1 2 3
RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
8/4/22 2:29 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Keep in mind that anything rotary powered WILL make you an excellent mechanic (if you want to drive it).  Or, frustrated as E36 M3 if you do NOT become an excellent mechanic.

I put 286,000 miles on my FC without issue and my 39 year old FB hasn't asked for anything except for an alternator and battery.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/4/22 6:21 p.m.

Are you planning on actually being able to use these as, you know, driving cars at some point?  If you plan on driving them, I couldn't think of two worse choices for a young driver to have.  Neither of those cars are paragons of reliability....

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/4/22 6:59 p.m.

This all seems quite suspect.

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/4/22 7:04 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Probabky not LOL, I just and rev and shift them

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/22 7:46 p.m.

I feel like this is some kind of troll or joke or something but I can't figure out what the end goal is lol. I would love to know the backstory here as to how 14-year-old has five cars and where he keeps them, and how many cars dad/mom has.

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/4/22 7:56 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

So, It's not a joke, and I wanna know which is better, I only have 3 right now LOL, and I keep them in my dad's backyard, mom has 1, dad  has 6.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/8/22 4:31 p.m.
MrStickShift said:

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

So, I just own them, and I don't drive them.

This needs some explaining...

Why not own any other piece of random scrap metal, if you aren't gonna drive them?  Do you just sit in them and make "Vroom vroom" noises?

I'm not criticizing.  Just very curious.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/8/22 4:38 p.m.

I have a friend who used to fix up cars before he could legally drive, he'd end up selling them and then buying and starting another cooler project with the aim of eventually having a nice car ready as soon as he could legally drive...sadly he went through much cooler cars in his project-flipping days than he ever ended up driving.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/8/22 6:01 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Not a terrible game plan, except OP doesn't seem to be searching for projects worthy of flipping. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
8/8/22 6:24 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Keep in mind that anything rotary powered WILL make you an excellent mechanic (if you want to drive it).  Or, frustrated as E36 M3 if you do NOT become an excellent mechanic.

I put 286,000 miles on my FC without issue and my 39 year old FB hasn't asked for anything except for an alternator and battery.

Oh, I wasn't bagging on the rotary.  They just require special care!

Plugs often.  Drain replace the oil if you flood it.

If it does go wrong, no code checker to tell you what's up.

Wiring that is typically old and crispy.

The NA engines themselves are bulletproof.  I have owned 12 rotary vehicles.  They taught me a lot!

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/8/22 6:30 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Exactly what I'm doing.

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/8/22 6:33 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Well, my dad had a B6, and sold it, and I want another. And since I was about 10, I've wanted an RX-8

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/9/22 8:06 a.m.

In reply to MrStickShift :

But you just want to own them?  Not drive them?

Im honestly confused. 

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/9/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Yes. I just want to own them. I've found it's where I am the happiest.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/9/22 11:16 a.m.
MrStickShift said:

In reply to SV reX :

Oh come on.  

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
8/9/22 11:25 a.m.

bus pass is a good option or if Uber sells gift cards. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/9/22 12:20 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:
MrStickShift said:

In reply to SV reX :

Oh come on.  

No offense OP, you seem like a nice kid.  However I'm not sure everything you're saying is quite accurate.  Are these cars your parents have owned and you helped with?  That's awesome if you do.  You can't legally own a car anyway, at least as far as I'm aware.  Who is actually paying the cash for these cars?

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/9/22 2:55 p.m.

I agree; he definitely seems like a very nice 14 year old. But still 14. 
He is at least trying to have an interest in cars, as did I by then. He also has a dad into cars, and a profile on here. Neither was available to me! I'm grateful my dad at least didn't try too hard to discourage me. 
But so far, we've only seen a $500 jeep, and a wrecked van. Long way from asking about cars in the several grand range. 

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/9/22 6:39 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Well, I like cars, and I wanna know if they will be good, or I'll be in way over my head in maintaince. 

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/9/22 6:40 p.m.

OK, so a couple are my dad's, but, I'm paying cash for most of the cars, I paid the full $800 for the jeep. And we just have my dad sign the bill of sale.

MrStickShift
MrStickShift New Reader
8/9/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

There's also my Ranger which is worth -$3K.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/9/22 7:02 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:
MrStickShift said:

In reply to SV reX :

Oh come on.  

No offense OP, you seem like a nice kid.  However I'm not sure everything you're saying is quite accurate.  Are these cars your parents have owned and you helped with?  That's awesome if you do.  You can't legally own a car anyway, at least as far as I'm aware.  Who is actually paying the cash for these cars?

I'm not sure what the deal is here, but I knew a few 14-year-olds with cars growing up. It's a great way to hang out with your dad, learn new mechanical skills, build a budget, etc. etc. 

Here's me with my Spitfire at age 12:

And here's the E30 I had by age 14:

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/9/22 10:52 p.m.
MrStickShift said:

In reply to 03Panther :

There's also my Ranger which is worth -$3K.

You also have not understood a rusty non running jeep with no "breaks" is not worth $3K, despite paying $800 for what might not have been a good deal. 
Again, you come across as a nice young man wanting to learn. This is a great place for it. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/10/22 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Absolutely, no doubt about it!  It's phenomenal to see youth getting into the car enthusiast world.  I love it when I see multi-generational teams in endurance racing.  

Oh, and you look exactly the same as you did at age 12.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
8/10/22 12:25 p.m.

Rotaries don't like to sit. The engines will rust inside, the iron seals will have issues sitting as well. They need to be taken to redline regularly to stay healthy. Seals dry up, all sorts of bad E36 M3.

For this reason, B6 all the way. You will kill the RX8 letting it sit.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EbXXZQFOnDfjcorSGTAGFXZkbglHd9ucjir5R0r3pVLiEhc2i7LEGUnRdgnNhWHe