3 4 5
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/21/20 9:10 p.m.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/10/car-and-driver-says-the-corvette-c8-z51-is-faster-than-the-c7-and-they-are-wrong/

And if you are chasing lap times a ZL1 Camaro 1LE might be a better buy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/a-le-mans-winner-ripped-the-c8-corvette-around-the-nurb-1841459406/amp

It's an awesome Corvette but it's not the leap forward that was promised, yet.  

And it still doesn't have the presence or sound of the Hellcat.  

I think I personally prefer my fleet of slow cheap cars to either one though.  I do see more test drives in my future though.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/22/20 7:40 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

So the truth about cars article is reasonable enough but says nothing about whether the c8 is faster or not. It just says the car and driver test was invalid. Seems fair. But until a good driver tests both cars with similar tires that's not enough to say it's unimproved and possibly slower. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/22/20 8:00 a.m.

They seem to be pretty close in most tests I've seen.  The C8 Z51 is 10 seconds faster around the Ring than the C7 Z51 by GMs numbers, but the C7 Z06 is quite a bit quicker again and so is the ZL1 1LE, surprisingly enough. 

The C8 may go ballistic once that new Caddy turbo engine appears though.  I did find an article where Randy Probst talked about GM needing to get all the electronics right for the handling to be even better. 

It's definitely a work in progress.  It's just not the huge leap forward over the front engine RWD platform, a lot including myself, thought it would be.  Which means the C5 Z06 is still the GM lapping bargain until prices on 1LE Camaros comes down a bit more.  I'm really tempted to go drive a 1LE SS, and a 392 powered Challenger (don't need Hellcat power).  The insane part is that if I do, I'd probably buy one, which is why I also avoid driving ND Miatas. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/22/20 8:58 a.m.

Lightly used '16-up SS 1LE Camaros can be had for ~$30k these days.  That is one hell of a performance bargain.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/25/20 8:54 a.m.

This might not be the tire roaster compared to others mentioned here but since I live in the northeast, ill take the challenger gt with all wheel drive. Two sets of winter/non winter wheels/tires and take rest of cash to pay bills. laugh

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhhJxPSRlc4SB13ZNyOjMLZocXVbrRGxdJx2BBQpryRRcu1DHlnIJXjwXSMHOWc9