1 2 3 4
b13990
b13990 Reader
5/19/20 1:34 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Corvettes just don't do it for some people. If you're not one of those people, I think the Corvette wins going away.

Unfortunately (?) for me, I'm one of those people who just won't drive a Corvette.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/19/20 1:54 p.m.

A Caterham 620R is the same price... Can I have that instead?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/19/20 1:57 p.m.

I know it's not on your list, but if I ever have $60-$70K in car money, I'm getting one of these:

morello159
morello159 Reader
5/19/20 2:20 p.m.

God, whoever designed the Pep boys rent-a-wheel specials for the C8 really needs to be fired. Those might be the worst factory wheels I've ever seen.  For my money, I'm getting a gently used Cayman GTS. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/19/20 2:20 p.m.

I'd go 'Vette personally. I don't really like the inside of the Challenger and feels it small inside for how garguantan it is. Which is too bad because I LOVE how they look on the outside.

I also don't need a back seat.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/19/20 2:33 p.m.

Unless you need the backseat, I can't see a reason to go Challenger over the C8.  The C8 will handle far better and I just can't get over thinking about how ancient the platform under the Challenger is.  It's dated and it shows inside and out. 

Having said that, no way in hell would I kick a Challegner out of my driveway if it showed up.  But given the choice, I'm taking the C8 every day of the week and twice on Sunday...or whatever HPDE day is.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/19/20 2:50 p.m.

I am thinking that I would skip both of them and get a mustang.  This on in particular seems tasty.

2019 GT 350

I just priced a BULLET Mustang and with basically every option I was at about 60K and the 2020 shelby GT 350's look to be starting at 60K

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/19/20 2:50 p.m.

Neither. For 65k I’m buying an LS1 nb Miata and a nice daily like a Genesis. In the world where the listed cars are the only options, I think I gotta say hellcat. Even though the c8 smashes it in every meaningful variable, I just like just like the challenger more. 

5/19/20 2:56 p.m.

Another reason to choose the GT3 for $65k... you can drive it quite a bit and still get most of your money back.  New Corvettes and Mopar products will be racing towards zero in the mean time (or very low resales).  Look at C5 and 2006-2010 SRT prices if you don't believe this. 

Yah for $65k and these were the only two choices, probably a Hellcat....  but I'd have to drive both to be sure. 

I really like the Cayman GTS idea too;  that's a super nice car that will hold it's value, and drive wonderfully.  Yes, it's not as fast as the other two, but fast isn't everything. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/19/20 3:37 p.m.

Typical GRM, lol

Would you choose A or B? 

"I would choose D"
"I would choose M"
"I would choose L"

ad nauseum

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/20 4:26 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm sure the Porsche is an amazing car, but that interior has NOT aged well. That looks like a teenager's cheap pep boys spray paint job on all those painted interior surfaces. Not that the C8 is much better, but GM isn't exactly renowned for their interior prowess.

JohnLClark
JohnLClark New Reader
5/19/20 4:48 p.m.

Like someone else said if I had more than one car, the Corvette.  But the Hellcat is the car I would get especially in the matte green color Dodge has now.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/19/20 4:56 p.m.

I mean, first year GM product, with an auto? Even if it is better around the track, just nope.

Hellcat all day long....better at everything except a race course and it can be had with a stick.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
5/19/20 5:51 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Typical GRM, lol

Would you choose A or B? 

"I would choose D"
"I would choose M"
"I would choose L"

ad nauseum

Would you rather have hakarl or balut?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
5/19/20 6:29 p.m.
morello159 said:

God, whoever designed the Pep boys rent-a-wheel specials for the C8 really needs to be fired. Those might be the worst factory wheels I've ever seen. 

I think the designer had something far more hard core in mind (satanic pentagram) than what your rank-n-file rent a wheel guy would typically be going for...

I apologize in advance if there are any "what has been seen can't be unseen" events taking place.

Added later...

Sure, lots of rims have five spokes (five lugs is the most common number so it follows). However, from a strength to weight ratio prospective, breaking each spoke into two sections with no cross bracing makes absolutely no sense nor does taking a contorted path radiating outward. Unless, the objective is to conjure the imagery of a thorny satanic pentagram made of twigs.  Add to that the vestigial horn knobs placed on the outer rim between each spoke and I, for one, don’t accept this as a coincidence.

I’d still take the C8 over the muscle car. But, I don’t appreciate the rim designer’s subliminal manipulation any more than I appreciate somebody trying to get me to drink their booze by airbrushing boobs on ice cubes.

I won’t be surprised if I take heat for drawing a conclusion I can’t prove…fair enough but as a math guy, the odds are just too long for me to accept coincidence as a viable explanation.

5/19/20 6:30 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm sure the Porsche is an amazing car, but that interior has NOT aged well. That looks like a teenager's cheap pep boys spray paint job on all those painted interior surfaces. Not that the C8 is much better, but GM isn't exactly renowned for their interior prowess.

That interior is 16 years old.  Ever see what a Corvette interior looks like after 16 years?  The painted parts are optional as is carbon fiber or even wood....  I like the painted parts. I have painted consoles to install in my 996 and Boxster S.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
5/19/20 6:34 p.m.
MrFancypants said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
MrFancypants said:

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the idea that I can get over 700 hp with a warranty for $65k.

I'm furloughed, so I'm trying to wrap my head around just the $65k part laugh

Definite vote for the C8.  It is a tuned, mid-engined, capable track car for the street.  The Hellcat is a heavy, floppy sedan with a monster under the hood.  If you want to actually USE the hp for more than bragging rights, get the C8

I think I would defer to my four year old on this one.  Show him both, and buy the one he gets more excited about.  laugh  I'd find something to love no matter which one ended up in the garage.

Don’t show him a steam engine.  You’ll have to get a railroad then.

Never seen a 4 year old not just flip the berk out the first time they saw a steam locomotive.  I don’t know what it is.  

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/20 6:39 p.m.

To live with on a daily basis? Hellcat. 

To flog around a track? C8

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/19/20 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

having had both, Balut  all day long 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
5/19/20 7:17 p.m.

For 65 you can get a manual one of these. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/19/20 7:44 p.m.

Having owned a 1st year 'Vette (C6), Hellcat 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.  Also, Challenger/Mustang/Camaro is much more pleasant in daily use in the real world.

And since the GRM answer is 'G'... how 'bout a ZL1 Camaro?  That's the choice we made in that price bracket.  Ours was a little cheaper since someone was nice enough to trade it in with 2700 miles.  (I think they soiled their diaper after stabbing the loud pedal.)

All day comfort?  Check

650hp/650tq?  Check

Track capability?  Check

All this with a factory warranty?  Check

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/19/20 8:08 p.m.

I'm in the furlough camp like Curtis so that 65 large for a ride is a lot. To stay on topic, the last Corvette that did anything for me was the C5. C6-7 got the rough end of the ugly stick and c8 doesn't do anything for me (helluva bargain for a mid engine car). Hellcats are cool looking but I like 4 doors so ill take a CTS-V Wagon and show myself the door. laugh

5/19/20 8:16 p.m.

Since some of us are in the furlough camp including my  better half, maybe we should make it the 6.5k bracket. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/20/20 6:53 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
MrFancypants said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
MrFancypants said:

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the idea that I can get over 700 hp with a warranty for $65k.

I'm furloughed, so I'm trying to wrap my head around just the $65k part laugh

Definite vote for the C8.  It is a tuned, mid-engined, capable track car for the street.  The Hellcat is a heavy, floppy sedan with a monster under the hood.  If you want to actually USE the hp for more than bragging rights, get the C8

I think I would defer to my four year old on this one.  Show him both, and buy the one he gets more excited about.  laugh  I'd find something to love no matter which one ended up in the garage.

Don’t show him a steam engine.  You’ll have to get a railroad then.

Never seen a 4 year old not just flip the berk out the first time they saw a steam locomotive.  I don’t know what it is.  

Ozark Mountain Railcar has got you covered. They got a few steam locomotives listed for sale, a Lake Superior & Ishpeming Consolidation, a Florida East Coast Pacific and a couple Porter narrow-gauge plantation locomotives. Sadly, you have to make an account to even see prices.

https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/railEquipmentGrid.php?category=Locomotives

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/20/20 7:28 a.m.

The C8 is impressive in every way and I think they look great, especially in person. I love the bright blue color. But I think I’d have to go with the Hellcat. Something about the retro styling, widebody flares, and  noises it makes just makes me feel funny in a good way.

Also, what a time to be alive, that cars like this are available.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e8mQf6GVy9MfsOeU1hFcc1w5FhWWwaH1u4Xb7dfbgyj8lk5iaK7Pk2LfqpaTtj4T