MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/29/22 12:37 p.m.

So, trying to get my wife's 2013 F150 fixed has dragged on over a month. It's currently at a Ford dealer as well had thought the problem was covered under a recall, but apparently not. The problem appears to be a part on the transmission called a lead frames - an assembly of wiring and sensors.

And nobody can find any replacements.

Ford is apparently still making these, but not fast enough to keep up. I know that a dealership often has to use OE parts. If I could find a brand new lead frame myself, I'd be tempted to bring the truck home and swap the part in the driveway. But I can't find much in the way of non-OE sources, either. Dorman used to make one; some sources claim it wasn't quite as reliable as Ford's. But this seems to have gone NLA. There are a few listings on Amazon - shipping from China and by sources that don't usually sell auto parts. Probably either sketchy knock-offs, or they think they can source one after an order is placed.

Anyone have a lead on these lead frames, or inside info on what's holding up production? Alternatively, how crazy is it to think about rebuilding one at home or fabricating one?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/29/22 1:02 p.m.

Not helpful, but I have a 10R80 here that I had just installed a Ford valvebody, and get to do it a second time because one of the solenoid pistons is sticking.  "Second time" involves eating 12 quarts of fluid and $180 to program it to the PCM.  

Between that and other component issues I have had lately, one may gather that specs are being ignored in favor of just getting any product out the door.  NEW does mean Never Ever Worked, but having to replace fuel injectors five times and counting (for example) is a bit much.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/7/22 10:17 a.m.

Update - got the truck back last Friday and it is working well so far. Still, that was about 6 weeks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P0A84yRhuT16QHxs1Sa5UGh346ehttglefuv68IV2pyH1Zr4uC9QdaJspOgwxlZ0