hosted...

pics: http://photobucket.com/FocusSTKeyWest?albumview=slideshow

Vids:

Focus STs being unloaded... annoyingly, I talk a lot: http://youtu.be/CkeN6p1W6bA

Tanner discusses the ST...

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdhrwQpOIuI

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HqXYS5U5uY

There's some other folks' footage from the "Coast to Coast" commercial shoot on youtube now, but I'll post mine when I get it edited/uploaded/hosted.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
5/21/12 8:21 p.m.

I have to admit, I love all the cool colors they have for this thing! Thinking of it as the WRX to the RS's STi is definitely helping me like it more!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/24/12 11:09 p.m.

Rocker stripe... yes or no?

BTW, I thought I'd share this... had Tanner Foust sign a sunvisor from the XR... "RALLY IT!":

failboat
failboat Dork
5/25/12 6:53 a.m.

I do like the rocker stripe, more so than the ones over the top of the car. Maybe get some text in the same font as the Ford GT stripes, but have it say Ford ST instead.

Ford does offer this one that follows the body lines but its a bit......ehhh....its ok, not awesome IMO..... Where it says "Focus" is actually a cutout that lets the body color show through. I haven't seen it in person.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
5/25/12 9:07 a.m.

Agreed on yes to the side stripe, and agreed that "Ford ST" or "Focus ST" would be cool.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/26/12 11:03 a.m.

I'm published! j/k, but the article I wrote for Ford Social sharing my experience is now up... check it out: http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/focussedan/inside-the-filming-of-the-focus-st-commercial/

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/26/12 11:06 a.m.

Way ahead of you on the scripted side stripe... did this at the same time I did the other, but I'm not sure I like it as much...

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
6/4/12 11:50 p.m.

Well the commercial went live today... playing on G4 (during E3 coverage) and SyFy apparently. But instead of sitting around waiting for it to appear, here it is on youtube:

http://youtu.be/sZNS84fqqoc

BTW, look for my oh-so-brief appearance at 00:29.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CoAfb9yUvJhDbohrI3FTOnnHo7Det2P5jbiErIeBpi1V48OC1Yiem7KBajtqCJtV